Most prevalent scams that newbies to DR (Sosua specifically) could fall for?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have a feeling you will not enjoy your visit to the DR a lot because you are so worried about scams and want to know every small detail...live a little and relax, you only live once!
Just my 2 cents...

not everybody was built to leave home. i once went to the airport to pick up a guy who was making his first trip to the DR. on the way back to the hotel, he wanted to stop at Wendy's. he was miserable for 4 days, because i refused to go hunting down American franchises in Santo Dgo for everything he wanted.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bunch of 'Know-It-Alls' here

The latest scam ????

Not on the street yet..... new ones all the time .....

BronxBoy... cue me in

I was working in the lab late one night
when my eyes beheld an eerie sight....

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
IMO don't overthink your trip...be smart, use common sense, if it sounds to good to be true it is. Just enjoy your vacation...

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Just relax. Worst that can happen is you wake up in a bathtub full of ice with a kidney missing. :)

But in all seriousness. The biggest scams don't start until your back home. Papi, my baby is sick ect... don't be that guy!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Avoid all English speaking Dominicans who approach you on the beach
or in the center of town and remember.. nothing good happens anywhere
after midnight.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Come on guys, how the tigres are going to make a living in this town if you reveal all their scams.... !

Live and learn - as long as you make sure you live...

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
Thank you to everybody who gave advice. I even appreciated the cheeky ones :p. It sounds like the scams aren't as bad as I first assumed. At the very least, none of the scams sound dangerous, so at the end of the day, I'll just be out a few more $ that will probably be worth it for that hot dominican boot...sand at the beaches.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Sounds to me,all your looking for are the ladies of the night.You might learn to walk before you run.Have you checked out Blackbeards in Costambar?Learn some Spanish,never go out with a lot of cash in your pocket.In your room,if you dont want it stolen,lock it up.Stay away from any drugs,girls 18 and up.Dont get so drunk you cant walk.Changing money,find the cage as we call it in Orange phone plaza.never pull out money on the street.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
One note,a poster said something about Santiago Airport. At the airport all rates areposted,also at the taxi booth,you can get a card with all rates posted.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
One note,a poster said something about Santiago Airport. At the airport all rates areposted,also at the taxi booth,you can get a card with all rates posted.

Does not mean squat .. they all start at $25, then immediately drop to $20 when they see you will not pay it .. then drop to $18, then drop to the real price which is 700.. and if you know how to do it , you get it for even less..
Posted prices mean NOTHING...they size you up and charge accordingly..
NOT EVEN A BEER is a Set price .. I have seen groups paying 300 pesos each or $6 US for BEER just outside STI...

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Don't walk on the beach at night if your drunk. It won't end well if your alone. Don't do any drugs here. Otherwise you'll be staying here for 10 years and it won't be fun. Just be careful. Try not to do dumb stuff. I know your on vac. Be safe and have a great time.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi, I am planning a trip next year to Sosua and I was wondering if anyone could share what they believe to be the most prevalent scams that perhaps a newbie to the DR may be susceptible? I have heard unfortunate scams ranging from the relatively tame and harmless tourist (gringo) prices, Uber scams due to the power taxi mob, and then several deposit scams for those who rent properties during their stay in DR. Would love to hear any suggestions on what to look for and how to handle yourself if you're caught in a scam. Also, are scams from officers a thing in the DR?

these are my managment strategies/not scams
if it walks like a duck
if it smells like a duck
and if it quacks like a duck
then its a F@?K1NG DUCK

minimise all dealings with local people and foreigners alike
minimise all business dealings
do not entrust locals with your money, ever
if you are buying property, then arrive at the lawyer office of the SELLER, and the BOTH of them are DOMINICAN then take your partner by the hand and walk out before these ducks bend you over a fence and teach you how to F@@K like a DUCK.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RamJet was asking for directions to dance classes ... all sorts of activities involving interaction w/ locals

He may have been bitten (not smitten) since then and is now in hibernation....

He was a social butterfly not long ago

Bitten by Body lice ?.. what we all know and love as 'crabs'.....who knows ??

Jul 28, 2014
prices from POP airport can be seen here:

i believe they did not change and anyways, they are clearly displayed in front of the taxi stand. do not tip the driver. he's already skinning your left testicle by overcharging.
from STI airport take uber, it works pretty well in santiago area.

as far as the scams go, no different here than in other tourist destinations. trust your guts: if you think something is a scam - walk away. easy peasy.

Or the OP can walk up to the highway, and jump in a Guagua for 50 pesos

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
But in all seriousness...

Last bit of advice..
Be sure to avoid any interaction with the police at all cost. They are
absolute scumbags (as they are in most countries) and can easily turn
YOUR vacation into a nightmare.