Looking for a classic car, willing to pay a finder's fee if I buy!

Jan 9, 2004
almost all governing agencies go by age not opinion of whats a classic.
Classic is over used. To me a 1965 rambler American is not a classic. Same as Muscle Car. To me Mustang and Camaro is not a muscle car and never were advertised as one. They came late in the game. People just started calling them that to sell them

The only two people my client care about are what the Car Club and Customs thinks. Since 90's 300ZX's and Mazda RX-7"s are coming into the DR as Classics......age is not the only determining factor here.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm a bit of a car freak myself. I bought this from a guy in Jarabacoa. It's a 23 year old Porsche 968, very rare and the only one in the DR.

30w9il0.jpg
[/IMG]

It now looks like this.

14dk9b4.jpg
[/IMG]

Most of the parts came from eBay or Pelican Parts in the US. It's quite an expensive hobby purely for the shipping costs on parts.

But a satisfying hobby nonetheless. With careful diligence, you can find tradesmen that are capable of half decent professional jobs for paining and upholstery. Although I've yet to meet a mechanic who has the aptitude, skill or knowledge that meet my standards. Especially when it comes to electrics. But then again I'm an aircraft engineer, my standards are pretty high!

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
wow beeza
you took on a real challenge there. I ran an auto restoration shop in Houston and I never took on a project like that. if you need any machining we have a machine shop in Puerto plata

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
you have my admiration, that is a beautiful car

Thank you!

Although I can't take all the credit. My Dad helped me a lot who used to run an auto restoration shop in Kenya. Another saving grace is that Porsche galvanised their cars, so it wasn't rusty. So most of the work was undoing twenty odds years of Dominican workmanship.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
undoing twenty odds years of Dominican workmanship.

jajaja be nice

we do have some good Dominican with skills jajaja

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm a bit of a car freak myself. I bought this from a guy in Jarabacoa. It's a 23 year old Porsche 968, very rare and the only one in the DR.

30w9il0.jpg
[/IMG]

It now looks like this.

14dk9b4.jpg
[/IMG]

Most of the parts came from eBay or Pelican Parts in the US. It's quite an expensive hobby purely for the shipping costs on parts.

But a satisfying hobby nonetheless. With careful diligence, you can find tradesmen that are capable of half decent professional jobs for paining and upholstery. Although I've yet to meet a mechanic who has the aptitude, skill or knowledge that meet my standards. Especially when it comes to electrics. But then again I'm an aircraft engineer, my standards are pretty high!

kudos, beeza. that is some serious accomplishment, especially in the DR...

enjoy it in good health. and stay away from them motoconchos.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Thank you!

Although I can't take all the credit. My Dad helped me a lot who used to run an auto restoration shop in Kenya. Another saving grace is that Porsche galvanised their cars, so it wasn't rusty. So most of the work was undoing twenty odds years of Dominican workmanship.

Couple of shots from my workshop in Kenya;

This one took me over two years and went onto win an award at the national concours.

I'd love to find a real classic here, must be some around that are not Detroit Iron...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Couple of shots from my workshop in Kenya;

This one took me over two years and went onto win an award at the national concours.

I'd love to find a real classic here, must be some around that are not Detroit Iron...

is that a Morris Minor in the background?

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
I know where there is one but the guy will not sell it. There is a grease monkey shop on the corner of Calle Los Rieles and Calle 9 in Llenos de Gurabo in Santiago that has one in their parking lot that is currently being worked on. I have tried in the past to buy a car from the guy with no luck but drop by and talk to him either way. I forget the guys name but he speaks some English and is really nice so he may be able to help you find one of your own.

rob

ps If you can get him to part with the Grand National he has let me know, maybe he will do a package deal.......

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
is that a Morris Minor in the background?

The Morris Minor was my runabout. (50 MPG @ 50 MPH in the 1960's so where's progress?) I restored it twice!

The MG TC needed all new wood and metal so it was a long process. It is, of course, losing it's bodily fluids under the radiator but that's after the first outing in 40 years so it was forgiven. (and fixed).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Morris Minor was my runabout. (50 MPG @ 50 MPH in the 1960's so where's progress?) I restored it twice!

The MG TC needed all new wood and metal so it was a long process. It is, of course, losing it's bodily fluids under the radiator but that's after the first outing in 40 years so it was forgiven. (and fixed).

that is a gorgeous old TC. enjoy it in good health. the closest i came to that was a modified MGBGT, with the electronic overdrive, and a motor hopped up by Nicholson, with sidedraft Webers. i loved it.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
This one was a challenge to say the least...
It was a deathtrap bucket of rust and filler when I started

All the trim was useless so I made it into a copycat lightweight..

Now if I could find even something a bit like that here in the DR.......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This one was a challenge to say the least...
It was a deathtrap bucket of rust and filler when I started

All the trim was useless so I made it into a copycat lightweight..

Now if I could find even something a bit like that here in the DR.......

you are good!!

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Go for an old toyota/datsun. A 510 or hilux pickup is easily repairable and parts intercahange.
You can find one fairly easy, the hard part is the owner willing to sell.
My primo has a 69 datsun 510 with box fenders, a 6 cylinder engine, and leather bucket seats, such a nice ride for everday commuting.
If you go american, get a 350 carbed v8 for ease of repairs and parts.
Whatever you do, you really need to consider how you will get parts and familiarity with repairs.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Go for an old toyota/datsun. A 510 or hilux pickup is easily repairable and parts intercahange.
You can find one fairly easy, the hard part is the owner willing to sell.
My primo has a 69 datsun 510 with box fenders, a 6 cylinder engine, and leather bucket seats, such a nice ride for everday commuting.
If you go american, get a 350 carbed v8 for ease of repairs and parts.
Whatever you do, you really need to consider how you will get parts and familiarity with repairs.

Ah.
And I thought we were talking about classic cars............