Mass poisoning of dogs yesterday in Punta Cana/Bavaro

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Theory is unsustainable

It was a resident. Just trace back to the one that complained the most about the barking dogs and you'll have your perpetrator...

Pichardo, sometimes it is true. But, without hard evidence the theory is unsustainable. It is not uncommon sleazy characters who have been silent about dog annoyances will take advantage of the bad blood between dog owners and complainant(s). These silent characters will commit the dog cleansing themselves well knowing accusing fingers will first rest in the direction of the complainants. They get away with the killings and someone else gets the blame.

Regards,

PJT

tim c

May 3, 2007
I agree with PJT. I don't blame any one who kills dogs or cats because the owners do not take care of there problems. I have killed dogs that bark all night. The lady who lived behind me has three cats that she feeds outside. This of course got the strays to come and feed also. What dose this add to??? Cat fights, two or more a night, for weeks on end. The smell from there urine and crap makes me leave my windows closed at night. I asked her to stop this and she gave me a blank stare and walked away. A few ground asprins in a saucer of milk...no more problems [except the smell lingers] Some of you will hate me for this but IM MORE INPORTANT THEN ANY DOG OR CAT IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Take care of your animals or I will take care of them for you

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm a self-confessed dog killer. I'm not happy about it. I'm certainly not proud of it. But through a series of strange events & circumstances, i was forced to take matters into my own hands. Here is how it all started:

My father was sick with cancer and i was taking care of him in Bonao in 2004. My father always kept three big dogs that ran the perimeter of his yard all day and night. The dogs only knew my father and were vicious from all the rock throwing and negative conditioning that Dominican children wreak on dogs behind 6ft fence. Throughout the years, the dogs got so conditioned to hate Dominican children and Haitians that they were like three of the most racist animals i've ever been around. True racist from the get go. I've never seen anything like it. They were like KKK members

Anyway, my father passed away and i had to return back to Norway to work. I had dug a 6ft grave underneath his mango tree where i was going to bury him, but because of a misunderstanding, i had to ditch that plan and undig him. The burial plan was not just mine, but also my father's. It's a long story, but basically when my cousin (who is now a governor) told me "Bury him wherever you want," he was not referring to anywhere on his property, but instead, any "cemetery" in the country that i want.

Anyway, after a clearing up of the misunderstanding with my cousin--where i had to "Unearth" my father and take him to a real cemetery and re-bury him, i had the problem of three very large, vicious dogs to contend with.

I had spent two weeks previous to my father's death trying to find someone who would take the dogs. In Bonao, big dogs are not for your home, but more like something that you keep in your back yard and throw your left-overs to and sometimes tie-up--which makes the dog/dogs bark all night long--keeping both you and your neighbors awake and loathing the day you moved in.

Ok, so after begging everyone i knew to please take the dogs, and everyone telling me that no one can afford--nor had the space--to take three huge, vicious dogs that will eat them out of house and home, i was up to my wits end of what to do. Let me stop here and emphasize that i tired in vain to get everyone i knew to take these dogs.

In Bonao, there are no "Doggie hotels," no "Doggie Vets"--like we have here with Doctor Bob on the northcoast.

So, after consulting my other cousin (a doctor) about my problem, he suggested that we simply inject the dogs and put them asleep. I thought about it for two days, made some more phone calls (this is 2004).Some dominican workers told me to just release them on the street. I said, "Really? the dogs have never been on the streets. They don't understand cars hurt when they run you over. they have never been around other dogs, vehicles, and motorcycles. They would be killed within the hour after running out into the streets and highways. I was running out of options, but i knew i was not going to release three huge dogs out into the streets to fend for themselves. I also realized that my only option was to put the dogs asleep if no one came forth.

the day before i left, my cousin came over and we went to the vet and bought some medicine that stops the heart instantly. We injected all three dogs in succession and i carried them over to my father's first grave sight underneath the mango tree. The 6ft hole was still unearthed from where we had to dig my father back out. The dogs are still buried thereto this day. Every time i drive my his old house i look at the mango tree and think about my father; then i think about how hard it was too dig that f%cking 6ft hole with all the stupid roots that i had to cut through. But then i remember what nice resting place it ended up being for his three dogs.

In the end, something good came out of that 6ft hole in the ground.

Love Frank

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Frank, I swear you need to write a book (memoirs) about your life. I will be the first to purchase the book.;) Include this story.:)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Frank,

There is a huge difference to putting a dog to sleep, and poisoning it.

What you did was humane, poisoning is a horrible way to die.

So, Tim C lost all my respect. Hell, in my eyes he is a despicable being.

I can understand that dogs or cats can be a nuisance. They are just being animals. The owners are to blame. I have 8 dogs, and I clean up their ****, and I go through 200 pounds of dog food a month. Well, I don't... the dogs do. I prefer other food.

BelgianK

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I agree with PJT. I don't blame any one who kills dogs or cats because the owners do not take care of there problems. I have killed dogs that bark all night. The lady who lived behind me has three cats that she feeds outside. This of course got the strays to come and feed also. What dose this add to??? Cat fights, two or more a night, for weeks on end. The smell from there urine and crap makes me leave my windows closed at night. I asked her to stop this and she gave me a blank stare and walked away. A few ground asprins in a saucer of milk...no more problems [except the smell lingers] Some of you will hate me for this but IM MORE INPORTANT THEN ANY DOG OR CAT IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Take care of your animals or I will take care of them for you

You are lucky you are not my neighbor!! Boo to you.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
If more dog owners would act responsibly it would go a long way to reducing these types of horrid acts.
The owner that never understands why people are complaining about the barking and the yapping, because he is gone all day and once he gets home the dog is quiet. Duh!! Could a person BE any dumber?
Or maybe the family down the street has a couple of kids that are afraid of the mean looking dogs and as a result will not walk by that scary house.
The owner of that dog thinks ...great! That is after all why he bought and installed the dogs in the yard. To scare people.
Hah...What about the idiot that has purchased the ones with a hair trigger. You know which ones I mean. Anything that moves will get the royal treatment. Snarling and barking all night long. The neighbours have to get up and go to work the next day? So what...not his problem.
Dog owners, protect your dogs
Act responsibly.
Try to remember that you are not alone in your community.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
What I don't understand is why all the people in my apartments agree that we are kept awake at night by the neighbour's barking dog, the neighbor claims she never hears it. There must be some kind of selective doggy tolerance mechanism.

I would never poison a dog, but some can make you contemplate drastic action!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If more dog owners would act responsibly it would go a long way to reducing these types of horrid acts.
The owner that never understands why people are complaining about the barking and the yapping, because he is gone all day and once he gets home the dog is quiet. Duh!! Could a person BE any dumber?
Or maybe the family down the street has a couple of kids that are afraid of the mean looking dogs and as a result will not walk by that scary house.
The owner of that dog thinks ...great! That is after all why he bought and installed the dogs in the yard. To scare people.
Hah...What about the idiot that has purchased the ones with a hair trigger. You know which ones I mean. Anything that moves will get the royal treatment. Snarling and barking all night long. b.

Great advice but wrong country to give it. 95% of Dominicans will give you the blank stare, no es mi culpa or no importa. Logic, accountability, respect thy neighbor-aint happening here!!!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Keep in mind this was obviously not a case of "my neighbour's dog(s) are bothering me and I'm going to do something about it". Whoever poisoned these dogs did so all over the residential area (which is BIG). There's nothing anyone can say to convince me that ALL those dogs were bothering him/them, especially those that got poisoned on their balonies. To all those that agree to a point with what was done, what would you say if a child ended up dead because of all the poison that was distributed?

I agree that dog/cat owners need to be respectful of others and that's not often the case in this country. I have 3 dogs myself (a rottie and 2 chihuahuas) and my neighbors have NEVER complained to me or the administration because I go out of my way to not bother others. Unfortunately not everyone has this mentality but sometimes (not always), discussing the problem with the responsible party can see an improvement. My upstairs neighbor (Dominican) used to have a little terrier mix that as soon as they'd leave would start howling and crying ALL friggin day. After speaking to the guy a few times and having him almost lash out at me because he didn't believe me, I taped his dog on my phone one day when he left and showed it to him that night. That same weekend the dog was taken to a friend's place in Santo Domingo. Again, not all cases are the same but never would I have gone to the point of killing the poor dog just because his owners wouldn't listen...

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
What a shame if we started to poison humans that litter the beaches, wow what an uproar then especially if it was a member of your family. At least dog poop is degradable not like bottles and plastic. If my bro. ever came across a dog killer (poisoner) he would not be the person you would want to meet on a dark night or even in daylight. You people that preach the good cause for killing animals need to really consider changing planets, a good one would be the Planet NOD.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Do not be surprised

It was a resident!

This was no outsider's deed...

Do not be surprised in the end of this to find the dog cleansing was performed by the residencial administration (insiders) under the pretense of clearing the complex of a rat population.

It is not unheard of residencial administrations sick and tired of hearing complaints about dog problems and having to confront uncooperative dog owners will bait the entire community against rats to settle the matter in Dominican style. After the deed has been done the residents receive predated written notices to take caution of residencial's intent to eradicate rats. The notices distributed in timely Dominican style. Again, welcome to the DR.

Regards,

PJT

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Do not be surprised in the end of this to find the dog cleansing was performed by the residencial administration (insiders) under the pretense of clearing the complex of a rat population.

It is not unheard of residencial administrations sick and tired of hearing complaints about dog problems and having to confront uncooperative dog owners will bait the entire community against rats to settle the matter in Dominican style. After the deed has been done the residents receive predated written notices to take caution of residencial's intent to eradicate rats. The notices distributed in timely Dominican style. Again, welcome to the DR.

Regards,

PJT

The administration wouldn't go as far as throwing poison on people's balconies, some on 2nd floors. Several months ago many apartments were broken into and it was then determined that the perps actually lived in the residencial. Sounds to me like they didn't identify them all and are now preparing for round 2...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Intent vs results

The administration wouldn't go as far as throwing poison on people's balconies, some on 2nd floors. Several months ago many apartments were broken into and it was then determined that the perps actually lived in the residencial. Sounds to me like they didn't identify them all and are now preparing for round 2...

Kate, you should know what it is like to provide instructions to the workers here and the non intended results of instructions. You tell them to remove one screw and they remove all the screws; cut the grass and they cut the grass and the flower shoots; paint the ceiling and they do the ceiling and the cornices. Instruct them to spread the rat poison throughout the residencial and properties and they ......................................

Regards,

PJT

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If that happened to me as a tenant, I would not stay there. I would get the hell out as quick as I can!

I do apologize For calling you those names PJT. I have not been myself the last month so I am sorry. I'm having a really difficult time dealing with issues in my home City. Sorry I took it out on you. I've been an asshole on here. Kinda having a nervous breakdown type thing...

I don't agree with poisoning any dogs or cats.

I do agree people have to take responsibility for their animals though. If I let my dogs out at night and they start to bark for no reason or for a long time i get them back in. I think it is very rude to just let your dog bark nonstop.

I don't live really that close to anyone soIi'm not sure if it would bother too many people but I'm sure people could hear it in the distance a bit?!

A mass poisoning does sound like a different situation though. It's very sad.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Trust me, this all the hallmarks of an insider.

Outside burglars are stupid-morons and would not conceive a plan so extensive as to get rid of all the dogs in the residential in order to carry out a string of break-ins.

Inside burglars are very cunning! They are suave and slick...

The enemy is within...