Majarete Recipe & History Lesson

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Okay, majarete is made. Hard to find yellow corn in southern NJ, so we made do with the 'butter & sugar' type [yellow and white mix]. Recipe was easy and fast. Naturally I had to taste it while it was still warm, couldn't wait, yum!! :classic:

It also has the Mr. AE "seal of approval". We'll have it for dessert tonight after it has cooled in the fridge. We happen to love cinnamon, so I left one stick in each cup instead of throwing them out.

Click on images to enlarge.

View attachment 834View attachment 835View attachment 836

~AE

For a truly cooling affect you can also take the cooled mixture and put it into an Ice Cream Maker...I know its NOT traditional, however it is a nice cool treat....."Take out the cinnimon stick thought" ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
corn 008.JPG001.jpg006.jpg

Mine turned out a little too white looking. It's a little more yellow than the picture but not by much. Look at my corn was it too white?

Anyway it is yummy yummy. Thanks to Recipe: Majarete (Corn pudding) - Dominican Cooking

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It depends on the type of corn.The one from the recipe is yellow corn and it looks like you
used the yellow and more white variety.AlterEgo said she used the mixed,and from the
picture she posted it looks yellow.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anna, that looks like the corn I used. Not sure why the color comes out differently, last April our housekeeper in DR made it, and it looked tan/beige/grey!

As long as it tastes good!!

It's a great recipe.

I do have Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook, and looked in it yesterday, the one in there calls for more corn, plus coconut milk. I may give that one a try too.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Anna, that looks like the corn I used. Not sure why the color comes out differently, last April our housekeeper in DR made it, and it looked tan/beige/grey!

As long as it tastes good!!

It's a great recipe.

I do have Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook, and looked in it yesterday, the one in there calls for more corn, plus coconut milk. I may give that one a try too.

I thought this recipe was from Aunt Clara's? She must have several.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The corn I used is sweet corn. It was so tender you could almost eat it without cooking it first.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The corn I used is sweet corn. It was so tender you could almost eat it without cooking it first.

I'm wondering if that might be an issue. The corn in DR is tough and starchy. I don't think they have to add the corn starch down there!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm wondering if that might be an issue. The corn in DR is tough and starchy. I don't think they have to add the corn starch down there!

Yes I think you're right. Not too much starch in the kind I used. There was hardly anything left to strain after I put it in the blender. Oh well we learn. Still tasted yummy. ;)

Had a heck of a time finding whole milk too. The one I bought said 3.25 % homogenized. I don't drink milk so I've lost touch with percentages.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes I think you're right. Not too much starch in the kind I used. There was hardly anything left to strain after I put it in the blender. Oh well we learn. Still tasted yummy. ;)

Had a heck of a time finding whole milk too. The one I bought said 3.25 % homogenized. I don't drink milk so I've lost touch with percentages.

I had quite a bit of solids left over - put it in the fridge until dinnertime, added egg, and fried it up like arepita de yuca, except it was sweet. Good taste, but rather fragile, maybe needed more egg.

BTW, I used the milk I had in the fridge - 2%. Whole milk is 4%.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

You are right,no need to add cornstarch if you make it in the DR.The amount of starch in the corn is
sufficient.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

Yes,it is hard trying to find fresh milk in the DR.I buy the powdered whole milk instead.I've gotten
used to the taste.Got to do with what there is.