Living in Rio San Juan & Cabrera

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
I will be in the area the first week of September for a little while and would like to get some info on places to stay etc. I have been to RSJ several times but just day trips for some fish on the beach, never stopped in Cabrera. Thanks in advance for help.

May 29, 2006
1) I'm at the end of my driveway, the grocery store is left or right?
2) Who do I call to get water delivered?
3) Before I can get water delivered where do I go to get a sim card for my phone so I can call for water?
4) Screw it, I need to hire a personal assistant to help me out, Know anyone? :D

When in doubt, ask a moto driver. Geez, how do I refill a 100 pound propane tank? Ask a moto guy and he's back in an hour with the tank strapped to his bike and a receipt. Just make sure you know the driver..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When in doubt, ask a moto driver. Geez, how do I refill a 100 pound propane tank? Ask a moto guy and he's back in an hour with the tank strapped to his bike and a receipt. Just make sure you know the driver..

I keep two on hand...... the muchacho comes to the house to refill.....

no chance of running out with 2 and easier to fill

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've travelled to and stayed on the south coast before. The north coast airports provide better scheduled direct flights home, we have a financial investment near Puerto Plata that we frequently make use of and while no where in the DR can truly be considered familiar territory, the north coast for us is more so than anywhere else.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
There are a few options in the Cabrera area as far as hotels. Nicest/most expensive is Hotel La Catalina up in the hills about 5 min drive from downtown. Then right in town there is another nice hotel with pool called Mirador.. a bit cheaper than Catalina. Then if you want really cheap there are two right on the cliff's edge for around $25 a night, basic but great view and breeze. I can get you phone numbers for any if needed.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I keep two on hand...... the muchacho comes to the house to refill.....

no chance of running out with 2 and easier to fill

He comes to your house to refill??? Tell me more! I have two huge tanks, both empty (I know, defeats the purpose of having two) and haven't had the chance to go fill them because it will take more than just my husband (and my pregnant self) to lift them out of the car when full. If someone could come to us, that would be wonderful.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
He comes to your house to refill??? Tell me more! I have two huge tanks, both empty (I know, defeats the purpose of having two) and haven't had the chance to go fill them because it will take more than just my husband (and my pregnant self) to lift them out of the car when full. If someone could come to us, that would be wonderful.

Oh wait, I just excitedly said this to my husband and he said you probably mean that your guy comes to your house, picks the tank up, then takes to refill and then returns it?? Rather than my dream that they actually came to fill it at your house?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
$25 a night in Cabrera sounds awesome..

Yep, and the rooms really aren't bad at all. We stayed there for a few nights once while moving house. They have a little kitchenette with sink, dishes, stove top, mini fridge, also TV with cable, decent double or queen bed, fan (no A/C but good ocean breeze with windows open), and shared balcony/deck area looking out over the water.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

yes, he takes them away and returns them but I think there is a truck that brings propane to the house.

look for those giant tanks... hotels, restaurants - the truck comes to them
I use the station just before Abreu -- Frances is his name.
You may want the one on the other side of Cabrera... near the former Texaco

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Ended up just taking them in my car to get filled at the one near Texaco... our helper guy lifted them in and out. Can cook again!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
are these the 5ft high ones?
if so, thats what I have.... even the motoconchos will take them... I did that before getting the home delivery system

les1

Feb 1, 2007

In Rio San Juan there's a pick truck which comes a couple of times a week. it will take the gas bottle and put in how much gas you want in it and return in the afternoon with the receipt for a fee of 50 pesos. They go to the gas place near cabrera because there are rumours the RSJ place mixes air with the gas - so I would have thought they also serve Cabrera.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Yes, they are. Will have to try the motoconcho next time when I just need one filled!

les1

Feb 1, 2007
either RSJ or Cabrera will suit you -- there isn't much anything much further east.

You can fish in the lagoon at RSJ

Your weight watchers program is the only way you will be able to eat and green grocers are plentiful.
yes Playero is a larger supermarket an hour away in Sosua.

MEdical attention in both is adequate for most minor sufferings.

RSJ speaks more French than Cabrera- and German too, I suspect.

Everything is available for delivery with the right connection and that is easy.
The landlord should be able to help.

Scooter? buy in Gaspar Hernandez probably -- 1/2 hr away
You can use the local motoconcho.... scooter taxis.... cheap, easy & helpful

Hmmmm, downloading might be a problem depending on the Internet... bandwidth can be problematic.
SIM card , almost everywhere.

You'll feel your way - two good options in front of you
Remember Samana as an airport.... WestJet and Air Canada fly there.--- 1 hr east nad POP one hour west (POP just 15 minutes farther)
Samana / el Catey airport is preferable -- newer, less traffic , better attitude

You are not allowed to fish ih the Lagoon- it's protected
Little or no German in RSJ
French spoken by the French who for the most part stick to themselves

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I have a very nice villa, 70 m2 living-room, 3 bed-rooms, (30 and 25 and 12 m2), a/c, fixed electricity contract of 1500 pesos a
Month, close to entrance playa magante.
Totally walled in, (walls all arounfd the Garden), security available if wantend at night.
All reliable assistance available.
Landcruiser for rent, we only livethere, juli and August.
We are thinking of renting it from september.