Major travel changes,,,Son of a b!tch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Looks like subsequent attempts to make it DR related are only putting it on course for the Clown Bin. :)

The only DR link is that it will affect passengers from the DR, especially on US-bound flights, as was the OP's experience.

Mar 2, 2008
Please amend my post to read "on the flight to POP."

Just kidding Chiri.

On a serious note, I think all fights in and out of the DR will be affected to a certain extent.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
My wife and I will be flying into SD from San Juan on Jan 1 on AA. The flight is booked to capacity and airlines are putting into effect their own rules...this is separate from the checking process by the TSA. Some airlines are only going to allow one carry on (for a woman that means just her purse...) other airlines are asking for NO carry ons....and so it goes. AA has not posted their restrictions as far as I know, but this flight will be full of Dominicans taking stuff back to their families for Three Kings Day. I wonder if we will get off the ground before the day is over!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
But wait Latino? So if you show up with a carry on and they dont let me bring it, will you have to check it and if you check it, in addition to your other TWO bags, is there an extra baggage fee?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
FOX News just reported all carry-on bags will be x-rayed and hand screened! That wait in the security area is now going to be 3 hours...plus a 2 hour flight from FLL-SDQ...again, the U.S. treats the symptom not the problem and we all suffer...if your flight to the DR connects thru the U.S., get ready to wait.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I think the answer lies more with studying and following the israeli approach to air travel. Racial profiling and political correctness do not exist. There has not been a terrorist attack on El Al Airlines in over 30 years.

I agree! But I wonder how many more passenger planes will become targets before anything along these lines is implemented.

Hmm, I wonder if El Al will start any routes to the DR any time soon;)

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
This to RacerX:
Each airline company is setting up its own rules. I read somewhere that Air Canada is contemplating asking people not to bring carry-ons at all. As far as I know, AA has not changed anything....yet. If you are going to travel anytime soon, I suggest you call the airlines and ask what's up. I know that I will before we travel to Santo Domingo.

Mar 2, 2008
al-Qaeda's ultimate purpose to get all passengers to disrobe before entering the DR.

It's simple really. First they set about with the shoe bomber, which drew the knee-jerk reaction they knew it would; All passengers must now remove their shoes before boarding their flights.

Their next masterful step is now in play; All passengers will be required to remove their undies. And when all is said and done, we will be entering all (DR) flights without a stitch of clothing. THE HORROR!!!!

It is genius, pure and simple.

LA71009

May 13, 2009
This just in from US Homeland Security:

WASHINGTON – Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says the aviation security system failed when a young man on a watch list with a U.S. visa in his pocket and a powerful explosive hidden on his body was allowed to board a fight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

Napolitano said an investigation ordered by the Obama administration will look at why Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was allowed to board a U.S.-bound flight on Christmas Day despite being on a terrorist watch list.

Something else of interest:

British officials placed Abdulmutallab's name on a U.K. watch list after he was refused a student visa in May.

Home Secretary Alan Johnson added that police and security services are looking at whether Abdulmutallab was radicalized in Britain.

Abdulmutallab received a degree in engineering and business finance from University College London last year and later applied to re-enter Britain to study at another institution. Johnson said Monday he was refused entry because officials suspected the school was not genuine and they then put his name on the list.

Johnson says that people on the list can transit through the U.K. but cannot enter the country.

Sounds like someone screwed up big time...

Last edited:

cosoyoos

Jun 5, 2008
I'm sorry but I'm really not a pregiduse person,but I believe this all falls back on Bush and his choices he made as President. Too much media over the yrs ( and common sense ) has made it quite clear to alot of ppl that had he not started ( yes him and his connection with the BIN Laden Family) 911 and the war which is still killing our ppl ( including our Canadian Soldiers ( yes I am Canadian )whom have nothing to do with this and should not even be there losing their lives over something that YOU know really has dick all to do with us.......than we would not have to deal with this BS with the Airlines .
As it is though I do believe better safe than sorry ( it's unfortunate though that we all have to suffer for one Country's Politician's wrong -doings )

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks to all the posters who tried to keep this thread DR-related, but it was doomed to failure.

If you want to keep discussing the implications of the Detroit attack on travellers to and from the DR, I suggest you fly over to the Travel or Airline Info Forums and open a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.