Lynchings???

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
wow, i hope the moderator closes this before it gets out of hand. this could get ugly...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Fine, forget race
Is that your way of saying, "sorry" for insinuating that we are all racist?

Lynching and mob justice are barbaric.
Barbaric: possessing or characteristic of a cultural level more complex than primitive savagery but less sophisticated than advanced civilization
By definition, your statement is correct.

People who advocate either are barbarians, and ignorant of the consequences.
Or??? Either barbarians and ignorant or????
Or what?

As for race and class, let me know when they start lynching expats, lawyers or rich people.:rambo:
I have 100 smartass replies to this, but on a serious note, the above mentioned groups are more likely to commit white collar crime, thus a lot less likely to be found at the end of a lynch mob's hanging rope. Surely you don't think that an angered crowd of citizens who are forming a lynchmob, would stop in their tracks because they found out the perp was a lawyer, or rich, or of another nationality.....

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Leaving race and colour issues aside as they are off topic and totally unwarranted......

IMO "lynchings" are the result of a justice system in which offenders can be bought out of prosecution or indeed jail. Police can be paid off. Judges can be financially "persuaded" to give a judgement one way or the other.
I have rarely seen or heard of "mob justice" where all and sundry have joined in as in a lynch mob... but have seen offenders dealt with by friends and family of the victims and whilst I do not encourage it - I can understand why it happens. It won't stop until people have a reason to trust the system. That may be a long time coming........

:ermm:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
it seems to me that thieves are dealt with more by the public often than any other criminals in the DR. all crime of course is bad but people seem to take matters into their own hands for thievery.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I hope the idea spreads to SD next....I made up my mind a long time ago that should one of DRs Most Wanted choose me.....it will be "them"....the flies and maggots will eat good.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Policia niega tres hombres hayan sido linchados en Santiago

Well knock three off the list.....the report says that accoding to the police, three individuals who supposedly were lynched in Santiago in the last 48 hours, were killed at separate times and for different personal reasons. Credible report by the police???

El vocero policial, Jes?s Cordero Paredes, explic? que Junior Rafael Fern?ndez, de 23 a?os, Edwin V?squez, de 19 y Henry Rafael L?pez Garc?a, de 30 a?os, murieron en fechas y hechos separados cometidos por personas hasta el momento desconocidas, por problemas personales.

Policia niega tres hombres hayan sido linchados en Santiago

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Credible report by the police???

No idea but possibly more credible than some of the reactions to the Bani massacre..............;)

Interesting Puerto Plata example of mob justice - this guy was stealing electrical cable from the street, not inside someone's home & the mob went after him:
Periodico El Faro - Multitud hiere delincuente

Community policing it would appear, not just personal vengeance.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There's a huge difference between advocating something & accepting that it happens. I don't advocate it but I do accept it & I think I have some understanding of why it happens.
I couldn't agree more, on a variety of topics. And doing so isn't "doom and gloom", is it?

Thank you.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Lynchings can seem an OK response in a country where corruption dominates the judicial system just like everything else and does certainly not offer much protection and equality to the poor... the majority of the people. Many times, gangsters and criminals have some police protection too... so again, lynchings seem to be the only way for some communities to gain some sort of justice, set the record straight or rid themselves from those who pray on them.
But there is also the hot "bloodness" of our locals mixed with higher testosterone and a lack of being able to argue difficult situations out vocally in a focused manner. This may indeed have led to false "convictions" and executions by mobs... yet, the question remains, if they are more often than the rigged convictions of innocents in this countries courts of (paid) law.

Meanwhile, "We" the ex-pats may look at all this like thru the virtual "safety glass window" of our computer and tv screens, then after all, we don't rob, break in or assault people, now do we. Yet, there is one circumstance that can propel most any of us into a similar circumstance: A traffic accident with deaths or critically injured. Crowds quickly assemble and emotions can fly extremely high and quickly deteriorate into random mass aggression, especially if friends of family of the victim(s) are present.

Police and others have recommended not only to me, to try to flea the scene of such accidents when ever possible and surrender into protection at the next police station, because the risk of "lynchings", matchetazos and other aggressions. A behavior which can pose questions of morale, when it comes to choose to leave a hurt person unattended for one's own safety.

... J-D.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Yet, there is one circumstance that can propel most any of us into a similar circumstance: A traffic accident with deaths or critically injured. Crowds quickly assemble and emotions can fly extremely high and quickly deteriorate into random mass aggression, especially if friends of family of the victim(s) are present.

Police and others have recommended not only to me, to try to flea the scene of such accidents when ever possible and surrender into protection at the next police station, because the risk of "lynchings", matchetazos and other aggressions. A behavior which can pose questions of morale, when it comes to choose to leave a hurt person unattended for one's own safety.

... J-D.

Good point J-D ...... and one I will certainly keep in mind. Crowds do form very quickly indeed - food for thought!

Rio

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Yet, there is one circumstance that can propel most any of us into a similar circumstance: A traffic accident with deaths or critically injured. Crowds quickly assemble and emotions can fly extremely high and quickly deteriorate into random mass aggression, especially if friends of family of the victim(s) are present.

... J-D.

Excellent point JD, the Crown-Heights riot in Brooklyn, NY started with a car accident which resulted in a death of a child and the entire neighborhood went ballistic. mob violence is no laughing matter

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I couldn't agree more, on a variety of topics. And doing so isn't "doom and gloom", is it?

Thank you.

It is if it means ignoring an opportunity to contribute to the change effort. But I think the 'doom & gloom' quote came from a different thread in a different forum (Government I believe) so I'm not quite sure why it has been brought over here.

'Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference'.

Lynchings are something I personally will never be able to change. The implementation of the justice system is something which I have little power over at the macro level. But at the micro level I can (& do) encourage people towards self empowerment using methods which are legally acceptable. And when people are more empowered here they won't need to lynch to achieve their objective. But...........this won't be happening overnight.

Police and others have recommended not only to me, to try to flea the scene of such accidents when ever possible and surrender into protection at the next police station, because the risk of "lynchings", matchetazos and other aggressions. A behavior which can pose questions of morale, when it comes to choose to leave a hurt person unattended for one's own safety. ... J-D.

I'd absolutely agree with self protection if a mob has gathered, by leaving the scene of the accident and reporting to a police station with one's lawyer. However, it goes against the grain for those expats accustomed to waiting at the scene of an accident for the authorities to appear and this & the moral dilemma you pose JD sometimes makes people hesitate. The only advice I can offer is - don't hesitate.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
There's a huge difference between advocating something & accepting that it happens. I don't advocate it but I do accept it & I think I have some understanding of why it happens. By & large expats aren't lynched because most of them don't rob homes. I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of the British alleged pedophile currently in Fortaleza though............. Maybe rich people & lawyers get kidnapped rather than lynched?

Perhaps the DR1 posters are not aware of the number of lynchings in the States up until the 1960s. While many Americans did not advocate lynching, too many accepted it, because it was only white Southern rednecks killing blacks. When we fail to care about the injustice in our society, we give it our tacit approval. Worse, we risk the hatred of the oppressed, who feel justified in stealing or killing the well off.

Also remember that crime is an equal opportunity employer. The prostitute, the dope dealer, the hitman, report to powerful men who pay off the police,and even the government. They can hire the best lawyers. Your possessions are not worth your life, or anyone elses.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Advocating or cheering lynchings can be a slippery slope to some form of mass chaos. As J D Sauser has very aptly pointed out the same collective phenomena of street justice can turn on gringos involved in a road accident. Btw it can happen to Dominicans too.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It is if it means ignoring an opportunity to contribute to the change effort. But I think the 'doom & gloom' quote came from a different thread in a different forum (Government I believe) so I'm not quite sure why it has been brought over here.
Personal core philosophies transcend forums.

I can't do much on the macro level about the 96% who voted for the status quo in May, but on the micro level I chat with folks about the importance of the institutionalization of an honest gubmint.

And I never lynched anybody, never knew anyone who did, but understand ~why~ folks might.

I hope folks in the police and justice departments arte paying attention to the message the folks doing them are sending.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Perhaps the DR1 posters are not aware of the number of lynchings in the States up until the 1960s. While many Americans did not advocate lynching, too many accepted it, because it was only white Southern rednecks killing blacks. When we fail to care about the injustice in our society, we give it our tacit approval. Worse, we risk the hatred of the oppressed, who feel justified in stealing or killing the well off.

Also remember that crime is an equal opportunity employer. The prostitute, the dope dealer, the hitman, report to powerful men who pay off the police,and even the government. They can hire the best lawyers. Your possessions are not worth your life, or anyone elses.
How can you possibly compare racial lynchings in the US to the scenarios mentioned in this thread?
If you absolutely need to make some comparisons to the US, (for God only knows what reason) you could compare this to the cowboys when they used to lynch horse thieves.
It was their way of deterring that type of crime, so that folks could comfortably leave their horse tied up anywhere, without having to worry.

Why this even needs to be explained to you is beyond me, as it is so clear and evident that the example you use has no resemblance to the subject in this thread, and I suspect you have some other agenda or some mysterious point you would like to make, that is yet to be made clear.

May 12, 2005
Rocky, you read my mind. She just seems to be focusing on the word lynching and what she learned those to be in school in the US. What is happening in DR is more like instant street justice. Perhaps Gabriela would be more comfortable with that terminology. THe US race bace lynchings were just that. Attacks on people of a certain race, because they are that race. In DR what happens is a swift and certain punishment of ladrones caught in the comission of a crime. Apples and oranges.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Personal core philosophies transcend forums.

I can't do much on the macro level about the 96% who voted for the status quo in May, but on the micro level I chat with folks about the importance of the institutionalization of an honest gubmint.

And I never lynched anybody, never knew anyone who did, but understand ~why~ folks might.

I hope folks in the police and justice departments arte paying attention to the message the folks doing them are sending.

Politicians officer, judges and cops will pay attention to this message, when the folks start lynching them, becouse they are the only responsible for what the Dominicans are going today with the big delinquency and corruption.

JJ.