massive accident on azua-barahona road

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I drove that stretch of road once, just as it was getting dark. The bus drivers were extremely aggressive and dangerous!

aggressive is the perfect word to describe the driving. everyone wants to be at the front of the line of traffic. people overtake anywhere, without a concept of defensive driving. i wonder what they do with the 30 seconds they save on each trip.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lawlessness and Anarchy on the Roads

El Caribe ? Se entrega el chofer que ocasion? accidente Azua-Barahona

The driver of the large truck shot in the air twice and got away in the vehicle of the driver whom he was competing against in the race.

People burnt his vehicle.
"El incendio del veh?culo de carga conducido por Moralo Aquino, quien huy? del lugar con ayuda de otro patanista, realizando dos disparos al aire, fue ocasionado por un grupo de personas quienes llegaron en dos minibuses, y en represalia buscaron un gal?n de gasolina e incendiaron la patana, la cual qued? convertida en chatarra."

http://hoy.com.do/multitud-incendia-patana-que-choco-autobus-en-tramo-carretero-azua-barahona/

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
seeing the time frame between the accident and the time he showed up to face the justice i am sure his blood will come as clean and he will never admit that he was drunk.

btw, i understand running away, people would have burned him alive along with the patana. if i ever cause an accident, i'm outta there in seconds. in europe running away makes things way worse. in DR it makes things momentarily better as you are not lynched on the spot...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The real weird thing here is I find most people drive slowly on open roads.
For diffrent reasons. Some cars will start losing parts above 80km/h (wheels, windsceen, exhaust pipe.....). But also lots of new(ish) looking Suvs, crawling along.......
The exception are lorrys and caribe tour buses who fly around as if possesssed........

I am more scared of getting hit by behind when stopped ( I have had a couple of close shaves ), or behind a slow going lorry ( especially on road navarrte/POP)....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well... when i first drove to santiago, just after i got my license i went maybe 60-70 km an hour. poor miesposo was sweating blood and tears. but at least i went on the outside lane. i could not go faster as i lacked experience and confidence. but with driving you will never learn unless you actually do it. so each time i drove a bit better and better. now on the highway (well, sort of, i've only driven to santiago and cabarete) i do 100-110 km tops which i think is decent, considering the state of those roads.
i think the biggest problem is a lack of consistency. people drive very slowly, then suddenly speed up to drop back to the crawl again. i see it even more as a white woman. nothing pi**es off a dominican driver more than a woman, and a gringa to boot, overtaking his rotten 25 years old corolla.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
transport unions & politics

Going against the conchos and guagas publicly is political suicide. Their power is based on a combination of their sheer numbers and their origin as a Trujillo era creation to keep tabs on the population. Through them, the government could know who was going where, saying what to whom, and when.

In spite of all the progressive posturing of today's political class, they still treat the transport unions with kid gloves. Pols know the people will side with the conchos because the conchos only need to threaten fare hikes that they always blame on any government attempts to impose vehicle standards, safety rules, or otherwise regulate them. The conchos do it to keep the public under their thumb. The medieval conditions of the public transportation is sad and embarrassing.

That is because these transport syndicate mafias can still do as they please here. But I am afraid even Danilo unfortunately has his reasons not to act against them...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think hubieres and the rest of sindicalistas de trasporte should be publicly executed. i suggest something drastic and visually impressive. maybe burning at the stake. then the government could politely ask those who replaced the sindicalistas if they want to fry or will they finally shut the f**k up and do as told. nothing less will work.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
of course she adapted easily to Euro driving, it's easy to adjust when you don't have to deal with people doing engine overhauls wherever their vehicles break down (passing lane included) or suicidal motorcyclists, or cars traveling at horse and buggy speeds because they are missing two to three wheel bearings!

On the other hand, my dominican wife drove alone from my town in Holland to Oberhausen in Germany (missing those shopping malls). She doesn't dare to drive on dominican highways...only city traffic, but adapted to european driving rather quick when we lived there.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
you will notice drivers reducing their speed whenever the road curves, there is not muchfamiliarity with controlling vehicles at high speeds on curving roads

The real weird thing here is I find most people drive slowly on open roads.
For diffrent reasons. Some cars will start losing parts above 80km/h (wheels, windsceen, exhaust pipe.....). But also lots of new(ish) looking Suvs, crawling along.......
The exception are lorrys and caribe tour buses who fly around as if possesssed........

I am more scared of getting hit by behind when stopped ( I have had a couple of close shaves ), or behind a slow going lorry ( especially on road navarrte/POP)....

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think you might be projecting and reading a little too much into that situation.

well... when i first drove to santiago, just after i got my license i went maybe 60-70 km an hour. poor miesposo was sweating blood and tears. but at least i went on the outside lane. i could not go faster as i lacked experience and confidence. but with driving you will never learn unless you actually do it. so each time i drove a bit better and better. now on the highway (well, sort of, i've only driven to santiago and cabarete) i do 100-110 km tops which i think is decent, considering the state of those roads.
i think the biggest problem is a lack of consistency. people drive very slowly, then suddenly speed up to drop back to the crawl again. i see it even more as a white woman. nothing pi**es off a dominican driver more than a woman, and a gringa to boot, overtaking his rotten 25 years old corolla.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Even the buses ate dangerous. Caribetours bus goes over 80 mph coming down the mountains into Puerta Plata. Look out the Window next time. Scare the hell out of you. At least Metro has seat belts so you have a small chance of surviving the violent roll down the mountain side. They scare me so much I either drive or take the local that stops all the time, Transporte Cibao. Their drivers seem much better than either of the other two companies. When you factor in the lengthy shops in PP and Santiago I get to SD in about the same time. Lots of local color on the Transporte Cibao bus. The best trips are late Friday afternoons when all the young ladies are on their way to Sosua for their part time jobs.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I think you might be projecting and reading a little too much into that situation.

i know i'm not. i have seen it repeatedly, especially when i still had a capa which is a small, weak and crappy car. i don't see the same aggression towards overtaking when miespsoso drives.

May 5, 2007

The DR is basic training for driving in Florida, you learn that no one must be in front of you for any reason

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
driving

I think my sense of humour is warped. I can't help myself, I always laugh when somebody risks a front end collision or going off the side of the road to pass me. I also get a laugh when another driver has to slam on the brakes because he sped up to beat me to a red light or a busy intersection's stop sign. It's in the same category as always keeping your eyes and attention focused in the direction you are traveling - - not in the local playbook. How often do you see someone driving straight ahead while focused on something off to the side or behind them? It's not funny but I can't help but laugh.

The DR is basic training for driving in Florida, you learn that no one must be in front of you for any reason

Aug 6, 2006
There were seatbelts on the bus I took from Barahona to SD last month.

I don't think the driver exceeded 110 kph. I was sitting right behind him. I seem to be the only one that bothered with the seatbelt. Once I was in a bus accident on the switchbacks between Mexico City and Veracruz. This was on a Flecha Amarilla first class bus, and I was asleep at the time. It was pure chaos, since the bus was on its side and nearly full. It seemed like it must have been on a soprano convention, since there was an inordinate amount of high pitched wailing. I was sitting on the aisle seat, and the bus was lying down on the opposite side. I only got a bruised rib. I helped drag people down the aisle and pushed them up through the door. No one was killed, so I guess he wasn't speeding. The Cruz Roja from Orizaba came after about half an hour. Of course, no one had cell phones and it was dark and there must have been thirty cars stopped.

The most exciting bus ride in which I did not have an accident was between Quito and Cuenca, Ecuador. If you have not seen the Andes, you have not seen real mountains.