Massive >4km backup this morning at the peaje for the airport

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So going to the gym this AM, there was a bit over a 4km backup from the Hola! market to the peaje on the eastbound autopista de las americas. This was around 845AM that I witnessed it. On the way back, a bit after 1PM, it had calmed down to maybe 15 or 20 cars deep. It appears to me that the reason is that they are making about 1/2 of the peaje exclusively for paso rapido. I'm guessing that they're trying to create incentives for folks to get the paso rapido. It's going to be very painful to get there.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've mentioned before they have a big problem with folks who use the Paso Rapido lane to try to cut in front of cars in the other lanes. It's really aggravating to have to wait in line almost as long as everybody else.
I've seen them put the orange cones to separate the lanes but they only put them for 200-300 ft.
The only time you save is not having to pay the toll instead of just driving through.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Why is it so hard to get people to use the Paso Rapido? It's called "Sun Pass" in Florida and almost everyone has it. No need to stop at a toll booth. All rental cars in Miami come equipped with it.

Reactions: aarhus

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
because most dominicans dont like to pay inadvance........ive seen people speed along passing everything on the way ........and then have to get in line behind the others who dont have it
It is also annoying when it does not work even when you have funds in the account

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Why is it so hard to get people to use the Paso Rapido? It's called "Sun Pass" in Florida and almost everyone has it. No need to stop at a toll booth. All rental cars in Miami come equipped with it.
Only if you pay extra

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've mentioned before they have a big problem with folks who use the Paso Rapido lane to try to cut in front of cars in the other lanes. It's really aggravating to have to wait in line almost as long as everybody else.
I've seen them put the orange cones to separate the lanes but they only put them for 200-300 ft.
The only time you save is not having to pay the toll instead of just driving through.
Trying to pass on the shoulder and cut in is the Dominican way regardless of peaje.
It amazes me how many do especially taxis

Reactions: PCMike and AlaPlaya

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I was caught in that, took 30 minutes to travel 300 yards.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
So going to the gym this AM, there was a bit over a 4km backup from the Hola! market to the peaje on the eastbound autopista de las americas. This was around 845AM that I witnessed it. On the way back, a bit after 1PM, it had calmed down to maybe 15 or 20 cars deep. It appears to me that the reason is that they are making about 1/2 of the peaje exclusively for paso rapido. I'm guessing that they're trying to create incentives for folks to get the paso rapido. It's going to be very painful to get there.
in a few more years there will be no more toll collectors only easy pass like the USA

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
USA is going that way

If you have no EZPass, they photo the license and mail you the bill

Toll booth operators are gone mostly at this point in NY, NJ and PA where I drive

DR will get there

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
USA is going that way

If you have no EZPass, they photo the license and mail you the bill

Toll booth operators are gone mostly at this point in NY, NJ and PA where I drive

DR will get there
Florida and the DR are 2 different animals. Having an open road with cameras like in Florida will never happen here. People will just go right on driving like on a red light. And mailing the toll here is a complete joke. You don't see any self service gas stations here do you?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Florida and the DR are 2 different animals. Having an open road with cameras like in Florida will never happen here. People will just go right on driving like on a red light. And mailing the toll here is a complete joke. You don't see any self service gas stations here do you?
I'll stick to the bus.
Problem solved.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey is the only state in the U.S. that doesn't allow customers to pump their own gas — anywhere. There's always an attendant on duty to pump gas for customers at these full-service stations. Oregon is the only other state besides New Jersey with a full-service law.
NJ was cited in my post

And my statement holds up as true

Thank you for verifying it

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I look for the one with the least amount of items in front of me.
But the other day it backfired as I got behind a tourist or new resident who was buying plates and glasses and utensils, obviously outfitting his new place - and he was all rung up and then his credit card was rejected by Playero's checkout card reader and then he had to go to the ATM but it wouldn't dispense money on his European card either - so there I was stuck and all his stuff was already wrapped in paper and bagged and in a cart.
So I had to switch to another line and even after a long wait and I got through the other line- he was still there at the register with a "What do I do now ?" look on his face. I felt bad for him
I let my wife chose, then its all on her.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Here in Ontario tolls are transponders 20 yrs no transponder no problem cost you more plus pay for pictures taken of your plates… don’t pay no problem lose your license or plates.. no toll booths slow you down or slow traffic.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Here in Ontario tolls are transponders 20 yrs no transponder no problem cost you more plus pay for pictures taken of your plates… don’t pay no problem lose your license or plates.. no toll booths slow you down or slow traffic.
If it happens here, that's how it will happen. Imagine when Marbete time comes around. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas