More Man Food: CB?s Chili

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Looks like a pretty good recipe. Except for the beans. I grew up in Texas and we don't do beans in our chili. But I could see using them if you're trying to make the chili stretch for a while.

Thanks for the recipe.

Vince.
De nada...

I love Texas and Texans (for the most part.) But like a few other foods, chili is somewhat regional. I understand the beans thing. I just prefer mine with beans, big fat kidney beans.

Here's an example of regionality: BBQ. To Texans the word is a verb and usually involves beef brisket. To other southerners (such as *moi*), BBQ is a noun. But that's just the start. In Memphis and surrounds BBQ is dry, ALWAYS pork butt, and served on white bread with cole slaw; you add the sauce if'n you want. Where I come from in Atlanta, BBQ is pork or chicken and a sweet 'n spicy tomato sauce is basted to the outside to make a sweet crust. In the Carolinas, BBQ is pork and a mustard/vinegar sauce is used (never was super fond of Carolina BBQ, but opinions vary...)

Clam chowder is another. NE and Manhattan. Wars have been fought over less.

Ribs: Memphis and surrounds are pork and dry (such as at the very famous Rendezvous or at any of the Beale Street rib shacks. We did pork bastesd with BBQ sauce. Texans do a lot of beef ribs.

But, really, I like them all, even Carolina BBQ.

So, yes, (CB) chili has beans. Shall we duel?:cheeky:

So, yes, to a dyed-in-the-wool Texan

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
De nada...

I love Texas and Texans (for the most part.) But like a few other foods, chili is somewhat regional. I understand the beans thing. I just prefer mine with beans, big fat kidney beans.

Here's an example of regionality: BBQ. To Texans the word is a verb and usually involves beef brisket. To other southerners (such as *moi*), BBQ is a noun. But that's just the start. In Memphis and surrounds BBQ is dry, ALWAYS pork butt, and served on white bread with cole slaw; you add the sauce if'n you want. Where I come from in Atlanta, BBQ is pork or chicken and a sweet 'n spicy tomato sauce is basted to the outside to make a sweet crust. In the Carolinas, BBQ is pork and a mustard/vinegar sauce is used (never was super fond of Carolina BBQ, but opinions vary...)

Clam chowder is another. NE and Manhattan. Wars have been fought over less.

Ribs: Memphis and surrounds are pork and dry (such as at the very famous Rendezvous or at any of the Beale Street rib shacks. We did pork bastesd with BBQ sauce. Texans do a lot of beef ribs.

But, really, I like them all, even Carolina BBQ.

So, yes, (CB) chili has beans. Shall we duel?:cheeky:

So, yes, to a dyed-in-the-wool Texan

Well said. And thanks again for the recipe.

Now I'm hungry.

Vince.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm almost afraid to mention I add THREE kinds of beans to my chili.. kidney, red, and pinto, and I use ketchup and tomato sauce instead of stewed tomatoes.

Jeez, so many new recipes to test...

Lazyman's chili - use Pace Picante sauce (chunky) You got the tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic...etc already mixed. Ketchup is too sweet.

May 29, 2006
Check in the Asian section for Kim Chi Base for making chili if you can't find the powder. It has a nice heat and A LOT of garlic. Some cumin will balance it out. It comes in a jar like this:

12026450-kimchee-base-lg.jpg

It's also nice for seasoning taco/burrito meat.

I use Canelli, Kidney(or Dominican Red) and Black Beans in my chili:
3 cans Kidney
2 cans Black
1 can Canelli
2 cans Dice Tom
about a pound of meat, some onions, peppers and other goodies...

The three beans add some color.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did both chili and wings. i am afraid to admit i eliminated cumin - i hate it. and for wings i made bbq sause instead of chili, i was just working with whatever i had in a pantry. wings were wiped out off the face of the earth within minutes :)

pucca

Mar 30, 2010
Darn it, its my fault that im starving for watching this at 12 34 am lol but you sure gave me the way to un-starve wow! Props