Lustro

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
@Lucifer

The topic of accentuation and where to put the stress reminds me of English speakers and their incorrect accentuation in Spanish. If you watch a baseball game you hear the incorrect pronunciation in the highest form. All those mispronounced last names of the players is really awful.

Ask an English commentator to say Alcántara, Berríos, Pérez- this has to be the worst pronunciation all over the US, López, Jiménez etc. all wrong 🤦‍♀️
Yes, I remember the late Joaquín Andújar, former Houston Astros/St. Louis Cardinal/Oakland Athletics pitcher, whose name was usually mangled by baseball commentators. Joaquín sounded like 'Walking' and Andújar life 'Underwear'.

Dominican baseball commentators are just as wrong when pronouncing names of baseball players from the U.S.

The Leones del Escogido, one of two Santo Domingo teams, once had a catcher named Montgomery, but the locals ALWAYS said MontgoMEry.

I know a man who was a big JFK fan since childhood; he named his son Fitzgerald, but they pronounce it FITZgerald.

My better half went to school with a kid named Francois. He gets upset if anyone uses the French pronunciation; he insist that it is FRAN-COIS, the last syllable as in coy: "you don't have to be coy, Roy."

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Yes, I remember the late Joaquín Andújar, former Houston Astros/St. Louis Cardinal/Oakland Athletics pitcher, whose name was usually mangled by baseball commentators. Joaquín sounded like 'Walking' and Andújar life 'Underwear'.

Dominican baseball commentators are just as wrong when pronouncing names of baseball players from the U.S.

The Leones del Escogido, one of two Santo Domingo teams, once had a catcher named Montgomery, but the locals ALWAYS said MontgoMEry.

I know a man who was a big JFK fan since childhood; he named his son Fitzgerald, but they pronounce it FITZgerald.

My better half went to school with a kid named Francois. He gets upset if anyone uses the French pronunciation; he insist that it is FRAN-COIS, the last syllable as in coy: "you don't have to be coy, Roy."

Speaking of French last names there are quite a few on the island and the reason is obvious. The French last names did not come from Spain but the pronunciation of them by Dominicans and even Cubans is horrendous. My favourite example is Benoît….wow….the pronunciation is insane by Dominicans as are all the other French last names.

Pérez though by English speakers who say Peréz drives me crazy then even Spanish speakers introduce themselves with that wrong pronunciation in the US. I would be surprised if they go back to their respective country of origin saying Peréz.

Reactions: Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Speaking of French last names there are quite a few on the island and the reason is obvious. The French last names did not come from Spain but the pronunciation of them by Dominicans and even Cubans is horrendous. My favourite example is Benoît….wow….the pronunciation is insane by Dominicans as are all the other French last names.

Pérez though by English speakers who say Peréz drives me crazy then even Spanish speakers introduce themselves with that wrong pronunciation in the US. I would be surprised if they go back to their respective country of origin saying Peréz.
While growing up in Higüey, my closest childhood friend was a Haitian kid. Today, he lives in La Romana, and goes by Benoit, pronounced Be-noá.

Dominicans are bad with any and all foreign names and words: From De La Salle (la sa-ye) schools to Trump (Tron) and Instagram (Intagrán) and Facebook (Feibú).

We aren't just merely lazy in terms of work and study, but lazy in all aspects of speech.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
While growing up in Higüey, my closest childhood friend was a Haitian kid. Today, he lives in La Romana, and goes by Benoit, pronounced Be-noá.

Dominicans are bad with any and all foreign names and words: From De La Salle (la sa-ye) schools to Trump (Tron) and Instagram (Intagrán) and Facebook (Feibú).

We aren't just merely lazy in terms of work and study, but lazy in all aspects of speech.

Actually, in linguistics those are hispanicized pronunciations which happens with many English words that don‘t have a Spanish equivalent and not really laziness per se.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Actually, in linguistics those are hispanicized pronunciations which happens with many English words that don‘t have a Spanish equivalent and not really laziness per se.
Well, most are proper names, and should be pronounced properly, as in other countries.

Reactions: JD Jones

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Although not one to posses any scholarship on linguistics or anything remotely related to the study of words and/or language, I still posit that most Dominicans are lazy when pronouncing foreign names.

Case in point:
The Antinoti host, and Santiago native, Sergio Carlo, pronounces Instagram properly, but the majority of Dominicans omit the 'S', and go for an 'N' instead of 'M', thus Intagran.
Equivalent or not, it sounds lazy to me.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Although not one to posses any scholarship on linguistics or anything remotely related to the study of words and/or language, I still posit that most Dominicans are lazy when pronouncing foreign names.

Case in point:
The Antinoti host, and Santiago native, Sergio Carlo, pronounces Instagram properly, but the majority of Dominicans omit the 'S', and go for an 'N' instead of 'M', thus Intagran.
Equivalent or not, it sounds lazy to me.

I am not questioning that and I understood your point from the get go. I just presented the other side of the coin ✌️There are many examples and not all are one in the same. I think we’re good here.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yo lustro mis zapatos!
Careful Spanish sometimes is confusing same like English one word two meaning depending where and how you use it.

JJ