Little Dominican Republic

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Most.of those wealthy enough dont even set foot in.NYC, apart from flying in and out of LGA or JFK. They most often stay in Jersey, shop.at Short Hills or the Palisades in Paramus.
Or if they do come into the City its 5th Av shopping at Hermes or the Apple Store.

Miami is a better location for idle tourism because of the intensity of Spanish.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

The person I mentioned and others that I know at that level have no worries about spanish. Most speak better english than I do.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Dont bad.mouth the South Bronx. Clearly you didnt see the Real Estate section of the Sunday New York Times, September 16, 2018. The South Bronx was on the front page.

Clearly, you haven't been there recently.

Yes, there are also gentrification efforts underway in the South Bronx, including renaming it to "SoBro"....but they have a long, I mean, long way to go to still.....South Bronx is still as gang-infested and crime-ridden as the Heights was 10-15 years ago.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I agree south bronx has made a great improvements form the crack era 80's......it's equal to villa mella now....only thing better is the police are not corrupt .... let me take that back some still are

Apr 7, 2014
Clearly, you haven't been there recently.

Yes, there are also gentrification efforts underway in the South Bronx, including renaming it to "SoBro"....but they have a long, I mean, long way to go to still.....South Bronx is still as gang-infested and crime-ridden as the Heights was 10-15 years ago.

Doubt it. I think you are 1978 Charles Bronson "Death Wish"-ing it here. Flashbacks of a reality that never existed. X Files did an episode on this.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Who care what the range is in Villa Milla is. Was not the point of the statement. More along the lines of why she would not visit there has nothing to do with rent or buy ranges. more to do with environment.

Washington Heights has changed a lot in the 10+ years since I lived there, very trendy lots of new places and people are out and about spending $$. Cant compare to Villa Mella that's just stupid. Please of great restaurants especially Malecon Restaurant which IMO puts any Dominican restaurant to shame in the whole DR in terms of service and food quality. Great nightlife as well w Dominican discos hopping till the wee hours.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Washington Heights has changed a lot in the 10+ years since I lived there, very trendy lots of new places and people are out and about spending $$. Cant compare to Villa Mella that's just stupid. Please of great restaurants especially Malecon Restaurant which IMO puts any Dominican restaurant to shame in the whole DR in terms of service and food quality. Great nightlife as well w Dominican discos hopping till the wee hours.

Indeed, my friend saw Lenny Kravitz perform last night at the United Palace on 175th St.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The gentrification movement has moved most of the Dominican population, especially new arrivals, to the Bronx sector. Fair argument can be made that there are now more Dominicans in the Bronx sector than there are in the Washington Heights area. This is definitely true of Lowell, Massachusetts.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The gentrification movement has moved most of the Dominican population, especially new arrivals, to the Bronx sector. Fair argument can be made that there are now more Dominicans in the Bronx sector than there are in the Washington Heights area. This is definitely true of Lowell, Massachusetts.

Dominicans have been moving into the Bronx since before 2000. gentrification had nothing to do with that. it was merely a case of overflow, and Washington Heights is connected to the Bronx at the hip at 181 St.

Apr 7, 2014
Dominicans have been moving into the Bronx since before 2000. gentrification had nothing to do with that. it was merely a case of overflow, and Washington Heights is connected to the Bronx at the hip at 181 St.
Btw, when the rich gentrifying White folks move to Washington Heights over the next 20 years they will rename it North Haarlem. Since Harlem has more panache than Wash. Heights.
Shoot they might rename the South Bronx, Harlem Estates or Harlem Hills. Hahahahaha!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Btw, when the rich gentrifying White folks move to Washington Heights over the next 20 years they will rename it North Haarlem. Since Harlem has more panache than Wash. Heights.
Shoot they might rename the South Bronx, Harlem Estates or Harlem Hills. Hahahahaha!

yup...they already want to rename Harlem SoHa...i cannot even begin to contemplate the arrogance of people who want to rename Harlem. it defies reason. just like they want to rename parts of the South Bronx the Piano District.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

You are late...They are renaming Mott Haven the Piano District due to history as piano factory hub.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/7/26/16036070/south-bronx-luxury-rental-piano-district

I was briefly looking at Mott Haven real estate, the prices are absolutely ridiculous. Sadly 10 years from now, I will regret it :disappoin

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017

Not true at all. Washington Heights is still overwhelmingly Dominican. Yes, hipsters are moving in but they have not yet displaced Dominicans from the Heights, it'll be a while before that materializes.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not true at all. Washington Heights is still overwhelmingly Dominican. Yes, hipsters are moving in but they have not yet displaced Dominicans from the Heights, it'll be a while before that materializes.

In your haste to discredit my posting, you seemed to have not grasped what was being said within the context of it. I did not say that Washington Heights is not overwhelmingly Dominican, of course it still is, but the demographic is slowly changing, and has been so for years. There are currently MORE persons of Dominican heritage residing in the Bronx sector of New York, and many of THESE are recent arrivals (last 10 years). Many have also continued the trek northward to Lowell, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
In your haste to discredit my posting, you seemed to have not grasped what was being said within the context of it. I did not say that Washington Heights is not overwhelmingly Dominican, of course it still is, but the demographic is slowly changing, and has been so for years. There are currently MORE persons of Dominican heritage residing in the Bronx sector of New York, and many of THESE are recent arrivals (last 10 years). Many have also continued the trek northward to Lowell, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island.

By saying that you said was not true, I am not discrediting it, I'm just making a clarification. My issue with your statement is where you said "The gentrification movement has moved most of the Dominican population, especially new arrivals, to the Bronx sector" that just simply isn't true, however, if you had originally said "most recent Dominican arrivals to NY move to the Bronx" as you later detailed, I would have agreed.

I have stated in various posts already, that I agree gentrification is happening and that over the course of some time, Dominicans will be more than likely displaced; What I am speaking of is the reality now, and that is that gentrification is not yet rapidly displacing Dominicans, "gentrifiers" (aka white ppl) moving in is still a very small part of the community's population. The Bronx Dominican population does not (yet) outnumber that of Washington Heights, the Heights is still considered the largest Dominican neighborhood, and parts of Harlem that are majority Dominican are included in this figure.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
By saying that you said was not true, I am not discrediting it, I'm just making a clarification. My issue with your statement is where you said "The gentrification movement has moved most of the Dominican population, especially new arrivals, to the Bronx sector" that just simply isn't true, however, if you had originally said "most recent Dominican arrivals to NY move to the Bronx" as you later detailed, I would have agreed.

I have stated in various posts already, that I agree gentrification is happening and that over the course of some time, Dominicans will be more than likely displaced; What I am speaking of is the reality now, and that is that gentrification is not yet rapidly displacing Dominicans, "gentrifiers" (aka white ppl) moving in is still a very small part of the community's population. The Bronx Dominican population does not (yet) outnumber that of Washington Heights, the Heights is still considered the largest Dominican neighborhood, and parts of Harlem that are majority Dominican are included in this figure.

Not true at all. We will just have to view the world through different lenses, although some are more clearer than others. Furthermore, the current "gentrifiers" of the Washington Heights area are not "white ppl". They are members of various other communities, which happen to utilize Spanish as a language of preference.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Not true at all. We will just have to view the world through different lenses, although some are more clearer than others. Furthermore, the current "gentrifiers" of the Washington Heights area are not "white ppl". They are members of various other communities, which happen to utilize Spanish as a language of preference.

Do you live in the U.S., specifically in the NYC/tri-state area?

The lense I see this from is from someone who actually lives here. A neighborhood is considered 'gentrified' when white ppl move into it, since they are usually higher up on the economic ladder and 'upgrade' (or downgrade depending on one's perspective) neighborhoods by improving the quality of life through crime reduction, better schools, better businesses, bring new real estate, increased rent prices, etc, as has happened in Williamsburg, LES, Midtown, Harlem, etc, etc. Other Latinos moving into a Latino neighborhood, does not 'gentrify' it; Mexicans have been moving into Washington Heights in recent years, and believe when I say that no one will ever say Mexicans 'gentrify' a neighborhood: Mexicans move 20 ppl into an apt, sell tamales and sliced mangoes on a street corner, white folks bring over new apt towers and a Whole Foods supermarket.

Sep 4, 2012
Do you live in the U.S., specifically in the NYC/tri-state area?

The lense I see this from is from someone who actually lives here. A neighborhood is considered 'gentrified' when white ppl move into it, since they are usually higher up on the economic ladder and 'upgrade' (or downgrade depending on one's perspective) neighborhoods by improving the quality of life through crime reduction, better schools, better businesses, bring new real estate, increased rent prices, etc, as has happened in Williamsburg, LES, Midtown, Harlem, etc, etc. Other Latinos moving into a Latino neighborhood, does not 'gentrify' it; Mexicans have been moving into Washington Heights in recent years, and believe when I say that no one will ever say Mexicans 'gentrify' a neighborhood: Mexicans move 20 ppl into an apt, sell tamales and sliced mangoes on a street corner, white folks bring over new apt towers and a Whole Foods supermarket.

Obviously, I like the clearer and empirical lenses by which you are making your assertions.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
No, I do not reside in the area, but I did visit the region last week on business. Specifically, the locations I have previously mentioned, and I do stand by my assertions. The manner in which you speak of Mexicans, who actually happen to be not just Mexican but also migrants of other Central American nations, is the same manner in which many once referred to Dominicans when they started entering the area generations ago. Certain terminologies are not permitted within regular topic boards of this forum, so I have been abstaining from mentioning them.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
It's been 3 weeks since in log in I see we are still beat this horse to death .... Just like a Central park carriage horse........Folks go play dominoes.