Living in Sosua

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Zara I think Lambada asking you what you know about moving here not really the history of DR.

I think after 5 year coming here and thinking about moving here you could know a little bit where you can live , how much could be your expenses .....and the little thing ou need to know . if you all need to tell you is because your homework are not do.

so what do you really know about your moving ?

Zara

Sep 9, 2007
I know what sort of rent i'd be paying now on a 1 - 2 bedroom apartment, i know i would like to live in or around Sosua! I know i can get a job, i've already asked my friend hes a manager at the hotel i stay at he said its fine whenever i am moving over to send him an e-mail and there will be a job for me, as i will be good for the English speaking guests etc! I know i have to be serious about the move!

erm....... i would like to know like how much the average food bill is!!! obviously i've not ever bought food from a supermarket when out there so wouldn't really know the average cost. The cost of electric bills, how much a laundrette bill will cost etc, just simple things really like everyday living expenses!

Cheers
Z

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Zara is a post a make few month ago . next week will be 1 year I am here.

1- How much money do you need to make in order to live well in DR (monthly salary in pesos).

all depent what is well for you ...

it s 7 month I make the move here and I live in puerto plata . I live well but on a standard local . here some of my expense for 2 person for give you a idea ...

my house :5000 pesos (I need to buy my own thing)
electricty: between 450-600 pesos ( all depent of I much electricity we have ....will soon buy a inverter)
phone: 400 pesos for a plan "prepagado" ( give 200 minute local without cellular)
insurance medical : 4000 pesos each 3 month ( +- 1335 each month)
grocery: about 7000 month but I sure it s a little bit more because I buy thing between my grocery
we are 2 to live on +- 35000 -40000 pesos/month
other money go to transport ( motoconcho, guagua,publico) , card for cell phone and internet, activity we do .we both don t drink or really rarely.

hope that help

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Our food shopping bill is 12,000 pesos per month for two of us.

Glad you found out in time re the BF. Be prepared for him still wanting to share your nice apartment when you move here..........almost like yesterday's drama had never happened. ;)

Do you know what you will be earning in the job you have been offered? And how good is the offer? Don't want to put a damper on your prospects but in this country 'things change' sometimes with lightening speed. Does the manager who has offered the job actually have power over hiring and firing? That's the first answer you need. Is there someone above this manager who makes the ultimate decision? Sometimes, here, you get told things people think you want to hear.............so do your checking all the way.

Zara

Sep 9, 2007
Thanks Lambada, never really thought about that, but thats a good point!!! well i am going to save money to tied me over for a few months while i'm out there, just incase i don't have a job, as you said does he actually have the authority to do the hiring anf firing!!!

Thanks

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Also, keep in mind Sosua is not the typical Dominican hamlet, for cost-of-living analysis purposes. Your budget for living in the touristy area of a touristy town will likely be higher than what you originally anticipate.

You might also, quite frankly, get a better experience, learn the language faster, and have better job options in a larger town like Santiago. It's in the center of the country, has tons of great restaurants and hot spots, and you just might have a better overall experience. In addition, the beach is only two hours away (unless you want to take the more adventurous mountain passage). :^)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Also, keep in mind Sosua is not the typical Dominican hamlet, for cost-of-living analysis purposes. Your budget for living in the touristy area of a touristy town will likely be higher than what you originally anticipate.

You might also, quite frankly, get a better experience, learn the language faster, and have better job options in a larger town like Santiago. It's in the center of the country, has tons of great restaurants and hot spots, and you just might have a better overall experience. In addition, the beach is only two hours away (unless you want to take the more adventurous mountain passage). :^)

This sounds about right unless you want to be close to the beach, but I prefer Santiago any day.

Zara

Sep 9, 2007
I've not actually experienced Santiago yet, i always mean to go as i beleive its a lovely city! When i go over in December i may hire a car and take a trip there one day!

katira57

Sep 12, 2006
I know of a house in a good place that you could buy for 120,000 us 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms kitchen dinning room, living room big terrace 2 car garage and space for a pool,it is in batuey sosua 2 blocks away from the beach