Motorcycles with no lights at night!!!

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I have seen a motoconcho texting, eating an empanada, with someone in the backseat all at the same time! No hands on the handle bars... jajaja k loko!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They take off the mirrors also.

Sheer genius.

In a sport where being seen is survival, they want to go stealth.

And one wonders why moto accidents are the #1 cause of death and injury to Dominican males under 25??????

I wrote before about driving back to Jarabacoa from Santiago on the autopista one Sunday evening, pitch dark, in a good rain. The road was fairly empty and we were crawling along at 35mph, a not-overly fast pace for the conditions, in the left lane. Suddenly it dawned on me I was about to run over a pasola going maybe 5-10mph. Black 50cc Pasola, maybe a Jog. Three people on it, all wearing black shirts and dark/wet jeans. No lights. No helmet. Nothing reflective. In the middle of the lane. Totally unaware of me being there. That's the closest i've come to killing 3 Dominicans.
I know the feeling. Hope you have better luck next time. 3 at once would give you bragging rights. ;)

mandymeme

May 28, 2011
All that is needed is a country wide public service announcement......:)
But.....education is the answer.
We all know that's not going to happen....so if you drive at night......turn on your bright lights...you'll be able to see better.
What about the people who sit on the side of the road in the middle of the night, laying back with their hands in the middle of the road.......people dont think.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Some of the gas saving methods are not even worth it.. Turning the bike off down hill will not save you huge amonts... All they have to do is let it ride in neutral...

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Unaware?
I see it differently.
When a Dominican gets on the road others simply do not exist.
Should you dare to take part in the traffic near him/her you have to deal with the consequences.

donP

Bingo !
After about 2 years you learn to pay attention 100% of the time, Do not drive at night, Buy the brightest headlights that you can and take a Co-pilot to watch for the motos sin luz.
Hit them , its gonna be your fault .

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
A few Weeks ago in Licey I saw a child maybe 3 years old , on the BACK of an old motorcycle , no Helmet , a very overweight man driving (maybe dear old dad) , the child holding on AND ASLEEP , I tried to stop and tell him but as I braked they turned off the highway and down a side street. We were terrified the child would fall off.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
All BS, so now if I drive at night and run over some motorcyclist without any lights whatsoever, it becomes my FAULT!!

If I run over a freakin COW at night in the middle of the road with an owner's brand they look for the cow's owner to have him ARRESTED, plus I get free beef on the spot!!!!!!! Where's the logic?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
! Where's the logic?

"jojo2130 Spits coffee out all over keyboard "

This is the Logic ,

1/. Its your fault cause you are in the country, If you weren't here, it wouldn't have happened
2/. Its your fault because you have more money and can pay and he can't.
3/. Its your fault because you should have know that there are motorcycles on the road, at night without lights and the drivers driving drunk and swerving to miss a pothole while watching the sexy chica doing the mating dance at the colamdo
and mixing their rum on the back of the motorcycle while doing a wheelie.
4/. and they are Dominican and have the right to be there. Just because.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
My favorites are the ones on the right side of the road coming in the opposite direction with no lights and with young a woman on the back with a child in one hand and a phone in the other.

Unfortunately, I have to drive at night. When I first got here, I complained and yelled about the drivers. I especially thought how horrible it was to hit someone and drive off without knowing whether they were hurt or not. Now, my thinking is, if they are stupid enough to drive at night without lights and get in my way, it is natural selection at work, and if I hit one, I'm getting out of there as fast as I can.

Every once in a while, I think how much money I can save on gas by driving a motorcycle. Then I see someone without a leg, or in crutches, or a funeral procession, and I think that it is not a good idea for me.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
"jojo2130 Spits coffee out all over keyboard "

This is the Logic ,

1/. Its your fault cause you are in the country, If you weren't here, it wouldn't have happened
3/. Its your fault because you should have know that there are motorcycles on the road, at night without lights and the drivers driving drunk and swerving to miss a pothole while watching the sexy chica doing the mating dance at the colamdo
4/. and they are Dominican and have the right to be there. Just because.

It has nothing to do with with point 1 or 4. This is a traffic violation that must be enforced.

As stupid and moronic their behavior is, the person operating the bigger machine bears a greater responsibilities than those by foot, bicycle or motorcycle.

Drivers always yield to pedestrians even if pedestrians do not have the rightaway.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
"jojo2130 spits coffee out all over keyboard "

this is the logic ,

1/. Its your fault cause you are in the country, if you weren't here, it wouldn't have happened
again, pure bs!!
Bs!!!!!!!
Bs!!!!!
4/. And they are dominican and have the right to be there. Just because.

even more bs!!!!!!!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
It has nothing to do with with point 1 or 4. This is a traffic violation that must be enforced.

As stupid and moronic their behavior is, the person operating the bigger machine bears a greater responsibilities than those by foot, bicycle or motorcycle.

Drivers always yield to pedestrians even if pedestrians do not have the rightaway.

I rest my case!!!!!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
JDJones:
Your biggest enemy is driving fast. Drive fast, or even kinda fast, and eventually, you'll probably hit someone on a motorcycle.

The slower you drive, the higher the probability is that you'll make it where you're going.

Speed kills.

I am fortunate in that I drive the same stretch of road, so I know where to slow down. At one point, the super colmado is located right next to the straight stretch on the autopista, and several young men have already died there. Last week, I almost had an obviously drunk pedestrian step out in front of me, but since I knew where I was and knew it was Saturday night, I was able to avert an accident.

On roads that I do not know, I do tend to slow down, especially in approaching a populated area.

nas:

That's the way it should work, and actually does in some countries, but not here. And it might also be pointed out that motorcycle drivers do not seem to follow the rules of the road. If going the wrong way on a one-way street is quicker, they will.

And the worse offenders of not yielding, in my experience, has been drivers of dump trucks and Caribe buses.

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm always amazed at how people are unaware of a common genetic trait that we Dominicans possess. Still. i will try explaining it here in a language that everyone understands, but please bare with me for a few minutes while i give everyone the background of a commonly misunderstood trait that we Dominicans pride ourselves on.

We Dominicans are from the Kingdom Animilia; are Phylum is Chordata; our Class is Mammalia; our Sublegion is Zatheria; our infralegion is Tribosphenida; and our Sublass is Theria. For those of you who do not recognize what this means...i'll sum it up in one simple word: "Marsupial". Yes, we dominicans our a sublclass of Marsupials. Darwin knew this but his papers were loss at sea and the powers that be at the time felt this was heresay and threathed to burn anyone at the stake if they so much as uttered the unthinkable: Dominicans are a Mammalia hybrid. Fortunately, this gentic trait both enables us, as well as empowers us to see at night without the aid of light.

What this means is that we possess the power, despite all evidence to the contrary (many drive with their brights on...i'll explain that later), we're able to see at night with virtually no aid of artificial illumunation whatsoever... except for the little light that stars or moon provides. Dominicans are an infra-class of mammals. Basically, this means that we're characterized by giving birth to relatively undeveloped young (we dangle our babies with fishing poles over mountain passes and congested roads in an effort to train them).

Close to 70% of all Marsupials occur in Australia, New Guinea, and nearby islands. but don't let that fool you, we Dominicans are a subset of Mammals that, thru millions of years of evolution, have developed into a class of nocturnal breeding mammals that have won many of the highly sought after, much coveted "Darwin Awards" that are given out annually after much debate. I'm not kidding you. Dominicans have won many, many "Darwin Awards" for our ingenuity of finding infinite ways to take ourselves out of the gene pool. But i'm digressing right now, i apologize, let me get back to the unique Dominican ability to drive at night without aid of lights.

A little history: Going back to 1492, Christopher Columbus landed here and discovered that Tainao's--descendants of the Arowaks and Caribs--were already living here and doing fine without the maurading Spanish. At first, the Spanish--notorious for their bad night vision and terrible taste in women--chased the Taino's around the island in much the same way that's done today in Sosua and Boca Chica. Yes, yes, the Spanish were good at pillaging and plundering and raping, but, listen, we all know that; what the Spanish didn't realize was that, coming from Southern Europe, they were accustomed to the aid of candle light at night. they had access to wax and rudementary filaments. The Taino's had no such aids. This in turn allowed them to navigate in total darkness, without the aid of light, as they sought each other out late at night for some hanky-panky; hence the modern day equivelant: Sanky-Panky. Little did the Spanish realize, was that the Taino's, thru thousands of years of Evolution, developed the genetic trait shared by all Marsupials to this day which allows them to navigate at night without the aid of modern day inventions--some of which you'll recognize as headlights, flashlights, brake lights, and glow-in-the-dark condoms (a visual aid used on other islands in the Meditterrean where they notriously have bad vision and bad taste in women).

Anyway, Marsupials and Placental mammals split from the monotremes during the Crustaceous Period. in the absence of soft tissue, such as the pouch and reproductive system, fossil marsupials can be distinguished from Placentals by the for of their teeth; primitive marsupials possess four pairs of molar teeth in each jaw; whereas Placental mammals never have more than three pairs. now do yourself a favor, find the nearest Dominican in your proximity (knock on your neighbors door right now) and ask them to open their mouthes and then count their molars. This will confirm the Marsupial genetic trait that they we Dominicans possess, and which allows us the unique gift of both navigating at night and finding your wallet, car keys, hair spray and cell phones in total darkness.

Frank

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
So the absense of lights can be somewhat justified, using hmm "dominican logic"... What about no one wearing helmets, whether they are enforced or not? - generally reckless attitude or pure stupidity?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'm always ... cell phones in total darkness.

Frank

Hilarious, especially that part about Spaniards on the north coast nowadays.

This is what I love most about Dominicans: ability to laugh at anything, including themselves.

Can't wait to hear your explanation on lack of helmets.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I know the riders in D.R. are notorious for not wearing helmets, (along with lack of headlights, etc.); but with regard to the helmets, they are not alone. In my area, the majority of riders are not wearing brain buckets either; and they are not riding little 125cc motos going 30 miles per hour... they are mostly riding cycles 1000 cc and up, or high performance sport bikes and are blazing along at highway speeds. An accident on a big bike at 60 mph and up can really ruin your day.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
the point wasn't who can kill themselves faster... the point is that there are idiots EVERYWHERE, not just the D.R.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What do you call a motorcyclist who doesn't wear a helmet?

"Organ Donor"

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
This guy crashed his bike into a huge tractor trailer and bike parts were mixed with human parts. There was so much speed that it looked like grinded meat. No organs could be saved from that guy! Too sad