Marbete and Revista?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
OMG no idea which is which since I've never had to deal with this. I only went looking for threads because they said they had to re-new the sticker. I assume revista is a sticker like in North America? He said it expires in Feb.:hurt:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
OMG no idea which is which since I've never had to deal with this. I only went looking for threads because they said they had to re-new the sticker. I assume revista is a sticker like in North America? He said it expires in Feb.:hurt:

Then it is a "Revista", they expire one year from the date (Month) affixed.

Where as the registration stickers all expire at the same time of the year (I think the end of December is the latest law)...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Where as the registration stickers all expire at the same time of the year (I think the end of December is the latest law)...

Thanks I feel better now. ;)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Well, no, revista just like marbete expire all at the same date. However they have skipped many years, than issued a new revista again two years ago and now they skipped two years again.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well, no, revista just like marbete expire all at the same date. However they have skipped many years, than issued a new revista again two years ago and now they skipped two years again.

No, I don't believe they all expire on the same date

There are 12 months shown around the outer edge of the stickers.
I renew mine every year in the same month of the year that is punched out (When they have them).

Imagine ALL the vehicles in the Santiago having to renew in the same month of the year, no way they could accomplish that with just one location in Santiago for inspection.

wa3uac.jpg

In the following quote, the "REVISTA" reportedly expires in FEBRUARY.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
No, I don't believe they all expire on the same date

There are 12 months shown around the outer edge of the stickers.
I renew mine every year in the same month of the year that is punched out (When they have them).

Imagine ALL the vehicles in the Santiago having to renew in the same month of the year, no way they could accomplish that with just one location in Santiago for inspection.

wa3uac.jpg

In the following quote, the "REVISTA" reportedly expires in FEBRUARY.

That's exactly how it was last revista operation. Everyone had to renew before the end of the year (later delayed till somewhere in January). They started in August but everyone waited till the last moment which meant VERY long lines and DGTT having to open more inspection sites (this was end of 2013). In theory they probably would like it to be at different moments through the year, but in practice it hasn't been like that.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
By spreading it out by month, it would ease the burden on AMET also, that's a lot of tickets to write starting January. Then who cares if the Dominicans don't renew, get after them all year long and give them tickets.

Spread the work load over the "year". :cool: lol

Last time I paid for the inspection, the guy at Obra Publico would not let me in, saying mine was not expired even though it was a year old.

So, I just gave up trying to get it replaced and just kept the receipt in the glove box.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I refuse to pay a tax for a sticker they don't have.

i can not imagine that anybody would care about your beliefs about refusing or accepting given things/rules/lws etc, lol.
and the 45.- pesos Tax is Not for the Sticker/Marbete, it's just the Tax and if paid your car shows in the system fine, otherwise it shows in the system as not paid.
the sticker/Marbete itself, IF available, would cost you a bit extra money.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
That's exactly how it was last revista operation. Everyone had to renew before the end of the year (later delayed till somewhere in January). They started in August but everyone waited till the last moment which meant VERY long lines and DGTT having to open more inspection sites (this was end of 2013). In theory they probably would like it to be at different moments through the year, but in practice it hasn't been like that.

same here.
the last time i got a sticker was 2013.
it was January so i got Enero punched out.
that reminds me now that i still have to pay the 45.- pesos, as January already passed this year, lol.

Mike

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
i can not imagine that anybody would care about your beliefs about refusing or accepting given things/rules/lws etc, lol.
and the 45.- pesos Tax is Not for the Sticker/Marbete, it's just the Tax and if paid your car shows in the system fine, otherwise it shows in the system as not paid.
the sticker/Marbete itself, IF available, would cost you a bit extra money.

Mike

I think that's incorrect. My 2 vehicles are registered in my name, but since I don't have a cedula my wife gets the sticker (Revista) in her name, so how do they know if I paid or not. They don't take the matricula number or the plate number or type of vehicle or anything to do with the vehicle when you pay....just the name and 45 pesos.....That's for the revista, the Marbete is a different story as they register it with the matricula and also costs 1200 pesos or more depending on the year.....and you pay in a different place.....but you knew that already......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
revista, the one that costs 45 pesos is not a tax. it's a check/review.
marbete, that depends on the year of production, is a tax.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
revista, the one that costs 45 pesos is not a tax. it's a check/review.
marbete, that depends on the year of production, is a tax.

I have always bought mine on the street without any inspection at all. Where are the inspection stations?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have always bought mine on the street without any inspection at all. Where are the inspection stations?

We had our car inspected last year, places all over DR, there was a long thread about it Now the new marbete looks like a revista sticker

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think SantiagoDR is right about the intention of the revista thing. You get it when your new car has a certain amount of years or if a used car when you get the first placa, and renew it every year around that time, with a review / check of the car.

In practice that's not how it goes. They never have stickers and the only ones paying the 45 pesos FEE (not tax) are foreigners probably. Last time they had stickers they made a big fuss about it that everybody should get it done, causing long lines and no other check than of your insurance was valid and if you had a copy of the matricula.

I wish they would implement it well, certify certain work shops to do a real check, spread it over the year and the amount of idiots without (brake) lights would diminish and maybe even the wrecks would be filtered out. But I know that's only wishful thinking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly. revista was meant to be a regular inspection and the financial bar was set really low so that all would be able to afford it. alas, duenos del pais do not want their chatarras inspected and folks generally b*tch about it so it never properly took off.

marbete is kinda like a road tax in other countries, at a flat rate: lower for the cars older than 5 years and higher for the newer ones. there was a proposal to have a marbete that refers to the value of the vehicle but that outraged all the owners of nicer cars (that is a majority of politicos and their cronies).

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think that's incorrect. My 2 vehicles are registered in my name, but since I don't have a cedula my wife gets the sticker (Revista) in her name, so how do they know if I paid or not. They don't take the matricula number or the plate number or type of vehicle or anything to do with the vehicle when you pay....just the name and 45 pesos.....That's for the revista, the Marbete is a different story as they register it with the matricula and also costs 1200 pesos or more depending on the year.....and you pay in a different place.....but you knew that already......

my revista stickers always showed the License Plate Number of the vehicle and to pay the fee/tax at banco de reservas i always have to show a copy of the matricula.
the name of the person who get's the sticker never been relevant, i usually sent a employee to get that done so i don't have to wait in the usual long lines at the check-location.
that stuff always goes by the name of the registered car owner.
i give a employee a copy of my cedula, a copy of the matricula and they get it done.
the 45.- pesos thingy i always pay myself at banco de reservas. the only thing they ask for is a copy of the matricula(which they do not keep) so the paid fee/tax goes towards the correct vehicle
it doesn't matter who pays.
same for the Placa renewal(the 1200.- pesos thingy), everybody can renew that for you, what matters is the copy of the maqtricula of the vehicle, it also shows the license plate number of the vehicle. just on this one they keep the copy of the matricula.
the Marbete/revista stickers without the license plate written on them are the usual illegal ones which you can purchase on the streets/at Gas stations etc.
not that it matters, i've never been bothered for the revista/marbete thingy.
on any kind of traffic check i hand the always same package from my wallet, which is cedula, drivers license, insurance plastic and copy of matricula. they see that you hadn over the complete package, they do not even take a real look on it as they know it is somebody with the whole 9 yards at ands, and 20 seconds later you are on the road again sipping the cold one on the way home.
a few years back i observed at such check point up between Otra Banda and Macao when they kept a Jeepeta for the missing revista payment, at east they tried/told the dominican guy so, i did not stay long enough to see how it ended, lol.
but on the same guy i did not any papers handed over anyways, so mthat missingunimportant sticker may just been their excuse/enough reason to bother him. he was nasty to them from the moment he stopped, and did so loud enough so i could clearly understahnd each single word from inside my car.
important is the 1200.- Placa renewal in the windshield, with that they usually do not even stop you this time of the year, as they have sufficient vehicles without that sticker still on the road.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think SantiagoDR is right about the intention of the revista thing. You get it when your new car has a certain amount of years or if a used car when you get the first placa, and renew it every year around that time, with a review / check of the car.

In practice that's not how it goes. They never have stickers and the only ones paying the 45 pesos FEE (not tax) are foreigners probably. Last time they had stickers they made a big fuss about it that everybody should get it done, causing long lines and no other check than of your insurance was valid and if you had a copy of the matricula.

I wish they would implement it well, certify certain work shops to do a real check, spread it over the year and the amount of idiots without (brake) lights would diminish and maybe even the wrecks would be filtered out. But I know that's only wishful thinking.

fully agreed.

Mike

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Last week I saw an Amet stopping a lady (the Amet was a woman too) and ask about the marbete. She hadn't sticked it yet on her windshield but showed the envelop with the sticker. The Amet took it out and sticked it, way too far from the border and not straight. Now that would **** me off.