Migracion boarding my guagua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Seriously? There is a world of difference between a British accent and an Australian one. Not just pronunciation but also intonation. Australians go up at the end of each sentence for example.
I was talking about “cockney”.

“Cockney is frequently given credit for the Australian English accent, and this is not an entirely bonkers idea. In a situation such as the settlement of Australia and New Zealand, the number of speakers of a certain variety, i.e. the frequency of certain accent features, has been said to play a greater role than the social prestige of a variety, and the majority of convicts arriving in Australia were Cockney speakers. The interaction between the convicts, and thus the numerical influence of Cockney features over other accents, started already on the ships taking them to Australia, and once there, the speech of the convicts even affected the speech of the penal officers. Thus, Cockney speech features became numerically dominant in Australia and shaped the way English was spoken there.”

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I was talking about “cockney”.

“Cockney is frequently given credit for the Australian English accent, and this is not an entirely bonkers idea. In a situation such as the settlement of Australia and New Zealand, the number of speakers of a certain variety, i.e. the frequency of certain accent features, has been said to play a greater role than the social prestige of a variety, and the majority of convicts arriving in Australia were Cockney speakers. The interaction between the convicts, and thus the numerical influence of Cockney features over other accents, started already on the ships taking them to Australia, and once there, the speech of the convicts even affected the speech of the penal officers. Thus, Cockney speech features became numerically dominant in Australia and shaped the way English was spoken there.”

Judging from your writing I can see you are an educated man, and I am guessing you speak other languages as well. Staying on topic, these immigration agents here can discern from an accent if someone here is Dominican or not. Some can even gain insight into a person's education level or social standing. Slang is thrown around here like candy. If a subject is not using it, an agent would have a clue that the person he is dealing with might not be someone he would want to "shakedown".

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think any of us who speak Spanish reasonably well can tell if someone is Dominican or not. Haitians particularly struggle with words like Gracias which often comes out as Glacia. In reality though it's a lot to do with finding any reason to lock people up, in the expectation that money will change hands to get them released.

It's strange to me, if you go to Duarte con Ovando in the capital there are about 20 or 30 Chinese-owned hardware shops selling everything at about half the cost of other shops. And all the staff are Haitian or Chinese. But "strangely", Migracion seem to leave them alone. It seems to be a thing that the authorities here are scared of the Chinese.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Judging from your writing I can see you are an educated man, and I am guessing you speak other languages as well. Staying on topic, these immigration agents here can discern from an accent if someone here is Dominican or not. Some can even gain insight into a person's education level or social standing. Slang is thrown around here like candy. If a subject is not using it, an agent would have a clue that the person he is dealing with might not be someone he would want to "shakedown".
One of my neighbors in Canada was from Grenada and had run the Yacht Club for many years, then drove a transit bus in Toronto. He swore he could tell within minutes which Caribbean Island a person was from just by their accent. His wife said she couldn't, but it was true he could. He had told me my wife was from the DR before she had told him, and my son had several friends from the Caribbean that Mickey confirmed correctly that one was from Jamaica and the other Trinidad. Take a good ear and paying attention to detail to be able to do this. My wife can tell who Haitian is almost immediately.

Reactions: CristoRey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think any of us who speak Spanish reasonably well can tell if someone is Dominican or not. Haitians particularly struggle with words like Gracias which often comes out as Glacia. In reality though it's a lot to do with finding any reason to lock people up, in the expectation that money will change hands to get them released.

You just reminded me of Trujillo’s directive to identify Haitians by demanding they say “perijil”. Apparently, they can’t.

• Wow

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
One of my neighbors in Canada was from Grenada and had run the Yacht Club for many years, then drove a transit bus in Toronto. He swore he could tell within minutes which Caribbean Island a person was from just by their accent. His wife said she couldn't, but it was true he could. He had told me my wife was from the DR before she had told him, and my son had several friends from the Caribbean that Mickey confirmed correctly that one was from Jamaica and the other Trinidad. Take a good ear and paying attention to detail to be able to do this. My wife can tell who Haitian is almost immediately.
Jamaican is an easy one mon, but the difference between Grenada, St Vincent and St Lucia is pretty slim

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Like Bob’s wife, Mr AE can tell in seconds where a Spanish speaker is from.

Not all Dominicans can though. Several years back we stayed at Lifestyles in Puerto Plata and the dreaded timeshare sales guy assigned to us was a very polished (and very European looking) Dominican. All conversations were in Spanish. On about day 3 he asked Mr AE where he was from. He said New Jersey. (😂😂😂). Guy said, “No, I mean what country are you originally from, I can’t place your accent”. The look on his face when he replied “Dominicana” was priceless.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

It's strange to me, if you go to Duarte con Ovando in the capital there are about 20 or 30 Chinese-owned hardware shops selling everything at about half the cost of other shops. And all the staff are Haitian or Chinese. But "strangely", Migracion seem to leave them alone. It seems to be a thing that the authorities here are scared of the Chinese.
The Chinese are smart and they know how to play the game. They run circles around the local business owners no matter who the host country may be.

They had a major dust up further down the road around Av.Duarte y 27 de Feb about 10 years ago because the Chinese run shops were only hiring Haitians. A lot of cussin and fussin ensued and afterwards they started hiring more Dominicans but it was short lived.

The Chinese tend to favor the Haitians over the Dominicans, according to what I was told by a Chinese business owner down in the Capital, because they work harder and steal less.

All of these Chinese business owners are members of their local Chinese Business Association/ "Guanxi" networks. These same associations have no problem with "lobbying"/ playing politics to make things run as smooth as possible for their fellow countrymen and I hate to say it but this probably includes immigration related issues as well.

Talk about a rabbit hole...
One could easy write a book about this topic.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's the word my Chinese friend used to use. She would always lower her voice and look around before she said it, even though we would be alone in her business.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Like Bob’s wife, Mr AE can tell in seconds where a Spanish speaker is from.

Not all Dominicans can though. Several years back we stayed at Lifestyles in Puerto Plata and the dreaded timeshare sales guy assigned to us was a very polished (and very European looking) Dominican. All conversations were in Spanish. On about day 3 he asked Mr AE where he was from. He said New Jersey. (😂😂😂). Guy said, “No, I mean what country are you originally from, I can’t place your accent”. The look on his face when he replied “Dominicana” was priceless.
My wife has been mistaken for Mexican, Guatemalan, and Colombian by Dominicans. Partly because of looks but she also speaks properly pronounced Spanish. She can speak cibaeño, ña if required. When we go visit her old aunts in the campo, she reverts to this.

• Haha

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If I recall past posts of yours, you seem to have a significant amount of friends with arrests and criminal records
What are you talking about? This same friend of mine was arrested once a few years ago for being on the back of a moto-concho whose driver was arrested for not having the correct documents. When I went to rescue her, I asked the officer involved what she was arrested for, He said "suspicion".

I have no friends with criminal records that I know of.

So please keep your ridiculous thoughts to yourself if this is the best BS you can come up with. It has been peaceful here now that you rarely post.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Oh yes. I also knew an Irish lawyer who was locked up for a few nights because he refused to pay when a moto-concho on which he was a passenger crashed into some parked bikes. Neither one of the people in question are by any stretch of the imagination criminals or delinquents.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And, if I am not mistaken, one of the posters who put a "laugh" emoji on your post has told us that he has been locked up before too. But I don't know him personally, so I'm not counting him. My apologies in advance if I am wrong about the person in question.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Oh yes. I also knew an Irish lawyer who was locked up for a few nights because he refused to pay when a moto-concho on which he was a passenger crashed into some parked bikes. Neither one of the people in question are by any stretch of the imagination criminals or delinquents.
I'm certain all of your acquaintances were innocent until proven guilty Stock

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I must live a sheltered existence. I do not have a friend or colleague that has been arrested or incarcerated. I also do not have a friend who has a neck tattoo.
I heard Tony Robbins say once "you become who you spend time with". I've heard that in various languages over the years, so most likely not a TR original. The Doms have their "tu eres con quien andas"

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I heard Tony Robbins say once "you become who you spend time with". I've heard that in various languages over the years, so most likely not a TR original. The Doms have their "tu eres con quien andas"
Close. "Dime con quien andas y te digo quien eres".:geek:

Reactions: cavok
Status
Not open for further replies.