Many Shipments Will Not be Received

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Well, if 15 couriers knew that their cargo was stored in warehouse without security cameras, what did they expect?

Does 'due diligence' require that they inspect the warehouses at the port of entry to determine what security measures are in place? Is it negligence to rely on a countries agencies that govern the importation of goods? Oh, I forgot, we're talking about the DR.

If the DR is going to move forward the issues revolving around corruption and theft has to be seriously dealt with. This situation must be addressed pronto! And not just a yawn and a wink and nod with an 'oh well, the insurance company will take care of it'! There may very well come a time when the premiums for insurance will be prohibitively high, or nonexistent, and importing goods into the country will be near impossible [perhaps a bit dramatic, but you get my meaning]. In my humble opinion.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There is more to life than just cost. It is however, possible to live in the DR for much less than the rising minimum costs of living at home. When people retire and begin living on a fixed income, and the cost of living continues to climb every year at home: property taxes, electricity, gas, food etc, one can easily do the math and figure out how many years one can remain there before they begin to feel the hurt. When all the excess money is gone and one is merely subsisting, relocating is a much more daunting prospect then than getting out of Dodge when the bank account has a surplus.

One can live more cost effectively here if one chooses to do so.

Other reasons if money is not a factor are climate, a change of pace, a year round garden to help with food costs, and of course that pesky warrant hanging around one's neck back home...

Cheap quality stuff is a pain in the a$$ but there is a formula for that which I ignore almost always. Couldn't find a suitable kitchen garbage can locally, so brought one in from amazon. I could have chosen a plastic version but I'm not yet merely subsisting.

It's nice to have a choice and those that do are free to choose. The aim of the game is to ensure one always has choices. If my thinking is correct, I should have choices long after such an option would expire at home for the same amount of $$$. The DR just has to get the cost increases for coffee under control...

If one can't afford to live well in the DR, then one certainly cannot afford to live well in NA. My rent is cheaper here than it would be at home. Food is on par with what I spent at home. My utilities are cheaper here, internet is more expensive but cable is much less etc. I am hoping that inflation here proceeds at a slower pace than at home - at least until I check out then I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Yet again, people talking as if there are only two places on earth, DR and back home. My point where I said 'new residents baffle me', was relating to tne lack of reason these days. There is nothing at all that DR can offer these days that can not be easily trumped elsewhere in an overall much more attractive destination. DR is nothing of its old self tbese days, and I find myself shaking my head at everything now, where as it used to be tbe odd hassle that gave it a touch of rustic charm. These days, it's just a sorry excuse, not even a developing country, it has somehow against all odds managed to get worse in e ery department, amazing.
but we all require different things in life, some more than others, and the rest just haven't been around enough to know what they're missing elsewhere.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It will be interesting watching the government wiggle out of paying for the stolen property. Sorry for the the victims.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Yeah. Of course it is yet to be seen, but I just can't imagine the current government not making a quick resolution of this incident a priority. The fallout for doing anything less would be tremendous. The DR is on a good trajectory but if this situation gets swept under the rug, as such things have been in the past, it will set things back big time.

You gotta be kidding. Been here a while and never saw a quick resolution to anything.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Does 'due diligence' require that they inspect the warehouses at the port of entry to determine what security measures are in place? Is it negligence to rely on a countries agencies that govern the importation of goods? Oh, I forgot, we're talking about the DR.

If the DR is going to move forward the issues revolving around corruption and theft has to be seriously dealt with. This situation must be addressed pronto! And not just a yawn and a wink and nod with an 'oh well, the insurance company will take care of it'! There may very well come a time when the premiums for insurance will be prohibitively high, or nonexistent, and importing goods into the country will be near impossible [perhaps a bit dramatic, but you get my meaning]. In my humble opinion.

There is no due diligence and the DR is not now nor ever has moved anywhere, most especially forward. Customs will do their own very lengthy investigation and all involved will either die of old age or forget about it by the time any information is released.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I like the barrel shipping and do it all the time. Nothing stolen so far. Coincidence how the big theft happened around Christmas shipping time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I like the barrel shipping and do it all the time. Nothing stolen so far. Coincidence how the big theft happened around Christmas shipping time.

in PHL, they follow the delivery trucks and do the Christmas shopping when the box is left at the door

I lost a coffee maker that way...

UPS makes somebody sign for wine... too many bottles 'lost' at the doorstep

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Really it is not surprising at all. They may round up some "suspects / scapegoats" and then pat themselves on the back for an investigation well done. To live here you have to "roll with the punches". Like others have said, have a plan and a backup plan. I never depend on something to get here on time nor do I depend on someone to do anything on time. It is just a way of life here.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Almost Normal Procedure

It will be interesting watching the government wiggle out of paying for the stolen property.

Stolen?
Never!

You see, that merchandise in warehouse 5 came without invoices.
The employees had to verify the value somehow, right?
Such takes a lot of time and could only be done in overtime at the employee's homes... :rolleyes:

Only 'prestado', nothing was 'stolen'........ :tired:

donP

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
So, it looks like couriers still have to pay all taxes for the stolen items. Unbelievable!

So the couriers have to pay for the freight in getting everything here, and the taxes. That's good in a way.

If only four of the five warehouses are under camera surveillance, the couriers will be more diligent in ensuring that their packages are in one of the surveilled warehouses. Had only the customers been victimized it's likely they wouldn't change anything.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Yet again, people talking as if there are only two places on earth, DR and back home. and the rest just haven't been around enough to know what they're missing elsewhere.

D?pends what you want. I came to live here because that was THE place I wanted to live. Not because of the prices of stuff, but because I LOVE it here. So who cares if the stuff here is cheap. I go with the flow and I'm happy, never wondering where my orders are, will they come in or get stolen. Why complicate things when it's so simple ??

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I agree with Charlise, I love it here. I live simply and well. I don't look for the bad so I can vent all my frustrations. There are challenges here of course. I may have lost $75 usd in items in this heist. We shall see on Monday or Tuesday.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
to refute HUG's theory aboutmany other places...

read Cdn_Gringo's chronicle of his search of 3 or 4 countries before settling on RD
A lot of bad out there.....

The resurrected thread....

Very few have done that type of research/experimentation before 'ex-patting'

donP

Dec 14, 2008

donP

Dec 14, 2008

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Let the finger pointing begin! BTW, what does he mean by 'contraband merchandise'? Stolen? From who?