Migracion boarding my guagua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
It does not mean any of the stories related here are fiction.
There are individuals who have proffered that idea more than one time without any proof whatsoever.
(insert the "eye roll" emoji here)

Reactions: drstock

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I heard from my friend who is one of the heavies who rounds up the Haitians that they have been told in no uncertain terms that anyone found to be accepting money will be dealt with severely. Orders from the top, they want truckloads of people going over the border now. He was making quite good coin from splitting the money they screwed out of the Haitians but he's back doing Uber now to top up his earnings.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Absolutely! and how you are dressed and who you are traveling and/or associating with. If you are loitering around at night with a sports jersey and gold chains of course you are going to peak the interest of the P.D. If you are moving with purpose and look like a professional you are literally untouchable. Like it or not we are all profiled.
Interesting that you profess to know who will be detained. My friend was getting off a guagua one morning, going to the hospital in Puerto Plata with her twelve year old son, suitably dressed for a hospital visit (not a sports jersey or gold chain in sight) when she was detained. I don't think he looked much like a tiguere. The police were kind enough to put him on a guagua to go back home by himself.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Interesting that you profess to know who will be detained. My friend was getting off a guagua one morning, going to the hospital in Puerto Plata with her twelve year old son, suitably dressed for a hospital visit (not a sports jersey or gold chain in sight) when she was detained. I don't think he looked much like a tiguere. The police were kind enough to put him on a guagua to go back home by himself.
Oh sure. It happened just like that.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Actually, they are not doing most of the arrests at night, but early in the mornings and in the afternoons when Haitians are going to and from work. My Haitian gardener has changed from starting work at 8am to 9am because the police were in his barrio picking up people who were going to work at eight. The other day, at about 5pm between Cabarete and Sosua I saw a truckload of Haitian construction workers stopped by the police. They were jumping off the truck and running in all directions to escape. They were suitably dressed for their construction work, and I didn't see a single gold chain.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Don't understand. If they felt she was illegal, wouldn't the kid be illegal by definition? I hate though that a kid saw his mom arrested.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Don't understand. If they felt she was illegal, wouldn't the kid be illegal by definition? I hate though that a kid saw his mom arrested.
Not if the father is Dominican or a legal immigrant.

Many people here are very convinced it's about skin color, yet not one has said that anyone that shouldn't be deported was deported. Everything is "I know or heard of someone who was asked for ID or arrested first and then asked for ID." If it was about skin color, why do they release them once the cédula is shown? I thought the skin color was enough to be deported. 🤔

Some do say "people that look Haitian" and it goes without question that manh dark people don't look like the typical Haitian which is associated with the "Haitian look." What about them? They too are being detained even though they don't "look Haitian" despite being dark?

Last edited:
Reactions: Big

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Many people here are very convinced it's about skin color, yet not one has said that anyone that shouldn't be deported was deported. Everything is "I know or heard of someone who was asked for ID or arrested first and then asked for ID." If it was about skin color, why do they release them once the cédula is shown? I thought the skin color was enough to be deported. 🤔

Some do say "people that look Haitian" and it goes without question that manh dark people don't look like the typical Haitian which is associated with the "Haitian look." What about them? They too are being detained even though they don't "look Haitian" despite being dark?
If it were solely based on skin color then this would make all of them victims which means they deserve our sympathy, would it not?
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't "sympathy" along with where it falls in the dictionary recently discussed in other thread?
SHM.

Reactions: Big and thompstr

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If it were solely based on skin color then this would make all of them victims which means they deserve our sympathy, would it not?
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't "sympathy" along with where it falls in the dictionary were recently discussed in other thread?
SHM.
Not only that, but so far everyone here that have claimed it's about skin color are white or at least not dark. Are there no dark members on DR1? It's a possibility, but highly unlikely. Anyone would think that if it's a color issue as some claim here, the dark ones would be the most vocal as they would not just know other darks but they too would be personally affected by this. If there are dark members, perhaps they don't have the "Haitian look?"

Reactions: CristoRey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Not only that, but so far everyone here that have claimed it's about skin color are white or at least not dark. Are there no dark members on DR1? It's a possibility, but highly unlikely. Anyone would think that if it's a color issue as some claim here, the dark ones would be the most vocal as they would not just know other darks but they too would be personally affected by this. If there are dark members, perhaps they don't have the "Haitian look?"
In all fairness, I did see a video last year of a black American being arrested by the police. I could hear his voice and there was no Haitian accent at all. He was cuffed and thrown in the back of a police pick up. That sucks when the evidence points to him not being illegal. I'm not down on profiling, because it can be very helpful, but this video was just beyond stupid. Unless of course the police/migracion were hoping for a propina.

Reactions: drstock

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
In all fairness, I did see a video last year of a black American being arrested by the police. I could hear his voice and there was no Haitian accent at all. He was cuffed and thrown in the back of a police pick up. That sucks when the evidence points to him not being illegal. I'm not down on profiling, because it can be very helpful, but this video was just beyond stupid. Unless of course the police/migracion were hoping for a propina.
Having dealt with both on multiple occasions, the PN are definitely not Immigration. Different breed.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In all fairness, I did see a video last year of a black American being arrested by the police. I could hear his voice and there was no Haitian accent at all. He was cuffed and thrown in the back of a police pick up. That sucks when the evidence points to him not being illegal.
He could be illegal, or the police would think so, if they ask for an ID and he doesn't produce one. Could be a cédula, copy of the info page of the passport, etc. Plus, black Americans includes many types people including those that are dark with the "Haitian look" and those that are dark but no "Haitian look."

I'm not down on profiling, because it can be very helpful, but this video was just beyond stupid. Unless of course the police/migracion were hoping for a propina.
It could also be simply of people going by what it seems, especially if there isn't any additional information. It happens all the time. A person may look Arab and have nothing Arab about them, but when that person is outside of his home many or most people will think he's an Arab. The same with nationalities based on what people associate as a representative look of such place (and that is always a combination of features, not just one.) Many lighter and white Dominicans in the USA can attest to how many people would confuse them with Puerto Ricans or some other place, but never the DR. That's simply human nature.

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

My Dominican friend who has been locked up on the basis of her appearance has never been deported. When some police or immigration boss arrived and checked her cedula she was released. And yes, she looks Haitian because she is of Haitian descent. However, as you may know, being locked up in a Dominican police jail for five minutes is something very unpleasant, let alone overnight.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
a Dominican agent can tell in 20 seconds if someone was born here or elsewhere via the accent. Just like I can discern an English accent from South Africa, England or Australia. This would indicate other components to an arrest of a subject.

Reactions: CristoRey

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
a Dominican agent can tell in 20 seconds if someone was born here or elsewhere via the accent. Just like I can discern an English accent from South Africa, England or Australia. This would indicate other components to an arrest of a subject.
I believe you of corse but there are Londoners who talk almost like Australians.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I believe you of corse but there are Londoners who talk almost like Australians.
you are speaking of an English working-class cockney accent, probably. Yes, it is easy to differentiate. Think N.Y accent vs Southern accent. My point is a Dominican born and raised in country, can immediately detect a Haitian speaking Spanish unless they were born, raised and schooled here. This of course would be a tool used by an immigration agent.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There is a pretty cool show on discovery channel about smugglers at international airports all over the world. The immigration agents are always catching smugglers bringing in contraband and using falsified documents. One of the tools you often hear them using is detecting accents. A Dominican entering Spain on a fake Spain passport will be detected in less than a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.