Major Marmite Catastrophe..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, you're right about the 'soldiers', but don't make the same mistake that has put off many a newbie. It says on the label 'spread thinly'. This has to be taken literally. Spread a small amount of butter/margarine/low fat spread on the hot toast, and take a minute amount of marmite and spread it as evenly as possible on the melted spread. Eat while still hot and crunchy. I think I'm going to cry.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok chiri will try that if I find any. Now, minute = 1/4 of a teaspoon or is it less?

I want the full experience my first time ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Ok chiri will try that if I find any. Now, minute = 1/4 of a teaspoon or is it less?

I want the full experience my first time ;)

Even less - just a little smear of it - too much is terrifying - too little is just right!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Unbelievable!

This Mamite is really something!

And to think that all of this started on DR1 with Chirimoyito's potential crisis if Marmite was not in one of his breakfast!

If the kid keeps this up, he's going to be one heck of an influential person in life! He he he...

Hey, maybe we can use him in the Dominican Marmite advertising campaign when we start importing this stuff!

Imagine, Chirimoyito's face on one of those billboards along la 27, OMG!

Could be true!:classic:

-NAL

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Unbelievable!

This Mamite is really something!

And to think that all of this started on DR1 with Chirimoyito's potential crisis if Marmite was not in one of his breakfast!

If the kid keeps this up, he's going to be one heck of an influential person in life! He he he...

Hey, maybe we can use him in the Dominican Marmite advertising campaign when we start importing this stuff!

Imagine, Chirimoyito's face on one of those billboards along la 27, OMG!

Could be true!:classic:

-NAL

Who said anything about Chirimoyito? The kid's just fine. It's his mum who's doing cold turkey.:confused:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chirimoya said:
Haven't heard from Anna... hope she's all right.

Marmite, a.k.a. devil's pooh is not for the faint of heart. I actually think you need to grow up with it to love it ;)

Anna, do you have your breath back? or is someone thumping you on the back!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have tasted marmite

Ok I lived through it.:laugh: But I was having trouble getting into DR1 for some reason.

Here's how it went.
I asked one of the handsome men at Zehrs if they carry marmite and he said "I think so let's go look in isle 4". While walking over to aisle 4 I told him all about the reviews this stuff gets on a message board. Well there it was right beside my dry yeast that I buy all the time. No idea why I've never noticed it before except that it was kind of pushed to the back of the shelf in tiny jars. The man said "well I hope it lives up to the hype" since he had never tasted it.

Brought it home, made some soft boiled eggs, toast with a little butter on it, opened the jar took a good sniff wasn't bad or anything so I spread just a tad on my toast.

Ummmm what's it suppose to taste like? All I could taste was salt ;) I will give it one more test another day but it's not the kind of thing I can have all the time due to the salt.

One thing for sure, the jars are small enough and inexpensive enough that I will bring several jars with me next time I come to the DR

Wish I had known before.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
What a bunch of pussies

You spread it on really thick - till it's gone all oozy with the giant blob of butter that hit the toast 30 seconds before - Anyone ever tried Marmite and Camembert on toast? Yummmmmm

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Simon & Nicky said:
You spread it on really thick - till it's gone all oozy with the giant blob of butter that hit the toast 30 seconds before - Anyone ever tried Marmite and Camembert on toast? Yummmmmm

I'm with you!! Gotta have a freshly baked loaf of bread though ..... nice and warm :)

Stay well,
Amy

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Anna, a brave woman taking risks in the name of scientific research.

Most subjects report either absolute revulsion or complete ecstasy. Unless Anna was just being polite.

Simon, as with all powerful substances, you start off with small amounts and gradually raise the dosage. You don't want to scare them off!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Ummmm what's it suppose to taste like? All I could taste was salt ;) I will give it one more test another day but it's not the kind of thing I can have all the time due to the salt.

One thing for sure, the jars are small enough and inexpensive enough that I will bring several jars with me next time I come to the DR

Wish I had known before.

You're my new hero! Please don't taste it again, just put it in your refrigerator and bring it down next time you come. ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I found some info on the stuff and I made two mistakes. I used whole wheat bread (the brown stuff) and I used margarine (I said butter coz is easier to spell :rolleyes:. I did try a slice without anything else on it and the taste is very familiar although I can't place it. Wonder if we had it in Italy on something. A very yeasty salty taste.
I liked the second taste test better and if it wasn't for the salt I would eat it more often.

Chris I wasn't going to bring an already opened jar but if you don't mind two tads missing from it I will certainly bring it with me.

This marmite stuff seems to have loads of vitamin B's in it so other than the salt it's good for you.

Here's the link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A184097

BTW the one I bought did come from England.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good link. However, it doesn't tell you whether the salt content is too high, and I disagree about white/wholemeal bread. It's fine on wholemeal toast. I prefer it with a bland spread as opposed to butter, to fully appreciate the marmitey flavour. The saltiness of the butter can interfere with the experience.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
On the label salt is the second ingredient which means very high in content.

Yes I think the salt and taste of low cal margarine spoiled the first test.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
This thread life is unbelievable,but deserveable

I am so please with the life of this marmite thread.

Over the years I felt total rejection from the few people I tried to introduce it to. In Australia and New Zealand its also sold under the name Vegamite.

Now to let a very big secret out (shouldn't be doing this).

Why do you think the most famous Rugby team in the World are called the ALL Blacks.

Its reported during there unbeaten 1907 tour of the British Isles they covered there bodies in ( you got it, I can't say it as I would then be a traitor ) and then did the Haka and scared the hell out of all there opposition.

The All Black name has stuck ever since ( pun intended )

This 1907 team became known as "The Invinicbles". Man does Marmite have a history or what, lol.

P.S. The Springboks have been terrified of us ever since ( inside joke )

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In a long career of Marmite evangelism my rate of success has been high. Notable converts include my Dominican husband and even my mother-in-law. I regret it in my more selfish moments, because stocks would last longer.

Memorable marmite moment: in a backpackers hostel in Colombia when I sat down at the breakfast table and produced the little travel-sized jar, to be greeted with 'oh great, another bloody pom' by an Australian fellow traveller.

Kiwicanuck, you should know that Vegemite is not exactly the same as Marmite!

Last edited:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Kiwicanuck said:
P.S. The Springboks have been terrified of us ever since ( inside joke )

NOT! We have PRONUTRO!! :D But then again, we don't smear food all over our bodies and dance a silly dance, we eat it because it gives us strength. ;)

Now there's an idea ..... wonder if there's any way to start up a Pronutro production plant around here?

Stay well,
Amy