monthly payment for gardener

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Since you have money to spare for a commodity based service, how many people work for you ? Do you have multiple maids, a driver that lets you be productive instead of battling Santo Domingo traffic and drives your wife and kid to school, gym salon etc ? Do you also pay a gardener and a massage lady ?

When you do, come here and tell the rest of us how much we should be paying. I get the impression that you are a social security warrior who has never had domestic help in his life.

could you please be a dear and explain to me what the heck is a commodity based service?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The exchange of information within a conversation is better. A debate implies that there needs to be a winner. The OP was looking for suggestions for a fair monthly wage for their gardener. At this point, I think they have all the pertinent info they will receive. The rest is just chest beating and in some instances advocating for or against rapid inflation in the local economy.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
how wrong can you be

Since you have money to spare for a commodity based service, how many people work for you ? Do you have multiple maids, a driver that lets you be productive instead of battling Santo Domingo traffic and drives your wife and kid to school, gym salon etc ? Do you also pay a gardener and a massage lady ?

When you do, come here and tell the rest of us how much we should be paying. I get the impression that you are a social security warrior who has never had domestic help in his life.

Although it is absolutely none of your business how many domestic servants I have , I will advise you that I have a maid and a cook and a gardener . I am retired .The staff do not live in. They each receive around US $ 6000 per annum ..I would not dream of paying less . I have complete confidence in each .
Each one of you can pay as you wish but I was responding to the original question and suggest he pays 20 000 pesos each month ..He will be happy that he is looking after his gardener and his gardener will also be happy .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am not going to respond further . I have gained a good insight into the character of the writers here and can provide no further view nor information on the subject

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I get it too... moral superiority from people that can afford it. If the price of domestic help continues to go up it will be a major problem for middle class people. Imagine the sacrifices struggling dual income families would have if they had to pay 20 k a month.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I get it too... moral superiority from people that can afford it. If the price of domestic help continues to go up it will be a major problem for middle class people. Imagine the sacrifices struggling dual income families would have if they had to pay 20 k a month.

Let s see...They might just end up like middle class people in other places who don't have full time domestic help.

It s hard, very hard, very hard, many many commited suicide when they had to let go of their last maid :D

But, I am with you , no need to overpay.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Let s see...They might just end up like middle class people in other places who don't have full time domestic help.

It s hard, very hard, very hard, many many commited suicide when they had to let go of their last maid :D

I am with you though, no need to overpay.

I hear you BUT....... unless education standards in DR change dramatically, these women and men employed domestically may find themselves unemployed if families can no longer afford to pay them, feed them and provide living quarters. 

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I hear you BUT....... unless education standards in DR change dramatically, these women and men employed domestically may find themselves unemployed if families can no longer afford to pay them, feed them and provide living quarters. 

I hear you too AE :bunny:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010

But, I am with you , no need to overpay.

Anybody who says that doesn't understand life there. If you work in a semi professional and up setting you need to be immaculate in your grooming and appearance. Traffic and hours of work are horrendous so you get home late more often then not. You also have to work Saturdays and will have family/religious obligations on Sundays. There is no free time for most serious, urban people. The low wages for domestic workers maintain a way of life for people that have worked very hard to get where they are.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Anybody who says that doesn't understand life there. If you work in a semi professional and up setting you need to be immaculate in your grooming and appearance. Traffic and hours of work are horrendous so you get home late more often then not. You also have to work Saturdays and will have family/religious obligations on Sundays. There is no free time for most serious, urban people. The low wages for domestic workers maintain a way of life for people that have worked very hard to get where they are.

Human adapt to any situations. What you just described could be said anywhere. Urban professionals are professionals anywhere in the world and they don't have much free time. I know people who work 60 hours a week and look immaculate as well in the US, yet they don't have full time domestic workers.

I have myself a cleaning lady ($ 25 /hour :bored:), so she works once a week and deep clean the house and the rest (O THE HORROR) I do it myself. Heck, my kids even clean their rooms (call child services ! :D). And, yes, I get home rather late and and I am out of the house by 8 am in suit, make up and high heels :smoke:

Low wages domestic worker is not a matter of maintaining of lifestyle, it is a reflection of a developing economy.

If the going rate is 10 k a month, that is what they should get. The same way, I pay my after school sitter $15/hr, because that is the prevailing rate in MY area. Similarly, I have had someone who work for me while I am in the DR, I don't pay her as much because I can.