Methadone

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
But this fellow wants methadone in the DR.
Are you saying that the mentioned website can do that?

pretty much so. they can for sure get him connected is someway, or perhaps get him a service that will provide a delivery to this location. But like i said, it will cost some money to do that, but the med itself is dirt cheap! The one problem i found out is that most online services for example will not take a credit card from this location. I tried even though my bank and card are through commerce bank in jersey. A certain online place has gotten burned with stolen cards therefore denying any service to us here. One place i did business with i had to fax over a copy of my passport, front and back copies of my credit card and licence etc. It was a pain in the butt and this was for something non related to this subject. Bottom line, they would not service me because of my location. Amazing!!! and its not the mirrors!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In the other tread that he started I posted:

Is the medication available in the D.R.? If so, can a Doctor perscribe/administer?

Regards, Ringo

I did not want to enter into this mess. See the other thread.

I asked the question because if the methadone is for pain management and Jackel is coming here for a week's holiday one would hope that his health advisors could supply him with something to cope. However if he is a methadone maintained heroin addict I can understand the medics reluctance to provide a 'supply'. If he is the latter he is probably someone trying to break a heroin habit and cannot suddenly stop taking methadone without some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

The problem in the DR is that not all doctors can prescribe - doctors who can prescribe other drugs need a special licence and not all have it. Jackel, if you're going to Punt Cana might I suggest you contact Hospiten Bavaro in advance of your trip?
Hospiten - Dominican Republic (DR1)
Phone number is there also email is bavaro@hospiten.com
Fax number is here
Hospiten

If you can get assurance that they can maintain you during your holiday then that would set your mind at rest. If you can't, then maybe pick a different destination, one where you know treatment is available?

I understand your reluctance to enter the fray, Ringo, but if Jackel is a medically supervised patient this isn't a 'mess' - he's just a patient. Some info here if you are interested:
http://www.isamweb.com/pages/pdfs/e-book%20Issue%202/Stimmel.pdf

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
In the other tread that he started I posted:

Is the medication available in the D.R.? If so, can a Doctor perscribe/administer?

Regards, Ringo

I did not want to enter into this mess. See the other thread.

Jackel asked a question and I was more interested in trying to find an answer. Megabitme and Lambada provided some leads that help answer the question.

I did not want to get into the "name calling" mess that had developed.

Regards, Ringo

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
I asked the question because if the methadone is for pain management and Jackel is coming here for a week's holiday one would hope that his health advisors could supply him with something to cope. However if he is a methadone maintained heroin addict I can understand the medics reluctance to provide a 'supply'. If he is the latter he is probably someone trying to break a heroin habit and cannot suddenly stop taking methadone without some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

The problem in the DR is that not all doctors can prescribe - doctors who can prescribe other drugs need a special licence and not all have it. Jackel, if you're going to Punt Cana might I suggest you contact Hospiten Bavaro in advance of your trip?
Hospiten - Dominican Republic (DR1)
Phone number is there also email is bavaro@hospiten.com
Fax number is here
Hospiten

If you can get assurance that they can maintain you during your holiday then that would set your mind at rest. If you can't, then maybe pick a different destination, one where you know treatment is available?

I understand your reluctance to enter the fray, Ringo, but if Jackel is a medically supervised patient this isn't a 'mess' - he's just a patient. Some info here if you are interested:
http://www.isamweb.com/pages/pdfs/e-book%20Issue%202/Stimmel.pdf

lambada, 100% correct!!! either way... especially Methadone quick stoppage, too dangerous and cannot be done without major effects and possible death depending on how long a person has been taking it.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
My VA doc just switched my meds from Tramadol and Darvocet to Methadone yesterday. I am just wondering what to expect. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about taking this med, even though he is starting me off at the lowest dosage; 2.5mg BID. Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report | Quote
#2 2008-05-28 17:03:52
bigcat90
Expert

E-mail PM Website Re: Methadone?Here is a link for you...Methadone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tiny protrusions t7 t8,mild to moderate bulge l-5s-1 l-3 l-4,annaular tear fixed,Mild to modterate spinal stenois bilateral. ddd rhizotomy january 8th
Report | Quote
#3 2008-05-28 18:58:17
lynnsy
PM Re: Methadone?Were you having issues with Tramildol and Darvacet? Are you to a point in your pain where your not in so much pain anymore? How long have you been on the other drugs? Doc may be putting you on it for a different reason...

"If you're lucky enough to live in the Mountains, you're lucky enough"
Report | Quote
#4 2008-05-28 21:08:11
rentalguy1
E-mail PM Re: Methadone?The Tramadol and Darvocet were not working. I had been on them for about a year. I have also tried a TENS unit with no luck. The Methadone is for pain. i was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it.

Herniated Disc L4-5, Herniated Disc, Stenosis, and Severe Degenerative Facet Disease with Radiculopathy L5-S1 (as if that's not bad enough, a recent MRI has shown a torn menicus, tendonosis, osteoarthritis, and a buckled ligament in my right knee)
Report | Quote
#5 2008-05-28 23:15:02
Frustrated2008

PM Re: Methadone?As far as I know, methadone is used for primarily two reasons.

1) To help get those off of their addiction to opiods (most commonly heroin and morphine, although it works for other opiod addictions, too).

2) For chronic pain management. It is very inexpensive and long lasting.

It sounds like you have chronic pain issues so hopefully this works for you!

My posts are for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical diagnoses or treatment. Always consult with a physician for any health problem or medical condition.
Report | Quote
#6 2008-05-28 23:32:59
rentalguy1
E-mail PM Re: Methadone?Yeah...It's definately for pain. I've never used drugs and up until a few years ago, the only times I would even take an aspirin was for the back pain...not even for a headache. He offered me that or morphine, but he suggested methadone because of fewer side effects.

Herniated Disc L4-5, Herniated Disc, Stenosis, and Severe Degenerative Facet Disease with Radiculopathy L5-S1 (as if that's not bad enough, a recent MRI has shown a torn menicus, tendonosis, osteoarthritis, and a buckled ligament in my right knee)
Report | Quote
#7 2008-05-29 10:35:50
lynnsy
PM Re: Methadone?I was on a liquid dilaudid pump at the hospital, (moraphine pump didn't touch my pain after three level fusion) for 5 days. Went to an in-house re-hab center to learn how to walk and climb stairs for 7 days, still on dilaudid (synthetic heroin, ) then finally I got to go home after I learned how to walk. Was perscribed to dilaudid pill form, same amount though as drip . After 4 weeks of that, I was really having issues with that disgusting drug!!! My body and mind was addicted in that short of a period, I was having horrible thoughts, crying all the time, I was going through withdrawals,... the scariest thing I've ever been through.

Husband and visiting nurse saw what was going on with me, going down hill quick, it was terrible. My nurse made me an appointment with my PCP immediately that day.... He put me on methadone and prozac to get me off of the delaudid. I had to take a high dose of methadone for two weeks, then weaned me down to a smaller dose for one week, then an even smaller dose, until my body was finally through the withdrawal symtoms from the delaudid. Like I said, it was the most horrible thing I've ever been through. I was litterally scared to DEATH!!

Now, I'm taking 3 maybe 4 percocets a day. Depending if I over do it. So thats what my experience with methadone is.....

Last edited by lynnsy (2008-05-29 10:37:38)

"If you're lucky enough to live in the Mountains, you're lucky enough"
Report | Quote
#8 2008-05-29 20:42:20
ernurse
Expert

E-mail PM Re: Methadone?Very important about methadone is good oral hygeine. Methadone reduces oral secretions(saliva) and therefore you lose that natural mouth cleansing effect. Brush your teeth often and use sugar free gum or candy to promote saliva for your dental health.

From what I've read, methadone can take 5-7 days to really kick in. Also, it hangs out in your fat cells, so say you rapidly dropped weight-you would have an unintentional release of the medicine. Also, if you gain weight, you might experience a lower pain relief effect for a time. I think(and I'm really not sure on this one) that certain foods may enhance or decrease the absorption-like grapefruits, but like I said, that's not a for sure thing on my part.

I posted an earlier post asking if anyone knew if methadone leaches minerals from your bones(NOT the tooth decay effect i described due to decreased saliva). I haven't really seen much about that to prove or disprove it. My concern would be for patients who are trying to fuse-would methadone undermine that????

Another side effect, I've heard that methadone is way more constipating than morphine. Comments anyone???

Also, I think Tramadol and Darvocet are like candy in the realm of pain relievers. Seems like a big jump to methadone. I'm not saying you aren't in that much pain, just would have thought your doc would have picked something else in a medium range category and maybe something else that might compliment it.

I am not a pharmacist so can only report what I've read or seen, but I really would be interested in real studies about the methadone and fusion connection.

Last edited by ernurse (2008-05-29 20:46:08)

June 07 L4-S1 TLIF. Nerve pain in legs gone, came back with a vengenance! May 08 right sided hardware removed(can't remove it all becuz I'm not fused) and lots of new bone growth removed from L5 nerve root.
Report | Quote
#9 2008-05-30 00:08:19
Frustrated2008

PM Re: Methadone?lynnsy wrote:
I was on a liquid dilaudid pump at the hospital, (moraphine pump didn't touch my pain after three level fusion) for 5 days. Went to an in-house re-hab center to learn how to walk and climb stairs for 7 days, still on dilaudid (synthetic heroin, ) then finally I got to go home after I learned how to walk. Was perscribed to dilaudid pill form, same amount though as drip . After 4 weeks of that, I was really having issues with that disgusting drug!!! My body and mind was addicted in that short of a period, I was having horrible thoughts, crying all the time, I was going through withdrawals,... the scariest thing I've ever been through.

Husband and visiting nurse saw what was going on with me, going down hill quick, it was terrible. My nurse made me an appointment with my PCP immediately that day.... He put me on methadone and prozac to get me off of the delaudid. I had to take a high dose of methadone for two weeks, then weaned me down to a smaller dose for one week, then an even smaller dose, until my body was finally through the withdrawal symtoms from the delaudid. Like I said, it was the most horrible thing I've ever been through. I was litterally scared to DEATH!!

Now, I'm taking 3 maybe 4 percocets a day. Depending if I over do it. So thats what my experience with methadone is.....

Dilaudid is NOT a synthetic heroin. It is actually Hydromorphone which is an opiod analgesic and is a derivative of morphine.

My posts are for educational purposes only and are not intended for medical diagnoses or treatment. Always consult with a physician for any health problem or medical condition.
Report | Quote
#10 2008-05-30 02:12:48
paulgla

E-mail PM Re: Methadone?Nice post ernurse!

We have a lot of members who, once the gave it a try, really like the methadone. The negatives they have metioned is the constipation and it seems to make them more tired than other meds. There is also the stigma associated with methadone. After all the stuff I have read on it, if they ever want to switch me off the fentanyl patch I will proabably opt for this med.

Good luck..............Paul

a-c joint removal in left shoulder (right will be soon)., bilateral knee replacements, c2-c7 stenosis and myelopathy, DDD, osteoarthritis, cervical laminectomy, medial facetectomy, and foraminotomy done at C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 from posterior, 13 surgeries to date, mild scoliosis, and now synovial cysts in the lumbar spine.
Report | Quote
#11 2008-05-30 10:27:55
rentalguy1
E-mail PM Re: Methadone?thanks for the replies. Here is my update at the beginning of day 3. All of the tramadol and darvocet is out of my system, and the methadone either has not kicked in yet, or the dose is way too small. Probably both, but my VA doctor will not let me to call in until June 10th to let him know how the meds are working. I am guessing he will double it from 2.5mg BID to 5mg BID. That may be the magic number for now...I hope.

I had the stigma at first, but I got past it. I have horrible pain that I have to control. I don't like taking this stuff, and I will be off of it at the very first opportunity (ESI's/surgery). It is making me a bit more tired, which is very good since I only sleep about 2 to 4 hours a night. As far as the constipation goes, I have had that problem for quite a while. The docs say it is due to spinal cord damage from the stenosis. If any of you have stenosis, start studying a bowel plan now. Don't wait until you are already miserable, and then try to figure it out. I've increased my water intake, and the doc has a script in for a good fiber therapy (not exactly sure what it is yet).

Thanks for the replies, and I'll try to keep you updated.

Report | Quote
#12 2008-06-03 04:22:47
egriff

E-mail PM Re: Methadone?As far as the oral care recommendation, I think that goes for any long acting opiod medication, not just Methadone. All opiods decrease saliva production and we all need to be aware of the need for increased dental care.
Again, I think the reason Methadone stands in the spotlight here is the attachment with drug users. I have noticed an increased thirst since using it and do take extra good care of my teeth.

The constipation is a pain in the ass (pun fully intended). However I noticed recently since I was prescribed Percocet for breakthrough pain after a surgery (I had always used Vicodin before) that the constipation increased tremendously. perhaps I got used to the Methadone?

I am indeed one who has sung the praises of the drug. It has done wonders for me while allowing me a somewhat lucid mind. That being said, I can't wait to get off of all the stuff!

Griff

ACDF levels C5 to T1 on 1/08
Revision needed of ACDF on May 30 due to poor prior surgical decisions- Partial Corpectomies of C5-T1, each vertabrae reduced by about 1/3 in height, decompression of spinal cord and nerve roots achieved. New grafts and new hardware placed. Let the healing begin!!!
Report | Quote
#13 2008-06-03 23:18:47
sacrilizedinsc
Authority
E-mail PM Re: Methadone?Rentalguy, I am doing great on the methadone. It will take every bit of 7 days to get into your system though. But once it is there, it stays. Very long acting. 2.5 is very low but I was started at 5 mg and could not increase until after day 5. The way that my doc explained to me is that it builds up in your system. So, if you take 5 mgs today and then 5mgs tomorrow, the 5 you took yesterday is still there. The next day, the next 5 you have built up 15 mgs. This stuff stays in your system for like 36 hours. That is why the dose seems so low. By the time that you get to day 5-7 you actually have quite a bit of the med built up in your system because it just stays with you so long. That is why they are slow to make any adjustments to the dose. I do not feel drugged on the methadone. I take mine at 7PM so that I can sleep most of the initial drowsiness off by the next morning. It has worked well for me and I hope that it does for you too! Keep us posted on your progress.

DDD, Facet Arthropathy, discography, annular tare, laser spine surgery, endoscopic microdiscectomy, facet blocks, rhizotomies, epidurals, methadone, topamax, DJD, sleep apnea
Report | Quote
#14 2008-06-04 04:14:04
wingnut4
E-mail PM Re: Methadone?Im on tramadol too and someone mentioned something about trying methodone,

Is it not much stronger? Id be scared to ask my doctor for methodone!!