Lots of Negatives

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Been here 7 years full time and no plans of going anywhere.
Life is an adventure and it is what you make of it.

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
After a few years the shine is off the apple. I always wanted to live in the Caribbean and experience "the life style" . I did it. It has been an eye opener . It is out of my system. My apartment has been for sale for a while now.

LTSteve

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
What other options are there?

Europe & North America are going to hell in a turbocharged hand-cart;
South America is likely to be not much different to our little Latin American enclave in the Caribbean;
Africa - Haiti with big dangerous wildlife;
Asia is a complete mystery to me .... & the road signs are all in squiggly writing so I'd get lost all the time;
Australia has too many beasties which can bite your bum while on the throne & make your bits shrivel and/or fall off.

The climate here is near enough perfect & inheritance tax - in fact all taxes - is minimal.

So you're stuck with me folks ;)

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The only reason I'm here is because I have a 7 year old daughter who I can not take out of the DR for now. The moment I can take her I would not even take the time to pack my bags.
Hernandez, Panama is a good choice.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm torn - I'm very happy here. The only thing I really dislike is the health system. Security and power cuts are not a concern but this situation could always change, especially when it comes to security, so our concerns are more personal than DR-linked, probably because we live in Punta Cana, a place that is almost free of all the problems that plague the DR.

For a couple of reasons - our son's education and a desire to be near my ageing parents - we are considering leaving next year. On the other hand, it seems crazy to make such a drastic change when things are going fairly well for us here. Moving to another country entails economic risks and could put a strain on us as individuals and even on our relationship.

There's also the issue of uprooting a teenager and removing him from the environment and friends he has grown up with over the previous six years. I never had that continuity when I was growing up and although I coped, I wonder how much better it would have been if I'd lived and studied in one single place as opposed to several.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Same with us. What would be best for our son? Panama or somewhere else we both would be foreigners. Here we still have the advantage my wife being Dominican which makes many things easier...

Back to my home country Germany or another place in Europe? I don't know. But should an opportunity arise we would probably leave the DR...

I'm torn - I'm very happy here. The only thing I really dislike is the health system. Security and power cuts are not a concern but this situation could always change, especially when it comes to security, so our concerns are more personal than DR-linked, probably because we live in Punta Cana, a place that is almost free of all the problems that plague the DR.

For a couple of reasons - our son's education and a desire to be near my ageing parents - we are considering leaving next year. On the other hand, it seems crazy to make such a drastic change when things are going fairly well for us here. Moving to another country entails economic risks and could put a strain on us as individuals and even on our relationship.

There's also the issue of uprooting a teenager and removing him from the environment and friends he has grown up with over the previous six years. I never had that continuity when I was growing up and although I coped, I wonder how much better it would have been if I'd lived and studied in one single place as opposed to several.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have been here 12 years, lived in beach tourist area, town barrio and now mountains and the campo. I will never leave as I have at last found my piece of paradise! I think it depends which stage of culture shock you are in. We all start off in the honeymoon period when everything is amazing, fun, enjoyable. Then you become frustrated with things like the electricity, the corruption, the heat and humidity, and then you move to a third stage of culture shock, where you begin to adjust to the culture and learn to accept and even embrace it. Be prepared with lamps and candles or an inverter, when the electricity goes out, and sit and play dominoes when you cannot use your internet, rather than being frustrated by it.

The final stage, which is where I am now I think is when you are totally involved in your new culture, ‘aplatanado’ they call it. Not only are you totally immersed in the culture, speak the language all the time, live with the local people, you also start behaving like them, seeing the good in certain traits which used to frustrate you – such as Dominican time-keeping and you know that you would feel that you would not fit in in your native country. Each of these phases takes a different time for different people.

Matilda

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'm here for at least two more years, but that will probably be it. The electricity isn't that big a deal anymore: I grew up on a farm in Kentucky where electricity and running water were not that dependable, so that all brings back memories of my childhood (and I rely on my memories to adjust). The health care is spotty, but I now know how to traverse the system.

My biggest concern: the lack of security, that seems to be getting worse. And the fact that everyone just takes it in stride and complains about it but no one wants to do anything about it. If I saw people willing to do something, I'd be encouraged. But the "no es mi culpa" and thus "no es mi responsabilidad" implied is the one frustration that I cannot overcome.

On the other hand, the rum is cheap enough that I can overlook that most days. So I'm happy where I am for the time being. In two years, I'll have to decide what I want to do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For the OP. Most of the people who post are going to be the ones who have a complaint. Those that are contented with their situation have little need to mention it.

The DR was not a first choice for me. Sri Lanka was, but when my wife from there died an early death from cancer, I gave up on that option, despite buying land on the ocean north of Colombo. I just checked Google Earth for that area. That region alone of Sri Lanka has grown more than all of the DR in the past 10 years.

After 10 years living full time in the DR, I understand how to deal with the situation as it is. The power, the police, the pompous idiot corrupt politicians, etc. might eventually drive me to a "second retirement", but not tomorrow. I do reserve the right to complain from time to time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have never been through any of those stages of a culture shock. to me it's a myth. i have not perceived DR as paradise not even when i came here for holidays and the reality of all inclusive hotel was fairly rosy in comparison. DR is the first - and only - tropical destination i have ever visited and it was a disappointment from the moment i set foot outside the plane. nothing like i imagined...

on a daily basis i am not bothered with small things. power problems remind me of the childhood in communism, police does not bother me, health care was all good but then i do not have many issues. what is really, truly tragic to me is the loneliness. 7 years and zero friends. yeah, i know many people but my relationships are shallow and superficial. it is, i guess, more difficult to make friends as you age. most people's besties are folks they met in a HS or maybe university. older than that and you will be lucky to meet your soul mate.

hmm. maybe not. it's either this explanation or accepting that either i am a mistake or others are. all that remains now is that noose.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
dv8,
That's twice now.
Why so grim?
I know that I'm a relative new comer around here but I don't recall you being so grim before.
Just remember.....
This too shall pass.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I love living here, but having a business is a catch 22. I wouldn't be able to live here and do nothing cause I would be too bored, but by having a business all I hear all day are people complaining about the power, the cops, the government, the girls, their old country and then I come to DR1 and have to read about it!!!!!....not that I am complaining :)

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I have lived here for 7 years and still wouldn't consider leaving even if my marriage busted. There are other destinations in the world that offer more, but being here has advantages too and I have found ways to deal with and work around the negatives. For me the positives still far outweigh the negatives.

I have expat friends that have lived here far longer, some more than 20 years, even a couple for more than 30 who don't want to leave at all, but they also don't post on DR1 because they see all the negativity to and just don't want to deal with it. So the idea that there is negativity here is a common one, but I see many positive posters as well.

Maybe those who are more positive are out doing stuff and those who are negative are sitting at home posting all day because they don't want to get out and do stuff here and don't want to deal with all the things they consider so negative. But I'm in front of the computer for work most of the time anyway so I can post while I'm waiting for something for work.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I've been living in the DR now for a little over one year. Although I've adjusted to the apagones, I can't seem to adjust to living like a prisoner.Locks on all doors, a security system a must. You can't travel out of the country without having someone watch over your house( you have to find someone to babysit your house.) :tired: You have to be careful who you invite over to your house.I've found out, that it's more expensive to live here than it is to live in the states.The food prices are ridiculous except for local produce, that's about it! Although I do travel to the states, all it does is make me yearn to be there than in the DR. I don't see myself in the DR much longer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been living in the DR now for a little over one year. Although I've adjusted to the apagones, I can't seem to adjust to living like a prisoner.Locks on all doors, a security system a must. You can't travel out of the country without having someone watch over your house( you have to find someone to babysit your house.) :tired: You have to be careful who you invite over to your house.I've found out, that it's more expensive to live here than it is to live in the states.The food prices are ridiculous except for local produce, that's about it! Although I do travel to the states, all it does is make me yearn to be there than in the DR. I don't see myself in the DR much longer.

jeez, bronzie..i am shocked! i thought you loved the place! now you tell us that you are about to turn tail and run?

i am here, and will stay here, because i am just too darn lazy to pack my stuff, and move on. maybe i am not a sporting man, so i am afraid to gamble. unlike dv8, there was a time when i did like this place. not any more. you have to struggle too hard just to tolerate the people. i have no problems if the tv goes off, or the internet is slow, or there are apagones. my problem is that the place is just too backward. it is still in the 19th century. for instance, a couple of my fellow posters here have communicated their desire to buy some decent headphones, and they had to buy them through ebay and Amazon. there is nothing here. i went to the most recognized hi-fi store in the capital, to check on some stuff, and the so-called premier authority in the country had never seen a headphone amplifier! makes me feel like i am living in medieval times. i went to San Juan 30 years ago, and even way back then they had stuff there that has not yet been heard of in this country.

for me, it is just too middle ages. the thinking of the people, the lack of simple common sense, and the lack of simple information is irksome

i do, however, like the inner generosity of the people. maybe , for me, that overrides the negatives. i am getting up there in years, and when i get sick, these are the people i know will make sure i die a comfortable death.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Can't afford to live someplace else — let alone move there.
44 years living and working "overseas", 30 in the DR, leaves me ill prepared to go home, since for me home doesn't exist anymore.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Can't afford to live someplace else — let alone move there.
44 years living and working "overseas", 30 in the DR, leaves me ill prepared to go home, since for me home doesn't exist anymore.

maybe, in your case, the DR is home.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If I were a single guy, I would have moved on years ago.
I remain here because I have 4 kids to raise.
We Could move to the USA anytime we want.
I choose to raise my family HERE!
Having their maternal grandparents living with us for the past 10 years has been FANTASTIC!!!
Even had Great Grandma for about 5 years before she died at 104!!!!
"Tios Y Tias", and a ton of cousins, live nearby
We ahve many of them here on a daily basis.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much love and support does not happen in ,"So Called"
,First World Countries"!
Crime,corruption,electric/water, Dominican Mentality, high prices, and/or availability,high taxes,poor education and lack of "First World" health care,are all considerations, but for me at least, are NOT Deal Breakers.
My kids are both Dominican, and American, citizens.
When the time is right, they can live anywhere they choose.
For me, "All-Of-The-Above Negatives"are only tolerable if you have the money available to "BUY" both the necessities, and
luxuries in life.
Being poor in the DR, WOULD be a deal breaker for me.
Better to be poor in a social welfare "Nanny State" like the USA, Canada, or England.
Now, many who call themselves "Expats", are in reality, just "Snow Birds", or part time visitors here.
They MAY own a home, or condo, or just rent,but if they have a home, or home base elsewhere, they are really just "Visitors".
I don't mean that in ANY negative form.
It's just that when you have a "safety net" to return to, the DR is kind of like "Going Camping"!
It's "Cool", fun, different, you expect to "Rough it",but, you can leave whenever you get tired of it, and go "Home", for a "Hot Shower", and a "Gourmet Meal", and a "QUIET Nights REST!"
I have, over MANY years, told friends who fell into the above, "Category", that until you live here "24/7/365", you can NEVER Really KNOW what "Life In The DR", really means.
The "DR", "Warts $ ALL", I've got a "Niche" in the Family Crypt with my name on it!!!!
I DO enjoy VISITING, family & friends in Boston, but I choose not to live there.
When I first moved here in 1995, after only Visiting since 1986, people in Boston would ask me when I was going to move back "HOME"????
At first I used to say, "I don't know about that."
For the past 10, or more, years I tell them that the DR is our "Home"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC