More Man Food: CB?s Chili

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Looks like mine too..........mmmmmmmmm love chili.....with some white rice or corn chips....

and the Presidente grande, to sip while you cooking it, excellent idea!!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Wow! That looks awesome!

IMO, the ground beef thing goes along with the basic quality of the beef in the country. That is why I get a very course grind.

Will you adopt the recipe for future use?

Definitely!

Yeah I was thinking that maybe DR's 80% lean ground beef is about 60% in the States so I may have to compensate for the next one. Actually it was my wife who is a Chef in one the Resorts here who prepared the meal. Still licking my fingers, the only difference is that we added about 50% more quantity of the seasoning listed in your recipe.

Bob sadly I had to use Heineken as Presidente is non-existent on these lands.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Where do you find chili powder at? I tried the Sirena, Jumbo, Bravo, none of them had it.

Thanks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah I was thinking that maybe DR's 80% lean ground beef is about 60% in the States so I may have to compensate for the next one.
In my experience it's the grind that matters a lot. Try the 80%, but make sure it's coarse ground. Or, even better, find a nice piece of center chuck, or a pound of chuck eye, and have the butcher coarse grind that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is a Dominican brand called Oriente that has pimineta cayena and I have bought a Spanish brand of pimenton picante. The cayena is pretty hot and the pimenton not so much unless you add a whole lot.

I also top mine with cheese or sour cream but the avocados really look good. The only real differences in my recipe are I add canned corn and I don't add beer nor cider but will try it next time.

As far as the meat goes, if the fat isn't really noticeable I'll go for the cheaper one.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Might be worth a shot........

Definitely!

Yeah I was thinking that maybe DR's 80% lean ground beef is about 60% in the States so I may have to compensate for the next one. Actually it was my wife who is a Chef in one the Resorts here who prepared the meal. Still licking my fingers, the only difference is that we added about 50% more quantity of the seasoning listed in your recipe.

Bob sadly I had to use Heineken as Presidente is non-existent on these lands.

Was told this place has a huge selection of Beer, they might have it......

Lee's Discount Liquor

Your chili looked good......

Nice presentation......

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Where do you find chili powder at? I tried the Sirena, Jumbo, Bravo, none of them had it.

Thanks.

Right now I have Carmencita brand Cayena Molida and Food Club brand Ground Cayenne Pepper. They're the same thing and both from the Supermercado Nacional.

Cayena is hot, hot, hot.

Reactions: mike l

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Was told this place has a huge selection of Beer, they might have it......

Lee's Discount Liquor

Your chili looked good......

Nice presentation......

I stock up on Lee's every weekend, they already know me by name. No Presidente :(. Not even Brugal, but you can get Brugal in the Mariana's Supermarket (latino oriented supermarket).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Right now I have Carmencita brand Cayena Molida and Food Club brand Ground Cayenne Pepper. They're the same thing and both from the Supermercado Nacional.

Cayena is hot, hot, hot.
Chili powder and cayenne pepper are NOT the same! Chili powder also contains some milder peppers, oregano, garlic powder, salt and some cumin!

If you use pure cayenne pepper it will be VERY hot and not have the same flavor!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
amongst other spices, I use 2 tbsp chilli powder, 1tbsp cayenne, 2 tbsp crushed red peppers, and 4 chopped fresh habenero peppers......tastes great, if you like it spicy....1 lb ground beef, 1 lb red beans (soaked overnight), 2 big cans of tomatoes and fresh peppers, onions and garlic.....

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Have you tried Supermercado Nacional? That would be my guess...

I ended up making my chili powder, from a simple recipe found online:

* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder

After adding them all together, I only added 5tbs of the total mix to the chili, would of added more (love spicy food) however most here don't like very spicy food.

Thanks for the recipe for chili, it was awesome, and was nice to have a different dish, and my friends here love it too!

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Looks like a pretty good recipe. Except for the beans. I grew up in Texas and we don't do beans in our chili. But I could see using them if you're trying to make the chili stretch for a while.

Thanks for the recipe.

Vince.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Maybe so
ive been in Texas going on 20y and all my chili eating in various places had kidney beans in it,specially the Rodeo Chili Cook Off
Manu

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Maybe so
ive been in Texas going on 20y and all my chili eating in various places had kidney beans in it,specially the Rodeo Chili Cook Off
Manu

Well in the few chili contests I've attended, adding beans to your chili gets you disqualified because they're considered filler in those parts. And most traditional Texas chili recipes don't include them. In fact, they're pretty simple. Meat, a spice mix, onions, garlic, lots and lots of peppers, and whatever is used to thicken the mixture.

Texans eat a lot of beans, mostly because of the Mexican influence in the cuisine. Just not in the chili.;) First time I had chili with beans was when I moved to the northeast and ate what passes for chili here. And unfortunately, the only canned chili I can stomach is Wolf Brand (only when I'm desperate). Which they don't sell up here.

However, I did find a store online that sells it for $60+ a case.:confused:

Vince.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_63NiTENw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_63NiTENw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
As he says there are as many receipes as there are Texans.