Most prevalent scams that newbies to DR (Sosua specifically) could fall for?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
some of them work with other people, if they have a couple in the car they will stop to pick up the people they are working with and put them in the bacck seat with the intended targets and start fooling around to distract you. yrs. ago that happened to me and my wife, i caught the SOB with two fingers in my pocket, got him in a headlock and told the wife to get the cops which wouldn't do. So i had her count the money before I let him go, i asked her why she didn't get the cops, she said she didn't want to spend the day in the cop shop.On another occasion they did get my wife for 3 thousand pesos, the guy sitting next to her started sneezing to distract her while he picked her purse.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
because they don't drive you three miles and let you out, now when i'm in stg i only take cabs .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
some of them work with other people, if they have a couple in the car they will stop to pick up the people they are working with and put them in the bacck seat with the intended targets and start fooling around to distract you. yrs. ago that happened to me and my wife, i caught the SOB with two fingers in my pocket, got him in a headlock and told the wife to get the cops which wouldn't do. So i had her count the money before I let him go, i asked her why she didn't get the cops, she said she didn't want to spend the day in the cop shop.On another occasion they did get my wife for 3 thousand pesos, the guy sitting next to her started sneezing to distract her while he picked her purse.

Ridden them hundreds of times never had a problem.
When in Rome...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Use common sense - if you have it. Keep your expensive stuff at home. Don't give your passport to anyone. Don't rent a car if you don't know the roads and driving conditions. If you must take a motoconcho, stay only on local streets. Don't ever take one on the main roads from town to town.

Don't carry any more money than you need for the time you'll be out. If you have time, get a prepaid card or a bank card not attached to any of your other accounts, and pull money from there.

Stay away from drugs, kids, tigres, and expats who want to tell you what "experts" they are on everything - oh, and can you spot them a beer?

Expect to pay a bit more than back home - you're on vacation, stuff happens.

Drink twice as much (bottled) water as anything else you have. It's a hot climate, and dehydration is real.

You're going to Sosua, which means you'll probably be looking for chicas. Use protection EACH AND EVERY TIME, and agree to a price up front. Do NOT get into fights over money, you will always lose.

That said, there's a whole lot more to do on the North Coast than monger. Get out, explore. Do some excursions. It's a big, beautiful country.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If you're gonna drink, keep it with you at all times, unless you're with someone that you trust implicitly (spouse who actually likes you, ride-or-die friend, etc.) That goes for men and women.

If you spend your entire trip trying to save two pennies and keep from getting "scammed," you will have a miserable time.

Established restaurants MAY cook with filtered water. I'd check first before ordering anything raw (like a salad). Anything you get from a stand or shack that's rinsed should be fully cooked.

Keep in mind that the exchange rate is about 50 pesos to the US dollar. If you find yourself arguing over two hundred pesos for an hour, you just valued your VACATION time at $4/hr. It ain't that serious, and you should really consider letting the piddly stuff go.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
These are not scams but it is important to pay attention to potholes on the sidewalks and make sure to dodge motos when crossing the street.