Master Plan: Puerto Plata - Sosua - Cabarete

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Operative words........

if they put in a proper infrastructure.
It might take them 10, 20, 30 years to pull it off properly, if ever.

Back in 1990 I saw a lovely plan for Juan Dolio, with a boardwalk along the beach, a pedestrian/service road with wide sidewalks, shops and 4 story apartment buildings with a few large resort complexes (that spanned both sides of the highway), a wonderful sewage treatment facility and a 27 hole golf course.

Well....we have two golf courses now -walled and guarded for 'members and guests', the beach has been 'renovated' to it's former glory (although erosion is already severe in spots), the street has been paved but of course with all the construction trucks and digging up to make water connections it's a mess....
lots of project started but so far only a couple completed...etc.etc.

Yes it would be nice and would definitely make a big improvement on the north coast.

Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Nope it's not online.

DavidZ, every realtor and developer on the north coast knows about it, so it cannot be that secret. This is something that has been talked about for years, just only recently some imagery has appeared supporting the plans.

I didn't say it was a secret, just that it wasn't intended for the "public" at this point, as far as I know. Once the final plan is approved, I assume it will be released through the media for everyone to see...and discuss.

I have seen several "Master Plans" that were created over the last 15-20 years and attended presentations by the Minister of Tourism in Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. There are plans in the works for the entire country, but I don't think any have been approved yet.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Looks nice, but where's the master plan for the current residents of Los Charamicos. :ermm: You know, the one with the bypass road for tourists to use for a few months to get to El Batey & Cabarete while the military puts people out of their homes and clamps down on protestors?

I have mixed feelings about relocating people from their homes of many years... here or in other countries... to take from someone an area that they consider 'home' so that others can have their vision of 'home' - just seems something's not right about that. I know how I'd feel...

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
It is my belief that until that offending polluted river is stopped, the value of anything they build there wouldn't cover the construction costs, again, IMHO.
There's a domino effect of residential spillover to new upriver areas, if they put in a proper infrastructure through La Maranatha and Bella Vista.
It might take them 10, 20, 30 years to pull it off properly, if ever.

There is very heavy 'political' clout over the ownership of the land around the Sandcastle site. This same influence is what is causing La Piedra and the Tablon to be moved on. The big problem on the river is the chemicals from the pig farm higher up and of course the physical pollutions from the residents in the Charimicos area, all of which are 'easy' fixes if the funds are available. In the scheme of the Puerto Chiquito site alone....what would this add to the cost of a condo, perhaps an extra $US 5 per m2?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is very heavy 'political' clout over the ownership of the land around the Sandcastle site. This same influence is what is causing La Piedra and the Tablon to be moved on. The big problem on the river is the chemicals from the pig farm higher up and of course the physical pollutions from the residents in the Charimicos area, all of which are 'easy' fixes if the funds are available. In the scheme of the Puerto Chiquito site alone....what would this add to the cost of a condo, perhaps an extra $US 5 per m2?
It may not be such an easy fix.
Everytime an infrastructure is built for an existing area/barrio, new people will move into the outer areas, along the river of course, and pollute it upstream.
It's not going to be all that easy.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The plans look nice, but what about the funding, has this even been discussed? If they wait for the governement to do it, look for that to happen when Colon picks his nose. If they are using private funds, well that could be a different story all together. If fact some models like these have been implemented with success in other parts of the world, where "distressed" areas are taken over by the municipality to be redeveloped at the cost of the developer and then the developer gets some prime real estate, etc. Typically, new and/or public/low income housing is created on the perimter.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The plans look nice, but what about the funding, has this even been discussed? If they wait for the governement to do it, look for that to happen when Colon picks his nose. If they are using private funds, well that could be a different story all together. If fact some models like these have been implemented with success in other parts of the world, where "distressed" areas are taken over by the municipality to be redeveloped at the cost of the developer and then the developer gets some prime real estate, etc. Typically, new and/or public/low income housing is created on the perimter.
Logically, one would think it will all be privately funded.
Some things may land up appearing to be government funded, but the real money behind it will be private.
The sky's the limit, when you consider how inexpensive the DR is as compared to other Caribbean destinations.
When or if it will get done, is anybody's guess.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is the plan for Puerto Plata the same one that was 'around' 18 years ago? Or has it changed to incorporate the 'new planned bypass' road? :cheeky:
Don't know about the 18 year old plan, but it shows nothing of a bypass road.
Just fixing and widening roads, as has already been done, along with some projects with new buildings.
Nothing radical like in Sosua.

MstrPlan1.jpg

MstrPlan2.jpg

MstrPlan3.jpg

MstrPlan4.jpg

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks. Yes that's the same as before & most of it is now done, mas o menos. I think the debate about the Chocolatera still goes on............Felucho wanted it for apartments, the Cultura people wanted it for arts centre, college etc etc. Last I heard the Cultura people were winning. Surprised there's nothing about the bypass - there was even a plan at one time showing where it would go, which got some...........reaction. Maybe the idea has been dropped.

G-force

Aug 11, 2009
help me out

Hey iam doin my thesis project on the Chocolatera of Puerto Plata, could you help me out with some information, for example where did you get that plan you published in 2008?
I would really appreciate your help.
thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey iam doin my thesis project on the Chocolatera of Puerto Plata, could you help me out with some information, for example where did you get that plan you published in 2008?
I would really appreciate your help.
thanks
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill ya.