Little Dominican Republic

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
No, I do not reside in the area, but I did visit the region last week on business. Specifically, the locations I have previously mentioned, and I do stand by my assertions. The manner in which you speak of Mexicans, who actually happen to be not just Mexican but also migrants of other Central American nations, is the same manner in which many once referred to Dominicans when they started entering the area generations ago. Certain terminologies are not permitted within regular topic boards of this forum, so I have been abstaining from mentioning them.

I don't understand the insistence of some island Dominicans on wanting to tell U.S. Dominicans how they're lives are here or their nuances, I don't do that to Dominicans back home because I've never lived there, no matter how many times I visit and stay for vacation, it will never be the same as me actually living there day-to-day and experiencing its nuances. I can't tell the difference btwn Central American/Mexican native looking Latinos, I don't mean that as an insult, I actually need to hear them speaking and try to make out their accents to tell them apart. If the way I refer to them is similar or the same as Dominicans were referred to, then (unfortunately) so be it, I'm not sugarcoating the reality; yes, Dominicans have greatly contributed to NYC both positively and negatively and regarding the negative it would be naive to say that Dominicans improved the neighborhood, go see the Jewish area of the Heights and go see Dyckman, BIG difference. Non-Dominican Latinos are also from poor economic backgrounds and come there to make a living and go through the same struggles most Dominicans there go through, you simply do not see that with the high earning white folks that move into these neighborhoods, not sure why anyone would have an issue with this distinction.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't understand the insistence of some island Dominicans on wanting to tell U.S. Dominicans how they're lives are here or their nuances, I don't do that to Dominicans back home because I've never lived there, no matter how many times I visit and stay for vacation, it will never be the same as me actually living there day-to-day and experiencing its nuances. I can't tell the difference btwn Central American/Mexican native looking Latinos, I don't mean that as an insult, I actually need to hear them speaking and try to make out their accents to tell them apart. If the way I refer to them is similar or the same as Dominicans were referred to, then (unfortunately) so be it, I'm not sugarcoating the reality; yes, Dominicans have greatly contributed to NYC both positively and negatively and regarding the negative it would be naive to say that Dominicans improved the neighborhood, go see the Jewish area of the Heights and go see Dyckman, BIG difference. Non-Dominican Latinos are also from poor economic backgrounds and come there to make a living and go through the same struggles most Dominicans there go through, you simply do not see that with the high earning white folks that move into these neighborhoods, not sure why anyone would have an issue with this distinction.

On the lighter note, the Heights have some of the largest/nicest apartment I have seen in NYC. I am a fan of old school apartment and detest open floor plan (because I don't want my kitchen in my living room).
Some parts around the Riverside drive, looks like Paris (and I am Parisian). The heights really have nice areas.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
On the lighter note, the Heights have some of the largest/nicest apartment I have seen in NYC. I am a fan of old school apartment and detest open floor plan (because I don't want my kitchen in my living room).
Some parts around the Riverside drive, looks like Paris (and I am Parisian). The heights really have nice areas.

I agree there are very big apartments in the Heights, I have relatives around Fort Washington and off of St Nicholas/190th and their apartments are humongous. Fort Washington area by the bridge is very nice, I go get my hair done at a salon on 172nd often; sad to see gringos moving into this area now, but it's popular with cyclists that like to bike along the Palisades paths since the area is right by the GWB and makes it easy access.

p.s. Paris is more beautiful, one of my fave cities, love it there :cheeky:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

True. Mr AE’s sister lived in a massive three bedroom apartment, if I remember correctly it was around 141st east of Broadway.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I agree there are very big apartments in the Heights, I have relatives around Fort Washington and off of St Nicholas/190th and their apartments are humongous. Fort Washington area by the bridge is very nice, I go get my hair done at a salon on 172nd often; sad to see gringos moving into this area now, but it's popular with cyclists that like to bike along the Palisades paths since the area is right by the GWB and makes it easy access.

p.s. Paris is more beautiful, one of my fave cities, love it there :cheeky:

What's wrong with WholePaycheck ? :cheeky:

True. Mr AE’s sister lived in a massive three bedroom apartment, if I remember correctly it was around 141st east of Broadway.

Yes, I have seen 4 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms apartments where you could fit 2 queens size beds in each bedroom. I have just NOT seen that anywhere else in the city.

A couple years ago, I visited a corner apartment around 146th Street and I thought the apartment was too big (how often do you say that in New York ??!!). It was on second floor and was also worried about 24/7 Dembow/Merengue/Bachata during the summer since a friend of mine lived on the same block, 6th floor, and, for the longest, I was convinced she secretly runned a Colmadon due to the noise when I called her :bunny: , but that apartment was insane.

Sep 4, 2012

And exactly because of the bones and structure of the entire surroundings makes it intuitive for the business and investors (certainly not the Mexicans or Central Americans, and this is not to be misconstrued as racism; its pointing facts rather) to be attracted to the gentrification of the area.

Sep 4, 2012

I would tell you but, mysteriously my reply will be vanished on thin air. You, however, are right on target.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/bronx-dominicans-detail-article-1.474975

This is not even close. Caonabo is correct.
Many more Dominicans live in the Bronx than Manhattan even as per 8 years ago.

It doesn't matter if more supposedly live in the Bronx, and one could argue that an increase in the last 8 years is a fairly recent development and is most comprised of recent arrivals, if it's true. Washington Heights is still considered the Dominican hub of NYC and it is still majority Dominican, that isn't false nor is it based off of an article or an opinion.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/bronx-dominicans-detail-article-1.474975

This is not even close. Caonabo is correct.
Many more Dominicans live in the Bronx than Manhattan even as per 8 years ago.

You are correct. Some want to cherry pick the factoids of reality. Of course, this is not helpful, but alas unfortunately how we function as a global society in this day and age. The article you provided was written eight years ago. Eight. And the numbers since have done nothing but steadily increase, and not by small increments either, in regards to the changing demographics that this particular sector is currently witnessing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You are correct. Some want to cherry pick the factoids of reality. Of course, this is not helpful, but alas unfortunately how we function as a global society in this day and age. The article you provided was written eight years ago. Eight. And the numbers since have done nothing but steadily increase, and not by small increments either, in regards to the changing demographics that this particular sector is currently witnessing.

All of this is true, but......

When people think of Dominicans, they think of Washington Heights, not Hunts Point. Kind of like Little Italy, where there are few Italians left living there. The name and the recognition remain.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
All of this is true, but......

When people think of Dominicans, they think of Washington Heights, not Hunts Point. Kind of like Little Italy, where there are few Italians left living there. The name and the recognition remain.

part of the perception is the concentration issue. Washington Heights is a district. it stretches from about the 150s in Manhattan, to Dyckman St. not a very large area, geographically. the Bronx, on the other hand, is a borough, and even if Dominicans outnumber those in Manhattan, they are scattered all over the borough, and do not have an equal location in the Bronx like Washington Heights.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
With this reasoning, population counts do not matter. Which is more important, perception or reality? You must remember that regardless of locale, Washington Heights or Zürich for that matter, most government resources and boundaries are directed towards the reality of the populace count, not the perception of such.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
With this reasoning, population counts do not matter. Which is more important, perception or reality? You must remember that regardless of locale, Washington Heights or Zürich for that matter, most government resources and boundaries are directed towards the reality of the populace count, not the perception of such.

i was not intending to get into the matter of relative merits. i am simply stating a reality. upper Manhattan still is perceived to be the epicenter of the Dominican presence in the USA, even though there might be more Dominicans living in the Bronx. when one thinks of the Bronx, they think of Irish in Woodlawn, Italians in Arthur Avenue, Albanians in Pelham off White Plains Road, West Indians in Baychester, and Puerto Ricans and Dominicans scattered all over the borough..Washington Heights is perceived to be a Dominican stronghold.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Think of this on these terms: Even though there are far more Italian descendants in Brazil than in Argentina, the latter is still recognized more as the main landfall of Italian immigration to Latin America. It is a matter of geographical size and impact as a % of the population in said geographical space.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Think of this on these terms: Even though there are far more Italian descendants in Brazil than in Argentina, the latter is still recognized more as the main landfall of Italian immigration to Latin America. It is a matter of geographical size and impact as a % of the population in said geographical space.

I am fully aware of perception, but I again place my footing within reality. I spend a large part of my life investing. I can not do so based merely on perception. Reality is what matters. Perception is for dreamers. Dreamers have no business investing.