LT's Fight against 'Luz y Fuerza'

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I'm not sure if this applies, but, I live in Gasper Hndz and am forced to use Edenorte. I have a fridge, lights, 2 fans, tv, cable, computer with wifi, and a washing machine and an invesor with 4 batteries, and other power using appliances and my bill usually comes to 650 pesos......Edenorte said my meter was not functioning correctly and has changed it 4 times and the bill comes out the same....
Hammerdown,
Yes Edennorte is right your meter doenot work properly, you should pay around 1300 pesos not 650.
You use around 10 KW per day and your meter indicates 4.

Call them again and again. They have to fix it.
P.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Hammerdown,
Yes Edennorte is right your meter doenot work properly, you should pay around 1300 pesos not 650.
You use around 10 KW per day and your meter indicates 4.

Call them again and again. They have to fix it.
P.

Some fridges are under 1 kWh per day.

CFC or led lights burn very little.

A 20 inch TV modern, LED can burn about 30 watts.

Cable modem and wifi about 10 watts.

Washing machine 100 watts a load about.

Inverter and batteries about 30 % on top of energy they supply.

4 kWh per day could well be right.

Invest in a kill-a-watt and leave connected to each item for a day to find the consumption of that item.

P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor - Amazon.com

yapask1

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Marching into Blackouts

As we are discussing this people of Las Terrenas are marching to Santo Domingo.
They are supposed to arrive tomorrow morning (Monday) at the government palace in order to hand over their demands (It'll be in the newspapers, I am sure.)
They want cheaper rates and be connected to EDENORTE rather than be provided the reliable service (though more expensive) by "Luz y Fuerza".

I do wish them success. :laugh:

paulweberdasverhaengnis.jpg

donP

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Well, couple of things:

A cost of a simple inverter (the one a family consuming 150 kWh would use) - 1.2 or 1.5 kW is 16.000 pesos with 2 batteries, installation and cabling included. At 3 years, that's 5400 kWh. So 16000/5400 is just shy of 3 pesos. So 4.50 + 3.00 that's 7.50 per kWh, nowhere near the 19.5 pesos per kWh LyF charges over there.

In la Seyba de Salado (close to Uvero Alto) they have the best deal - they have CEPM from Bavaro and EdeEste from Higuey. I have seen houses with 2 connections. They get the "regular" power on edeEste, and when edeEste is out, they switch with a breaker to CEPM power. Neat!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I believe the march was a good idea.

As of Luz & Fuerza, providing reliable service doesn't mean selling it at an outrageous rate.

Of course I know (and I experienced for years) the bad service of Edenorte. I don't feel like having Edenorte only would be good.

But I understand protesters' position: they are the "radical" ones, they need to strike hard. Then the rest of us can smooth things down a bit.

That march was a good move, even though I am not sure we'll get anything out of it.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
2 Groups

I believe the march was a good idea.

Good idea, but the objective to bring in EDENORTE would be a catastrophe.

Everybody knows what EDENORTE stands for.
Also:
The present rate of government 'luz' will go up considerably, as the EEE's are broke and owe more than 800 million $ to the energy providers.
EDENORTE also means spikes and brown outs in their supply which converts into equipment losses.

I really hope the protesters succeed in getting EDENORTE as this is the best lesson to make them think.

The marchers should have demonstrated to make the government grant L&F permission to use their wind power plant in Las Galeras...

Mind you, the marchers are a relatively small percentage of the LT population and it seems that the silent majority appreciates the reliability and stability of L&F's service more than ac cheap and pathetic supply by the government.

Now, I shall ask my crystal ball which group is smarter... :rolleyes:

donP

donP

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Look, there should be a fair solution coming from that "fight": government granting whatever Orsini needs, but making sure he lowers the rate. Possibly installing Edenorte as an option. I am sticking with Luz & Fuerza, but I don't approve their perpetual high rates, that has to change.

terrenero

Mar 25, 2006
Thank you donP for the sweet piropo of calling us "polit clowns". As one of the organizers is really hard to respond to someone who doesn't know the history behind the march, nor its many undertakings. But, what the heck. Just to clarify, the march is not to eliminate Luz y Fuerza and bring in EDENORTE. We petitioned to bring in EDENORTE as well as ANY OTHER COMPANY that would effectively end the monopoly of Luz y Fuerza, they could provide service along with Luz y Fuerza or they could sell to Luz y Fuerza if it results in lower costs for the consumer. There are other private distributors that provide better options and some are mentioned in this thread. NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE has even said that we believe that EDENORTE is better. You're a liar and you're lying and you are ignoring everything it has been said. What we are effectively saying is that Luz y Fuerza has demonstrated is undeserving of our trust to bring about permanent solutions to the COST and the SERVICE provided by the company, that the company DOES violate many aspects of the law and that we want that regulated and the company penalized, that the company is notorious for lying, being deceitful and abusive to the vast majority of consumers that, unlike you, are not disconnected from teh grid. Now, do you want to continue illegal practices in LT in the electrical service? Well, you don't care because you have solar panels. So, I'd say, unplug your solar panels and join the rest of us in pursuing the best possible way to correct what's wrong in the electric service in Las Terrenas and, PERHAPS and ONLY PERHAPS, you may have a different attitude and more respect to the work of one and a half years by hundreds of citizens of Las Terrenas that deserve a bit more respect from someone like yourself. And, differently from you, I sign my name, JOSE BOURGET.

For those who read Spanish and want to see and read more visit Frente de Organizaciones Sociales de Las Terrenas Pro-Derechos del Consumidor de Electricidad or LAS TERRENAS LUZ in Facebook.

Last edited:

terrenero

Mar 25, 2006
I'll tell you who is smarter, the one that says that "a relatively small percentage of the LT population" supports the march is NOT. Marchers and non-marchers ALIKE appreciate the reliability of Luz y Fuerza, but not its way of doing business. Since you're not affected you are not entitled to say, of course. And remember, NOBODY is asking for EDENORTE to substitute Luz y Fuerza but Luz y Fuerza was told by authorities to buy power from Luz y Fuerza in order to drop the cost per KW and Luz y Fuerza refused. Besides, NOBODY knows the real cost of Luz y Fuerza, there are too many unknown factors in how they do business, including corruption, giving free power and handing out benefits to people they favor, and that comes out of our pockets (not yours, of course). You wouldn't allow those things to happen where you come from, why should we allow it to happen here? Because we're clowns, right? So, we clown marchers want a JUST cost, which means just that.

terrenero

Mar 25, 2006
But once you get it higher it never goes down, even if you start consuming less. There are EIGHT DIFFERENT RATES in Las Terrenas though only one generation and it does depend on where you live and what your house looks like. They have a "luxury" rate for "gringos", wouldn't you like that?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
As far as I know, all infos provided above by Terrenero are correct.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They want cheap reliability.

Marchers and non-marchers ALIKE appreciate the reliability of Luz y Fuerza, but not its way of doing business. Since you're not affected you are not entitled to say, of course.

I'd suggest to all those who are unhappy with L&F services and rates to generate their own electricity.
It is true that I am not a client of L&F but we have family who are, so I am taking interest in the matter.
And you are telling me not to air my opinion? :tired:

You're a liar and you're lying and...
Please quote.

.... the cost per KW and ....

:laugh:

donP

terrenero

Mar 25, 2006
Well, that would certainly mean that hundreds of us should find the money somehow to generate our own electricity which, of course, is not viable. I'm surprised to hear that you have family who pay Luz y Fuerza and I imagine they don't complain (or do they?). What if those who do not complain make a commitment to not complain about those of us who are doing something to correct the evils of an abusive company on behalf of everybody (those who need L&F and those who don't).

OF COURSE YOU'RE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION, and I to mine, I guess. But to say that the march took place to bring EDENORTE as the sole provider WAS and continues to be a lie. And what I meant to say (in spite of my clownish typo) is that Luz y Fuerza was told by govt authorities that they could buy power from EDENORTE, as a way to bring costs down, and they refused. They want to continue to generate their own power on their own terms without transparency and without accountability. Consumers have to take what they say it's the cost at face value and in the case of a dishonest company that's a lot to ask from consumers.

This is not an issue of expressing an opinion, but I find it "clownish", to use your favorite term, that someone who has no issue with the company and generates his own electricity would call those of us who are fighting a system of oppression as "polit clowns". That's your opinion of course and my opinion is that you're misinformed and disrespectful as well. For those of us dealing with this issue for close to 4 yrs there's plenty of data to inform the decisions taken, such as to march to the presidential palace.

But basically, you wouldn't tolerate what we have to tolerate from Luz y Fuerza back where you came from, right? And you generate your own power so that you wouldn't have to be subjected to what Luz y Fuerza does to the rest of us. It's quite disingenuous to call us "polit clowns" when you're not affected by the issue and you're obvious quite misinformed, don't you think?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Both Ways

Well, that would certainly mean that hundreds of us should find the money somehow to generate our own electricity which, of course, is not viable.
Viable or not, it may be the case if L&F went out of business as the decision of a private company. Tough luck then...

You're a liar and you're lying...
Strong words, Sr. Bourget.
In fact it was Karina Jim?nez reporting in the video (as seen above) who said that "EDENORTE is seen as the light at the end of a tunnel to take over control of the electricity market in Las Terrenas".

But whatever, I now understand you want to benefit from both suppliers:
From EDENORTE you want cheap(er) electricity and from L&F to supply you with it whenever 'se fue la luz' (del gobierno), right?

Sorry, IMO this is ridiculous... :laugh:

[video=youtube;M_q4yI6DB78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_q4yI6DB78[/video]

donP

Last edited:

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, many gringos would like to independent of L&F ; now with reduction of solar panel costs about $1,500 should do it for a small condo.

yapask1