Medical Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patti Shabaga

Mar 3, 2015
Hi!

Can a tourist purchase medical insurance in the DR? I don't believe there is covid related coverage for travelers from Canada. I'm curious as to what others are doing while travelling within the country, and perhaps there is something available that I am unaware of?

Thank you

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Hi!

Can a tourist purchase medical insurance in the DR? I don't believe there is covid related coverage for travelers from Canada. I'm curious as to what others are doing while travelling within the country, and perhaps there is something available that I am unaware of?

Thank you

I believe anyone can buy medical coverage in the DR but you cant use the plan until youve had it for a year. The more experienced in this area can confirm. I simply use my stateside insurance through excellus bcbs. They have doctors in the DR on their network. Typically you pay cash and get reimbursed.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
My travel insurance does not cover pandemics. But Tui the main package tour operator in the UK are covering any covid19 related expenses, including testing in visited country, medical care and flying you home if need be, also if you have to isolate in the visited country they will extend the holiday and give you a later flight home. They are not planning to travel to the Dominican Republic until November at the earliest though. I would book with a package company like that, maybe the Canadian companies are offering the same. Package in UK covers flight, hotel and transfers with in resort Tui rep

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I got local insurance and was told I could use it after the first month. I didnt need it for the first 6 months but did use it after for my daughter to make a visit to the emerg. I dont know what the bill was but my share was 60 pesos. Got a perscription and my share was 75 pesos. So far so good

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
You can easily buy health Insurance from us on-line for a short period of time or long term and there is no contract. All we need is a copy of your passport. There is no medical under 69 years old.
Covid19 is covered by the two large insurers we represent.

Patti Shabaga

Mar 3, 2015
You can easily buy health Insurance from us on-line for a short period of time or long term and there is no contract. All we need is a copy of your passport. There is no medical under 69 years old.
Who would I be buying this insurance through? What website would I be looking for?
Thank you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What company is the insurance with?

Reactions: Andre14615

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
You can definitely buy a "viajero" policy which is health insurance for visitors. I was talking about this specifically with my insurance lady yesterday. You just give your dates and they set up a policy for you with one of the big insurers like Humano. I'm happy to pass on the details of my insurance agent if you need.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
You can definitely buy a "viajero" policy which is health insurance for visitors. I was talking about this specifically with my insurance lady yesterday. You just give your dates and they set up a policy for you with one of the big insurers like Humano. I'm happy to pass on the details of my insurance agent if you need.

thats excellent...you have any more info on this type of policy?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The lady who does my insurance is called Zaide Alba, she runs an insurance brokers called Coalcava in Santo Domingo. Just email her with your dates and she will send you a quotation. Her email is zalba@coalcava.com . The quotation will give the name of the insurance company and set out the cover, ideally you need insurance through one of the big ones like Humano ARS as this is accepted pretty much everywhere. I have used Zaide for nearly 10 years both for my business and personal policies and can recommend her. If you do need to claim she gets involved and is very helpful. I stress I have no business connection with her, I am just one of her customers.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
The lady who does my insurance is called Zaide Alba, she runs an insurance brokers called Coalcava in Santo Domingo. Just email her with your dates and she will send you a quotation. Her email is zalba@coalcava.com . The quotation will give the name of the insurance company and set out the cover, ideally you need insurance through one of the big ones like Humano ARS as this is accepted pretty much everywhere. I have used Zaide for nearly 10 years both for my business and personal policies and can recommend her. If you do need to claim she gets involved and is very helpful. I stress I have no business connection with her, I am just one of her customers.
Just to confirm. You dont need to wait a year for any services through these viajeros policies?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have Palic and Humano
I had Palic and now have Humano. I and others I know were told by agents for both plans that 65 was the maximum enrollment age for both companies.
Did something change over the past years?

Status
Not open for further replies.