Living In A Women's Prison

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I dont think it is 'trust'...more likely 'fear' that keeps them from stealing from each other.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Follow up on prison developments in DR - a supervisor at Centro de Correcci?n y Rehabilitaci?n San Felipe de Puerto Plata was fired for excessive use of force on an inmate.
Puerto Plata Digital

Quite apart from that being newsworthy of itself (for those who know how Fortaleza used to be) what is also remarkable is the speed of decision making. It was only a week ago that the case was heard

Puerto Plata Digital

Someten a dos agentes por maltratos a reclusos

No mention of Court penalties - it could be that the case has yet to come back to Court, in which case the accused will by then be in a civilian capacity. But............it's a start. Very different from the 14 months I spent visiting an accused person in this prison 9-10 years ago, where the then Major in charge had no problem describing his information extraction techniques..........

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I read somewhere that a country's level of civilization was measured by how well they treated their prisoners. I agree.

If, and when we agree, that the penalty for all infractions will be death, we have to contend with the reality that it's better to improve the lives of these people before we release them back into society. Not that I support the death penalty in any case. Anyway, most people in jail are there not because of heinous crimes, and we are not about to start shooting people who stole a chicken, got into a bar brawl, or something like that. It follows that you do not want them stripped of their dignity and learn the tricks of the trade from hardened criminals.

It is no surprise that the countries with the most humanitarian prison systems have the lowest level of recidivism.

And from another point of view, I am human, I believe all people should be treated with humanity, even the worse people. Otherwise we are not better than them. Prisons are not for vengeance, the punishment is the loss of freedom.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
this is the new system working!

Follow up on prison developments in DR - a supervisor at Centro de Correcci?n y Rehabilitaci?n San Felipe de Puerto Plata was fired for excessive use of force on an inmate.
Puerto Plata Digital

Quite apart from that being newsworthy of itself (for those who know how Fortaleza used to be) what is also remarkable is the speed of decision making. It was only a week ago that the case was heard

Puerto Plata Digital

Someten a dos agentes por maltratos a reclusos

No mention of Court penalties - it could be that the case has yet to come back to Court, in which case the accused will by then be in a civilian capacity. But............it's a start. Very different from the 14 months I spent visiting an accused person in this prison 9-10 years ago, where the then Major in charge had no problem describing his information extraction techniques..........

This is really great news- that the guards themselves are being monitored. The guards in the new system are required to return every year for more and more training at the San Cristobal school and there are guards who are "drummed out" every year for just such types of offenses... mistreatment of prisoners, taking bribes, etc.... The core idea is that they are starting a new CORE of guards where there are certain ideals that have to be maintained in order to stay in the cadre... This is the sort of "honor code" behavior that is (or used to be anyway) found in the US military service academies.

Wonder whether it might even spread to the police and the army? Ojala!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is really great news- that the guards themselves are being monitored. The guards in the new system are required to return every year for more and more training at the San Cristobal school and there are guards who are "drummed out" every year for just such types of offenses... mistreatment of prisoners, taking bribes, etc.... The core idea is that they are starting a new CORE of guards where there are certain ideals that have to be maintained in order to stay in the cadre... This is the sort of "honor code" behavior that is (or used to be anyway) found in the US military service academies.

Wonder whether it might even spread to the police and the army? Ojala!
I have a better idea: inprison politicians, police and military. Teach them the lessons there...;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is really great news- that the guards themselves are being monitored

The complaint originated from the inmate, but as we both know, a few years back it would probably not have seen the light of day and certainly not been investigated. And the person fired wasn't just a guard, it was the supervisor of that section so..........even more impressive.