Luis Abinader: The DR Will Not Welcome Members of International Mafias

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Global Organized Crime Index 2023

Notice the global average is 5.03 while the DR is 5.02. Only 5 Latin American countries are under the global average.

Jd97X7p.png

Jd97hkN.jpg

1. Colombia, 7.75
2. Mexico 7.57
3. Paraguay, 7.52
4. Ecuador 7.07
5. Honduras, 7.05
6. Panama, 6.98
7. Brazil, 6.77
8. Venezuela, 6.72
9. Guatemala, 6.60
10. Peru, 6.40
11. Haiti, 5.93
12. El Salvador, 5.92
13. Nicaragua, 5.72
14. Costa Rica, 5.53
15. Chile, 5.18
16. Dominican Republic, 5.02
17. Argentina, 5.00
18. Bolivia, 4.95
19. Cuba, 3.37
20. Uruguay, 3.22

https://ocindex.net/
https://ocindex.net/assets/downloads/2023/english/ocindex_profile_dominican_republic_2023.pdf

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I have never understood why the DR can get some sort of competent highway patrol together in the name of combating drunk driving and other general vehicle-borne atrocities. I guess maybe they fear agents getting shot upon pulling over suspects.

Either way, nothing changes if nothing changes 🙄

Big

Apr 24, 2019
i dont think there is a single sober driver on George Washington after 900p.m

Reactions: RDKNIGHT

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Drunk driving is mandatory in the DR......
Especially on Sundays.
I think drunks need to have stickers in back of the cars that says "Bottle on Board"

Attachments

• Snap21.jpg
    Snap21.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 52

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Drunk driving is mandatory in the DR......
I've known several foreigners who always drive around drinking with open containers.
Even been in the car when we were stopped coming across the mountain road from Santiago
to Puerto Plata. PN could care less, all they were stopping us for was money. Sorry officer
"no speaka Spanish" and off we went...
too many times to count.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is no royalty in the DR, nor sangre azul. Yes there was a German freiherr but they murdered him.
In theory and in the books, but being from certain families and carrying certsin last nsmes does mean you will often get a different treatment vs someone else for the very same thing. It's like during the night having traffic interrupted on Ave Lincoln in Piantini because two young guys in Ferrari's decided they are going to race each other. Ever asked a police officer why they never interfere? Afterall, having clandestine races taking place in what is a public street always open to traffic is neither legal or safe. A reporter once asked that very question to a police officer regarding that very same issue and his response was "¿tú sabes de quiénes son hijos?" Needless to say, the report ended right there. lol

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In theory and in the books, but being from certain families and carrying certsin last nsmes does mean you will often get a different treatment vs someone else for the very same thing. It's like during the night having traffic interrupted on Ave Lincoln in Piantini because two young guys in Ferrari's decided they are going to race each other. Ever asked a police officer why they never interfere? Afterall, having clandestine races taking place in what is a public street always open to traffic is neither legal or safe. A reporter once asked that very question to a police officer regarding that very same issue and his response was "¿tú sabes de quiénes son hijos?" Needless to say, the report ended right there. lol
Of course, but that’s different. Money.
The same thing can happen, not to such an extent, in our countries where there ís royalty and aristocracy.
When you have dealt with aristocrats you will notice that in general they are modest, don’t talk about money nor showing off. Not like Meghan Markle, for example.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The same thing can happen, not to such an extent, in our countries where there ís royalty and aristocracy.
When you have dealt with aristocrats you will notice that in general they are modest, don’t talk about money nor showing off. Not like Meghan Markle, for example.
"¿tú sabes de quiénes son hijos? Tío Benjamín

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
“Money and a few yards of silk can make a nobleman”. A line from a movie I watched about the Crusades.

Your right about the low profile of old money. I’ve lived in a few cities. The well to do old money families live in hidden places, drive older good quality vehicles, and don’t flaunt their wealth.

Different world now. Oligarchs and hedge fund managers with mind boggling yachts, private aircraft, mansions, and lifestyles. If you got it, flaunt it seems to be the new mantra of the famous and infamous nouveau riche.

Seeing two Bentleys and two Range Rovers parked by an old apartment complex adjacent to the old Luperon Resort was interesting. The party they were having was more interesting. Babes and bling everywhere.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
“Money and a few yards of silk can make a nobleman”. A line from a movie I watched about the Crusades.

Your right about the low profile of old money. I’ve lived in a few cities. The well to do old money families live in hidden places, drive older good quality vehicles, and don’t flaunt their wealth.

Different world now. Oligarchs and hedge fund managers with mind boggling yachts, private aircraft, mansions, and lifestyles. If you got it, flaunt it seems to be the new mantra of the famous and infamous nouveau riche.

Seeing two Bentleys and two Range Rovers parked by an old apartment complex adjacent to the old Luperon Resort was interesting. The party they were having was more interesting. Babes and bling everywhere.
I think it has always been like that. Look at millionaires row on Fifth Avenue in NYC. Many of the residential mansions now are museums and other non-residential entities, but these houses are basically on the street.

That contrast sharply with the house where William F Buckley Jr used to live. Oh sure, it has a private beach, a pool near the beach and the property is a good size. In the inside there were things like another pool in the lowest floor, a private theater, a room that had a rug of an actual bear that was hunted with his face still on it (I don't think anything scared me more than that), a grand stair case that went up and then broke into two starecaes on each side and a painting on canvas hanging in the wall where all three staircases met of Madame Patricia when she was younger and seversl other things I vaguely remember of the times I went to that house. But, from the outside the house didn't look extraordinary, from the street you can't even see the house, and no one would guess the guy living there had a direct phone number to the White House where the President of the USA dropped anything he was doing to answer his calls. The point is that Madame Patricia would be holding a small fluffy white dog in the yard (as I saw her one time I went to her house) where there was a small white sign that said "careful with the puppies" or something like that and no one would guess from the street that it was her or that she was even there. I never saw the library/home office where he used to spend a good amount of time and, in fact, died; though the official story of how he was found is slightly different from how it was in reality.

Nothing different with the DR, except there is a greater tendency to show that you're wealthy even if you're old money. But in general, there is a difference with the two.