LT's Fight against 'Luz y Fuerza'

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Independent from L&F

Yes, many gringos would like to independent of L&F ; now with reduction of solar panel costs about $1,500 should do it for a small condo.

Of course, everybody (including gringos) wants cheaper rates, although I guess, there were not many gringos marching to SD for that goal...

I agree that those who want to be independent (like myself) should look for alternatives.
Unfortunately an investment of 1,500$ would not be enough (by my experience).

donP

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, many gringos would like to independent of L&F ; now with reduction of solar panel costs about $1,500 should do it for a small condo.

yapask1
Where do you buy those solar panels ?

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Where do you buy those solar panels ?

I bought mine some time ago - will personallypersonal import from Florida where they sell for $230 for 215 watts should involve a mark up of 50% for my next phase. Reckon 2 should do a condo with 2 batteries. Controller/intverter 200$
Wire, mounting $200.

See other threads for details.

2 panels should give about 2 kWh.

Icemaker or small fridge under 1 kW per day.

Small 12 volt fan 100 watts per day.

Lights LED 8 watts each. 8 hours a day 128 watt hours.

Laptop - doubles as TV 8 watts 10 hours a day 80 watt hours.

Washing machine etc. 200 watt hours per day.

Spare allowing for inefficiencies etc. 500 watt hours a day.

yapask1

donP

Dec 14, 2008
0.8 kWh/day

2 panels should give about 2 kWh.

If this is per day then it is a bit optimistic.

My 32-day average with 235Wp panels was 0.8 kWh/day per one panel.
And the month was not bad really, sunshine wise. :bunny:

donP

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012

And the month was not bad really, sunshine wise. :bunny:

donP

Sunshine patterns can vary greatly even within 1/2 mile. yes, should be able to get a small fridge about 0.8kWh per day. 272 kWh per year.

Use a time switch on the fridge.

Invest in a super - efficient fridge e.g.

Amazon.com: 43 Qt Portable Compact Refrigerator Freezer - EdgeStar: Appliances

WAECO CF-25 COOLMATIC 24 QUART 12/24 VOLTS PORTABLE REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER WITH COMPRESSOR : Amazon.com : Appliances

Use an icemaker as I do and store food in Thermos storage jars. Icemaker can run during day only.

yapask1.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005

donP
You get 50% of the optimum
Charger/controller is the key point.
Do you have a mppt charger?

Cordially
Don P.(the real one)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
DonP Buddy(the first non original one),
Jose (terrenero) is right on his matters,
they do NOT demand to get the best out of everyone nor do they demand to get it for free or such,
what the Citizens up there want is to break the Monopol of just one way overpriced Provider,
and in addition they want that the actual provider accepts the deliver of Edenorte Elec for cheapy rates which would lower the costs of the elec deliverd/produced up there right now.

I can't comment on the Rates paid for electricity anywhere else in the country than right here where I pay my Bill every month in Punta Cana, delivered very reliable by CEPM with 24/7 elec available, I have at this moment my last month's Bill at hand and I pay exactly 14.2800 pesos per Kilowatt for the perfectly reliable always available electricity.
we consume of that in our small household on average around 200KW per Month, a bit more during summer when we use the A/C for the baby's comfy night's sleep.
so some rates shown in prior postings of this topic seem to be very High to me, as I always thought that elec is at a high Price here on the East, but it looks like our 24/7 connections are even cheaper than some non reliable connections of others.

it always takes some people to march for the benefit later on taken for thousands, as usual,
most just do not act or just BS talk but once the Job is done they all of course want and do use the benefits/fruits of the work of the Few who did the job.

go ahead, Jose, you guys stand up for your Rights,
as the Idiot$ in other Countries do not, they just Facebook about what is wrong with their Governments but on their next elections they vote for the same crap again.

Mike