Motorcycle Registration

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If you weren’t in Rep Dom….. yes you could

my hunch is it it will be treated as a moto
If I am speaking or writing in English, I "normally" say police. I normally would not translate one word in the sentence into epany, unless that word has no equivalent. But I appreciate your command of the language!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
INTRANT would be the place to get the information on licensing for Quads.
Just like it is for Motorcyles and Scooters.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
here's a bit more - posted elsewhere --- in English Magoo
========================================

This may open a hornets nest for all those illegally here and overstaying and driving motos or cars:

INTRANT says it is working on protocol so that foreigners can register their motorcycles

https://noticiassin.com/pais/intrant-di … as-1304612

Earlier, a foreigner expressed his concern through our WhatsApp, because he still cannot register, and he fears being inspected by the Digesett.

The National Institute of Traffic and Land Transportation (INTRANT) reported this Wednesday that together with the Ministry of the Interior and Police it is working to establish the protocol so that foreigners residing in the country can register their motorcycles.

Concern of foreign residents

Precisely this morning, a person expressed his concern through our WhatsApp of complaints , because being a foreigner he still cannot register, for which he fears being fined and inspected by Digesett agents

"The INTRANT says that foreigners cannot register, because they do not have a Dominican identity card, so what are they going to do with us, the amet since they stop you is the license that they ask for, there are many of us, there are some who are messengers, delivery, motorcycle taxi , some for personal use, in my case it is the transport of my daughters to school, then I continue to my work " , the individual explained to Noticias SIN .

Intrant are part of the Ministry of Interior and Police ands so is DGM.........wait and see.......

Every person living here legally should be able to get a Dominican driving license either when they get their cedula as a resident or as a work permit holder. The only protocol needed is for short stay tourists using their foreign license whilst legally here.

And

He added that he had a meeting with the director of INTRANT and explained to him that they were looking for the database in Immigration or in the Interior and Police

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm guessing this is going to have an impact on those rich kids with the performance bikes. A lot of these bikes are brought over in crates, in pieces. Reassembled and put on the road without any papers.

Just found a very nice Yamaha R1 going for a song on FB marketplace.

Having used to own a Honda CBR in the UK, I always had an itch I wanted to scratch and get another sports bike over here. Seeing the Santiago bikers group race around on Sundays used to make me quite envious. I would always scour the online ads for them. The sensible part of me took over and I gave up the idea of a sports bike and I bought quad bike instead.

Hence my previous question. No one seems to have a definitive answer yet. A riding buddy of mine with a quad sent a message via the INTRANT chat portal and still hasn't had an answer yet.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Precisely this morning, a person expressed his concern through our WhatsApp of complaints , because being a foreigner he still cannot register, for which he fears being fined and inspected by Digesett agents

"The INTRANT says that foreigners cannot register, because they do not have a Dominican identity card, so what are they going to do with us, the amet since they stop you is the license that they ask for, there are many of us, there are some who are messengers, delivery, motorcycle taxi , some for personal use, in my case it is the transport of my daughters to school, then I continue to my work " , the individual explained to Noticias SIN .

Intrant are part of the Ministry of Interior and Police ands so is DGM.........wait and see.......

Every person living here legally should be able to get a Dominican driving license either when they get their cedula as a resident or as a work permit holder. The only protocol needed is for short stay tourists using their foreign license whilst legally here.

And

He added that he had a meeting with the director of INTRANT and explained to him that they were looking for the database in Immigration or in the Interior and Police
In that person's case I'd say it's time to get residency. All legal residents can get a drivers license. Tourists who overstay are not here here legally.

Reactions: windeguy

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
here's a bit more - posted elsewhere --- in English Magoo
========================================

This may open a hornets nest for all those illegally here and overstaying and driving motos or cars:

INTRANT says it is working on protocol so that foreigners can register their motorcycles

https://noticiassin.com/pais/intrant-di … as-1304612

Earlier, a foreigner expressed his concern through our WhatsApp, because he still cannot register, and he fears being inspected by the Digesett.

The National Institute of Traffic and Land Transportation (INTRANT) reported this Wednesday that together with the Ministry of the Interior and Police it is working to establish the protocol so that foreigners residing in the country can register their motorcycles.

Concern of foreign residents

And

It just seems like this should be very clear. You need a cedula and driver license or motorcycle license. Period. Overstayers on bike and in cars: not acceptable. As the article mentions, only foreign license acceptable while here during legit stay/visa period.

Reactions: JD Jones and cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It just seems like this should be very clear. You need a cedula and driver license or motorcycle license. Period. Overstayers on bike and in cars: not acceptable. As the article mentions, only foreign license acceptable while here during legit stay/visa period.
As always, everything is geared towards foreigners doing what they should be doing if they are going to be long term residents.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From the other site
==================================================

Quads are indeed classified along with motorcycles as is defined in Decree 256-20 (2020)

REGULATION OF USE AND TRANSPORTATION IN MOTORCYCLES, BICYCLES
AND OTHER PERSONAL MOBILITY VEHICLES

https://www.intrant.gob.do/transparenci … P%20GO.pdf

You will need a Class 1 license.

It may shock people but rules for driving motorcycles including quads were only properly detailed less than 2 years ago! No wonder the chaos we see daily in the riding of such vehicles.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
From the other site
==================================================

Quads are indeed classified along with motorcycles as is defined in Decree 256-20 (2020)

REGULATION OF USE AND TRANSPORTATION IN MOTORCYCLES, BICYCLES
AND OTHER PERSONAL MOBILITY VEHICLES

https://www.intrant.gob.do/transparenci … P%20GO.pdf

You will need a Class 1 license.

It may shock people but rules for driving motorcycles including quads were only properly detailed less than 2 years ago! No wonder the chaos we see daily in the riding of such vehicles.
Cheers WW. It seems bicycles falls under that law too, which is absurd!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cheers WW. It seems bicycles falls under that law too, which is absurd!
No doubt about that.

At least the correct law was found that shows four wheelers need a motorcycle license. Does that present an issue in your situation?

Feb 7, 2007
There is a constitutional injunction being heard by the TSA court this morning, filed by a group of citizens and which was joined in by the Office of the Defender of People, against the INTRANT under claims that some of the provisions of INTRANT order are in violation of the Law of Mobility (The Defender of the People is the guy who got beaten up by DIGESETT a few months back), so we will see how this goes.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a constitutional injunction being heard by the TSA court this morning, filed by a group of citizens and which was joined in by the Office of the Defender of People, against the INTRANT under claims that some of the provisions of INTRANT order are in violation of the Law of Mobility (The Defender of the People is the guy who got beaten up by DIGESETT a few months back), so we will see how this goes.
I suspect it will go badly. But we will see.

And those golf carts in Sosua? Motorcycle license and registration for them as well?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
No doubt about that.

At least the correct law was found that shows four wheelers need a motorcycle license. Does that present an issue in your situation?
Well I have a Dominican Driver's licence to drive a car. One would assume that I would be suitably licensed to drive my quad, which is legally here (ie registered in my name, valid placa and insurance)

But maybe I'll need a separate motorcycle licence for my quad. I dunno?

I'm also not sure about helmet requirements for a quad. I always use one regardless if it's mandatory or not. It's the old biker in me, I feel naked riding a bike (two or four wheels) without one. But it would be nice to know the exact legal requirement. The local cops/AMET/DIGEST don't know. Ask three different cops, get three different answers!