Metro Line 2B

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
don't be a meanie, take one for the team! ;)……………..

Not being a meanie, LOL ………. I learned my lesson stay away the first two weeks. When Line 1 first opened I went maybe second or third day. That line to buy a ticket must have had a couple hundred people. I waited a couple weeks and went back mid-week and all was well.

When the Teleferico recently opened I went the first week. I lucked out because I was transferring from Metro to Teleferico but those only out to ride the Teleferico were waiting in line close to an hour to buy a ticket.

Lesson learned, give it just about two weeks before a test run. Heck it is still the Metro only new thing for me would be riding over the bridge at the Ozama River. Two weeks I have to go to Megacentro so will check it out then.

Yes, those who use the Metro do indeed love it. I know those over in SD este are smiling now. Watch out Agora Mall Food Court come Sundays...………..

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Why will I wait?

March 29, 2009 opening week of Metro LIne 1. Wow does time fly. The line to buy a ticket wrapped around the corner back 50 meters, wrapped around another corner and more. I looked, took the escalator to street level and came back a few weeks later.

hwzgqa.jpg

A few weeks later I had an entire car to myself riding out to Villa Mella. Those were the days gone by. Now consider yourself very lucky if you get a seat. With the expansion of Linea 2 probably be lucky to get on the Metro, but more cars are coming.......

whgyo8.jpg

Above pic is the last few stops of Line 1 where the Metro is above ground. 95% of the Metro is underground.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
according to the article linked above more cars are coming in september, that should thin the crowds a bit.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
according to the article linked above more cars are coming in september, that should thin the crowds a bit.

yes, saw that in the article you posted. It will thin the crowds "a little". You have no idea how crowded that Metro is during rush hour. I often wonder what the streets above would be like if there was no Metro.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
don't be a meanie, take one for the team! ;)
people are loving it already:
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...nto-domingo-enamora-a-los-usuarios-PG10529644

next? i'm guessing that transport hub in los alcarrizos that was announced recently.

Finally rode the line 2B. Not sure why it is referred to as Line 2B where it is still Line 2 but with four additional stops. Even the signage at the stations has 2B. I guess the name changes from one to the other automatically once you cross the Ozama river. It's not like you have to get off of one Metro and get on another.

Not much to report as only difference the Metro now leaves Eduardo Brito, comes from underground, crosses the bridge, back underground and four stops you are at MegaCentro.

It rained most of the morning so I kept putting off going to MegaCentro. I had to go today so I finally went right at the height of evening rush hour. If you ever opened a can of sardines you know exactly what it was like on the Metro at rush hour. Never, ever again. I will leave the rush hour commute for those who have no other choice.

The heavy rains caused the brown water Ozama River to rise. There are tin roof, half a roof metal shacks right on the river in SD este. The water had risen so much from above you could see those shacks right on the river must have had at least a foot of water inside. I guess they are used to it and just wait for the water to recede and try their best to go on with their lives. Just another reminder for me to continue to count my blessings.

If you are coming from the north with little to no luggage and needed to get to the airport the Metro Line 2B may help. One could take Caribe Tours to the Maria Montez station and take the Metro to MegaCentro thus avoiding ALL of the SD centro traffic. From there taxi to airport.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
I was in the area Sunday 9 September 2018 for the provida march. Concepción Bona is near a humungous shopping plaza Megacentro which is worth visiting. However, they really need to push the Teleférico as a tourism thing, like the San Francisco, California, USA trolley cars. High-rolling philanthropists can’t help but look down as they cross the river and view the standard of living, those metal shacks along the bank.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was in the area Sunday 9 September 2018 for the provida march. Concepción Bona is near a humungous shopping plaza Megacentro which is worth visiting. However, they really need to push the Teleférico as a tourism thing, like the San Francisco, California, USA trolley cars. High-rolling philanthropists can’t help but look down as they cross the river and view the standard of living, those metal shacks along the bank.

How far did you ride the Teleferico? In case you didn't know there are two Telefericos. The first one goes two stations from Metro Eduardo Brito then you switch to Teleferico 2 and ride one more station.

A tourist attraction? Not too sure about that because all that would do is put the lowest income people's living condition on display. I do agree if you live in SD and in the area just to ride the Teleferico is relaxing and enjoyable.

Thanks for posting...……..

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Quick: Who is/was Concepción Bona?

The last stop of Metro Line 2B. LOL, thanks for the history lesson, I had to Google it.

Now that you mention it all stops on the Metro are named after an important person in the history of the Dominican Republic. It can be confusing when you want to get off at let's say avenida lincoln which is Pedro Mir station. When riding the Metro look at the map and under each station's name in parenthesis is the corresponding street name.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
How far did you ride the Teleferico? In case you didn't know there are two Telefericos. The first one goes two stations from Metro Eduardo Brito then you switch to Teleferico 2 and ride one more station.

A tourist attraction? Not too sure about that because all that would do is put the lowest income people's living condition on display. I do agree if you live in SD and in the area just to ride the Teleferico is relaxing and enjoyable.

Thanks for posting...……..

I got out at Sabana Perdida and boarded the next one, to Charles de Gaulle, a very appropriate name for a transit station in Santo Domingo Norte since that dude had such strong connections to the local community :cool: And when I got there somebody told me that it is mandatory that you get out because they do not let you stay on all day, so I got out out, walked around and then got back in. Now, an investor staying at a posh hotel such as Barcelo and riding a limo to this tourist attraction, then seeing the riparian residents’ living conditions might ponder ways, like a chess player, to make a buck investing in a business that would incidentally put persons to work. The first order of business is to remove the bureaucratic obstacles to investing.

Now imagine a female alighting at that transfer spot and reading the sign, Estás en Sabana Perdida and replying, “I am not in the sabana and I’m not lost.” (It probably wasn’t funny the first time somebody said it.)

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
I got out at Sabana Perdida and boarded the next one, to Charles de Gaulle, a very appropriate name for a transit station in Santo Domingo Norte since that dude had such strong connections to the local community :cool: And when I got there somebody told me that it is mandatory that you get out because they do not let you stay on all day, so I got out out, walked around and then got back in. Now, an investor staying at a posh hotel such as Barcelo and riding a limo to this tourist attraction, then seeing the riparian residents’ living conditions might ponder ways, like a chess player, to make a buck investing in a business that would incidentally put persons to work. The first order of business is to remove the bureaucratic obstacles to investing.

Now imagine a female alighting at that transfer spot and reading the sign, Estás en Sabana Perdida and replying, “I am not in the sabana and I’m not lost.” (It probably wasn’t funny the first time somebody said it.)

Charles de Gaulle is the name of the avenue where the station is.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
New trains for the Santo Domingo Metro

The Office for the Reorganization of Transport (Opret), the Santo Domingo Metro Office, has announced that two new trains have been added to serve the lines 2A and 2B of the Santo Domingo metro. With the addition of these, there are now 12 trains operating on the metro, each with a capacity for 528 people. Another group of new trains is due to be added at the end of October this year for a total of 18 trains soon to be in operation.

http://almomento.net/opret-incorpora...nuevos-trenes/

(from dr1 Daily News)

I have a strange feeling this will be the last news about the Metro for a long time to come. Hope I am wrong but my guess the Metro will now get put on the back burner and more Teleferico installations will be the new news.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The Office for the Reorganization of Transport (Opret), the Santo Domingo Metro Office, has announced that two new trains have been added to serve the lines 2A and 2B of the Santo Domingo metro. With the addition of these, there are now 12 trains operating on the metro, each with a capacity for 528 people. Another group of new trains is due to be added at the end of October this year for a total of 18 trains soon to be in operation.

http://almomento.net/opret-incorpora...nuevos-trenes/

(from dr1 Daily News)

I have a strange feeling this will be the last news about the Metro for a long time to come. Hope I am wrong but my guess the Metro will now get put on the back burner and more Teleferico installations will be the new news.

I agree. The Los Alcarrizos Telespherico should start popping up in the news soon.