Moving back to DR (north coast) when I retire: do or don't

ABSDR

Apr 24, 2024
Samana
Hey, I do agree with you about what you just say about Samana, DR the water and electricity is a big problem. i stay there for one month and there. there wasn't water for 27 consecutive days. the city must understand the need to have water at the water is a base service, also the electricity too! Mr. President, We need to have water for cooking, bath and washing clothes. Water for Arroyobarril, SamanaDR

ABSDR

Apr 24, 2024
Samana
Hey, I do agree with you about what you just say about Samana, DR the water and electricity is a big problem. i stay there for one month and there. there wasn't water for 27 consecutive days. the city must understand the need to have water at the water is a base service, also the electricity too! Mr. President, We need to have water for cooking, bath and washing clothes. Water for Arroyobarril, SamanaDR
Hey, I do agree with you about what you just say about Samana, DR the water and electricity is a big problem i Arroyo Barril, Samana Dom Rep. I had stayed there for one month and there wasn't water for 27 consecutive days. The city must understand that people Must have water. The water and the electricity are base services Mr. President, we need to have water for cooking, bath and washing clothes. Water for Arroyo Barril, Samana, Dom Rep.

ABSDR

Apr 24, 2024
Samana
It will be nice to live in Samana, however, we will need water every day, I am willing to pay for the service, but I need to have the service everyday please!

Samana is one of the beautiful places in Latinoamerica, but we need water everyday please

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Don't tinacos exist in La Terrenas? You fill them when there is water?

ABSDR

Apr 24, 2024
Samana
Don't tinacos exist in La Terrenas? You fill them when there is water?
I don't like those tinacos, I want running water, just inside the house. use it to cook, bath, garden, washing etc. everyone should pay for the service: clean water, I can believe, there no water running so the people can use for doing the bases services in their houses

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't like those tinacos, I want running water, just inside the house. use it to cook, bath, garden, washing etc. everyone should pay for the service: clean water, I can believe, there no water running so the people can use for doing the bases services in their houses

Perhaps the DR is not for you.

Reactions: colmcb and Fulano2

ABSDR

Apr 24, 2024
Samana
I do love the Dom. Rep. I want to live there, In Samana, DR, it will be my living place. however, I want water to do my house bases services!

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I know these tricks. Then it needs a matching belt, jacket, purse, pants etc. Then something else is bought because it was on sale and it starts all over again. When I say something about it to my wife the cost of my habits is countered back to me. Lol

Of course. And then you forget that you bought a particular pair of shoes three months ago and you buy them again. And then keep both pairs in any case.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Perhaps the DR is not for you.

I don't think even in Santo Domingo there is fresh running water. Everyone gets water two or three times a week and stores it either in a tinaco or in a cisterna (a big well under the house). Some people have wells that can be used for water. But nobody drinks water from the faucet, everyone drinks bottled water.

Reactions: Fulano2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't think even in Santo Domingo there is fresh running water. Everyone gets water two or three times a week and stores it either in a tinaco or in a cisterna (a big well under the house). Some people have wells that can be used for water. But nobody drinks water from the faucet, everyone drinks bottled water.

We have our own well, but we also have a cistern and a huge tinaco on the roof, because if there’s no electricity there’s no well pump (unless we connect the generator). A lab tested our water awhile ago, said it’s potable, but we buy bottled water for drinking and cooking (and then filter the drinking water).

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I'm buying a Tesla Powerwall (hate to give Musk any of my money) and installing solar panels if I buy a house. Also probably a rainwater collection system/tank. I want to be off the (Dominican) grid. Cabarete and Sosua are the places I would like to live. I have nothing against the capital. I loved it when I lived there.
A friend of mine has a nice Hotel in Sosua... he has his own well and the roof is full of solar panels that the way to do it..............

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
A friend of mine has a nice Hotel in Sosua... he has his own well and the roof is full of solar panels that the way to do it..............

I can't imagine he has enough solar panels to power the AC units for a hotel, and I can't imagine a hotel without AC

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
By the way, where on earth would one purchase a handbag on the north coast? Gotta have a bag to match the shoes, that is the law. And make-up? I'd have to have a truck-load of goodies delivered every month to survive up there.
You are right Maria. My wife is born on the NC and buys her monthly needs on shoes and bags on yoox.com and Lyst.com, through Europe of course.
Amex is her best ….no that’s me.

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
Potential Issues:
* would have to travel to the US to maintain citizenship
Reply: Note: If you are a Resident of the USA then you can lose it But Not your Citizenship

* dual taxation?
Response: When you retire there is no dual taxation in DR; If you live 6 (six) months and One Day in DR the use exempts a large portion of the income/ last time I check it was 250K

* better access to medical care in the US (I have a chronic health condition for which I take daily medication for, don't know how much that would cost in DR).
When you travel Always buy the travel insurance/ it cost about 120.00 it covers medical emergencies up to One Million Dollar......I like Allianz/ You can buy it at AAA.

If you have 10K dollars in a foreign country you must file and declare it; the same if you have property there.

any person or entity subject to the jurisdiction of the United States (includes
individuals, corporations, partnerships, trusts, and estates) having a financial interest in, or
signature or other authority over, bank accounts, securities, or other financial accounts having a
value exceeding $10,000 in a foreign country shall report such a relationship. Although there are
some limited exceptions, filing requirements also apply to taxpayers that have direct or indirect
control over a foreign or domestic entity with foreign financial accounts even if the taxpayer
does not have foreign account(s). For example, a corporate-owned foreign account would require
filings by the corporation and by the individual corporate officers with signature authority.
Failure to disclose the required information to the U.S. Department of the Treasury may result in
substantial civil and/or criminal penalties

Benefits:
* miss the island and the culture, want to connect back to it.
* dollar/peso exchange rate: money can probably do more in DR.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I know a place! Manabao! I was there for a week in 1996, a huge tube in our shack straight from the river.
Bring over candles or lamparas de gas ..

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We have our own well, A lab tested our water awhile ago, said it’s potable, but we buy bottled water for drinking and cooking (and then filter the drinking water).
This is the best, you're right on the water source from the nature. I believe it has been in fact reported that even if not all water, some water from some water companies in the DR are in fact potable/drinkable when they left the filtering/preparation facilities, but the state of the plumbing infrastructure in the DR and more importantly, the lack of constant pressure may destroy the quality on the way to the end users/customers. So Coraaplata and others would actually produce potable water but as their distribution system completely sucks, that's not what the customers get...

But as you have a well, you get the best water, ground water and have control of the whole process till your tap...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is the best, you're right on the water source from the nature. I believe it has been in fact reported that even if not all water, some water from some water companies in the DR are in fact potable/drinkable when they left the filtering/preparation facilities, but the state of the plumbing infrastructure in the DR and more importantly, the lack of constant pressure may destroy the quality on the way to the end users/customers. So Coraaplata and others would actually produce potable water but as their distribution system completely sucks, that's not what the customers get...

But as you have a well, you get the best water, ground water and have control of the whole process till your tap...
I doubt that was ever true with respect to CORAAPPLATA.