Medical emergency flight required to UK for Mr. WB

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
WB...just wondering if my contact has been of any assistance since we spoke last night....please keep me posted.

Hope Mr WB is having a better day today!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
WB...just wondering if my contact has been of any assistance since we spoke last night....please keep me posted.

Hope Mr WB is having a better day today!

I contacted her this morning and she has done as much as she can to help, at this stage, but sadly still no success with a direct flight which is really what we now need.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm going to PM you the cellphone number of Alex the aircraft Engineer for Thomsons and Thomas Cook - there's a chance that he might be able to help as it is an emergency situation; Good Luck

That's me!

Do not bank on a charter flight being available out of POP, they are all booked full. You might be lucky with a no-show, but at this time of year it's a real gamble.

Here are your options:

Friday Samana-Gatwick Thomson
Saturday POP-MAN Thomas Cook
Sunday POP -LGW Thomas Cook / POP-MAN Thomson
Monday POP-GLA Thomson
Tues POP-LGW Thomson

If you want to try this option, word will get out that this is a medical emergency. Make sure he has a fitness to fly letter from a doctor.

If you want my opinion, get yourself down to Punta Cana and take the BA flight to LGW either tomorrow or Sunday. If his condition worsens then you will be stuck, especially as it is a lung problem. No airline will want to take the risk and will refuse carriage.

Reactions: Tamborista
May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
That's me!

Do not bank on a charter flight being available out of POP, they are all booked full. You might be lucky with a no-show, but at this time of year it's a real gamble.

Here are your options:

Friday Samana-Gatwick Thomson
Saturday POP-MAN Thomas Cook
Sunday POP -LGW Thomas Cook / POP-MAN Thomson
Monday POP-GLA Thomson
Tues POP-LGW Thomson

If you want to try this option, word will get out that this is a medical emergency. Make sure he has a fitness to fly letter from a doctor.

If you want my opinion, get yourself down to Punta Cana and take the BA flight to LGW either tomorrow or Sunday. If his condition worsens then you will be stuck, especially as it is a lung problem. No airline will want to take the risk and will refuse carriage.

Ha, Hi Alex - I had no idea :surprised

I was also worried about the medical thing for them, knowing that airlines don't like carrying passengers they already know to be sick.

Do you know what would happen for them in the event that someone gave up their seat because of an appeal (I know that they would still have to pay the full fare to the airline) - but that might work no?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Great re Facebook and, as you say, swellsurfcampcabarete you never know... perhaps others with FB accounts would please do the same. The plea is already on mine and now being posted by my friends to all of their friends so we are networking well I hope.

Thanks for that response beeza - currently he is fit to fly and the doctors are happy to supply him with documentation to that effect but we just want to find the most straightforward and easiest way of getting him from our home just nearby to Sabaneta to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, Scotland.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Ha, Hi Alex - I had no idea :surprised

I was also worried about the medical thing for them, knowing that airlines don't like carrying passengers they already know to be sick.

Do you know what would happen for them in the event that someone gave up their seat because of an appeal (I know that they would still have to pay the full fare to the airline) - but that might work no?

Hi!

If it's with Thomas Cook, then I would be able to fix it. It would still cost US$560 for the one way ticket though.

I do know of someone who won't be using his return ticket (you know him too an, ex spinning instructor), but his return isn't until Mon23 which is too late.

I can't stress how important a fit to fly letter will be though. We had a medical diversion with TCX last Monday. The flight left from Montego Bay, Jamaica. One of the pax had a supposed heart attack and the Captain diverted into POP. Once they landed in POP, the crew ran out of hours so they had to nightstop. All the pax off and into hotels. The following day when the flight was checking in, the pax with the heart attack turned up wanting to go home and said that he was feeling fine! Needless to say the Captain refused him. His little stunt cost the airline at least ?250,000 because we had to sub-charter a plane to catch up with the schedule.

However due to the seriousness of this, I really wouldn't be messing about hoping for a seat. The BA option for me would be the only one.

I'm going back to the UK myself at the end of the month. It looks like I'm riding a jumpseat. Something that non employee can no longer do.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi!

If it's with Thomas Cook, then I would be able to fix it. It would still cost US$560 for the one way ticket though.

I do know of someone who won't be using his return ticket (you know him too an, ex spinning instructor), but his return isn't until Mon23 which is too late.

I can't stress how important a fit to fly letter will be though. We had a medical diversion with TCX last Monday. The flight left from Montego Bay, Jamaica. One of the pax had a supposed heart attack and the Captain diverted into POP. Once they landed in POP, the crew ran out of hours so they had to nightstop. All the pax off and into hotels. The following day when the flight was checking in, the pax with the heart attack turned up wanting to go home and said that he was feeling fine! Needless to say the Captain refused him. His little stunt cost the airline at least ?250,000 because we had to sub-charter a plane to catch up with the schedule.

However due to the seriousness of this, I really wouldn't be messing about hoping for a seat. The BA option for me would be the only one.

I'm going back to the UK myself at the end of the month. It looks like I'm riding a jumpseat. Something that non employee can no longer do.

What day/time/number/etc. of flight? If good for MR/MRS. WB. I'll meet you at POP with cash, as long as he gets on board and in the air.

WB's call. Let me know.

Reactions: AlterEgo

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What day/time/number/etc. of flight? If good for MR/MRS. WB. I'll meet you at POP with cash, as long as he gets on board and in the air.

WB's call. Let me know.

We have to wait and see if someone comes forward either confirming that they are not using their return flight, or that they are willing to give up their seat for Mr WB.

Until then, there is nothing I can do.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Just a thought, but I am told that one of the Thomson Airbus planes has been out of commission and they have been using a 767 which has a lot more seats on it. Give Thomsons a ring in POP (or the UK) and see what the current situation is. A friend came back last week and there were loads of empty seats.
Good luck to you both, I hope something comes up for you.
Rio
x

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We have to wait and see if someone comes forward either confirming that they are not using their return flight, or that they are willing to give up their seat for Mr WB.

Until then, there is nothing I can do.

Totally understandable but how do I get to the people to ask someone to give up their seat...... am more than prepared to compensate or offer them something of value to do so as am getting desperate now.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Desperately need urgent flight to UK - all normal routes seem to be fully booked until at least 21st August which is far too long as Mr. WB's lung is filling with fluid and, by then, he may well not be fit to fly...

Our only other option would be to wait at the airport for a number of hours to see if there are any 'no shows' on the Thomson or Thomas Cook flights but this really is very undesirable under current circumstances.

We know there are people, like us, who buy a return ticket to DR but do not intend to go back on the return flight - we just need to know as to whether it is worth going to wait at POP or elsewhere to hopefully buy a stand-by ticket - can anyone please let us know if you know of a seat available. Preference is from POP to Glasgow on Sunday but anything considered.

Thanks everyone!

until you have your flight you may control the liquid in your lungs with medication which takes out fluids, they are called Furosemide or Torasemid ... Usually the fluid retention in lungs are provoked by heart deficiency.

My father and my mother are having this problem. Believe me after the first pill you will have the urge to pi a lot and within a few hours you will feel relieve in your lungs.
Nevertheless you need, asap you arrive in UK, to get checked your heart.
With the water pills you will control definitely your current problem.
I would start with just 10mg. You get them in every pharmacy for a few pesos.

When the water retention in your lungs is reduced your heart has less pressure.

Good luck!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just a thought, but I am told that one of the Thomson Airbus planes has been out of commission and they have been using a 767 which has a lot more seats on it. Give Thomsons a ring in POP (or the UK) and see what the current situation is. A friend came back last week and there were loads of empty seats.
Good luck to you both, I hope something comes up for you.
Rio
x

Sorry Rio, I'm afraid you've been given duff gen!

Thomson don't operate Airbuses, Thomas Cook do. Thomson / First Choice operate B767. Thomas Cook also operates B767, but not usually on the transatlantic routes. It has been known for TCX to substitute a B767 for an Airbus, but the capacity is the same on both aircraft.

Although I know how confusing it can be as both companies sound the same, Thomson/Thomas Cook! I've heard a rumour that Thomson might be rebranding the airline and going back to Britannia

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Totally understandable but how do I get to the people to ask someone to give up their seat...... am more than prepared to compensate or offer them something of value to do so as am getting desperate now.

Turn up at the airport with your bags packed on the days I gave you, and talk to the Swissport check-in staff.

I will also be there on for the Thomas Cook flights and you have my phone number. I fix the planes, I don't deal with passengers, but of course I will do everything that I can to help you. Most of the Captains are friends of mine and I will talk to them to see what we can do.

PM me your phone number.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i checked the Flights from here on the East with friends,
here is the answer I got

Hi Love,
there are seats showing from Puj to lgw on Sunday with BA,no one is allowed to fly jumpseat in the cock pit anymore.
they have this option or standby in POP.
BA is operated by AMstar here and they would need to call and check out the passport situation with them first and then book online .
also contact Viannela at the British Consulate 809 472 7111, maybe she can assist.
BA i think is there best option

my friend at Amstar is actually not taking the cellphone, will get you a office number there.
Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
here I got the number for the Amstar office to ask about the open seatts on BA for this sunday:
809-221-6626
if they want any prepayment for the booking here in Punta Cana prior to your arrival in PC just let me know and I will take care of that.

good luck
Mike