Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Appalachian Bob?
Any of your kinfolks in "Deliverance"?

According to Tom Petty and the HB,

Ned Beatty
Had the hardest part
Brewers and apple farmers. There is no best spot in the Dominican Republic because everyone has a differwnt idea on what is best. Do a plus and minus list for each place you are thinking of. Coast or interior, mountains or plains, big city or small town.....etc.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Brewers and apple farmers. There is no best spot in the Dominican Republic because everyone has a differwnt idea on what is best. Do a plus and minus list for each place you are thinking of. Coast or interior, mountains or plains, big city or small town.....etc.
Cider?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So true,

If you like big ugly cities with horrible traffic, Santo Domingo is for you.

If you like being in a boring place in the mountains, then Jarabacoa.

If you want to be with francophones, check out La Terrenas.

Please under any circumstances do not come to Cabarete. We already have too much traffic for our one lane, one horse, town.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm with you JD! No power or water on the NC. Motos coming at you from all directions. Incompetent maintenance workers. Need I go on? The NC is a hellhole!

That's odd, we've never had issues worth mentioning with water or electricity? Nor with maintenance workers, quite to the contrary. You must have picked your surroundings wrong? I also find it interesting that you have apparently lived in all the locations that as combined are "NC"...

I've lived in POP for several years. The power occasionally goes out for a few hours (maybe every other week?), but not often enough to complain about. Never a problem for water, but I know other towns have that issue. Motos? Yes, but when I went to SD last month for residency renewal, I thought the traffic and the motos weaving in and out was terrible too. Can't lump the entire NC into a hellhole category.

Thank you!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So true,

Please under any circumstances do not come to Cabarete. We already have too much traffic for our one lane, one horse, town.
Boredom is a state of mind, not being.

Calos G-Diaz

Apr 15, 2020
Hey , power just went out in Cabarete!

I'm buying a Tesla Powerwall (hate to give Musk any of my money) and installing solar panels if I buy a house. Also probably a rainwater collection system/tank. I want to be off the (Dominican) grid. Cabarete and Sosua are the places I would like to live. I have nothing against the capital. I loved it when I lived there.

Reactions: johne and JD Jones

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Hey , power just went out in Cabarete!
I know, based on your reports, that luz is a serious problem sometimes in Cabarete. As it's much more touristy than POP, this is something I have hard time understanding with EDEs. Why treat those that for sure pay for the services badly... I know the answer is incompetence, so please consider this a rhetorical question...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
you are much better served in Cabarete Sir, enjoy. I love visiting. However, my mind would go numb living in that tiny town year around. Detroit and Baltimore are unsafe, not S.D. Santo Domingo is an international banking, manufacturing and Ag center. So, the conversations are much more interesting than "he bro who has the best happy hour and chicken wings", "hey does that there bar still have an oldies night and karaoke night". Of course, Cab is very close to that cultural mecca Sosua if one desires world class dining consisting of jerk chicken and rice.

Exactly this. Every time I go to Cabarete I die of boredom after 4 days. Especially if it rains. One supermarket, so if they're out of stock you don't buy it. And yes the beach is nice but there's only so much walking up and down and up and down and up and down a beach a woman needs. I've always been a city girl, the only places I would consider living in DR are SD and Santiago. Maybe even Puerto Plata. It also depends if you speak Spanish, that affects whether you want to live in a tourist enclave where everyone speaks English or are willing to venture into the real DR.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Boredom is a state in Jarabacoa. Been there more times than I can count, each time more boring than the last.
So, returning to the title of OP...what city would you recommend.? Any cities in the DR that have some positives in your mind? You must have some favorites being a citizen of the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So, returning to the title of OP...what city would you recommend.? Any cities in the DR that have some positives in your mind? You must have some favorites being a citizen of the DR.
Normally Cabarete, where I live, but at this time I am not recommending anyone move here. We already have enough people. .

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So true,

Do you have anything positive at all.

• Haha
Reactions: drstock and Unit5

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But much safer than those US cities

Big

Apr 24, 2019
But much safer than those US cities
you can pretty much walk the city from the colonial zone to Bella Vista during the day with no problems. Traffic is the biggest danger. Undesirable panhandlers and aggressive shoeshine guys are not permitted on most malls and shopping center areas. The prez has a house on Sarasota east of Moya, so there is more police, military and plainclothes guys around that neighborhood than you can count. I walk to Restaurant Mila at night and never have felt nervous. There is enough cafes and stores with activity.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
you can pretty much walk the city from the colonial zone to Bella Vista during the day with no problems. Traffic is the biggest danger. Undesirable panhandlers and aggressive shoeshine guys are not permitted on most malls and shopping center areas. The prez has a house on Sarasota east of Moya, so there is more police, military and plainclothes guys around that neighborhood than you can count. I walk to Restaurant Mila at night and never have felt nervous. There is enough cafes and stores with activity.
Totally agree about ZC to BV. I've done that and also done a 27 de Feb walk from Parque Enriquillo many many times. And yes I know Parque Enriquillo doesn't touch 27 de Feb. But still, walking up to 27 de Feb and the over and down to BV is a bit long but no hassles ever.

Didn't know about Luis' house. I'll have to stop by sometime and say hey.

Reactions: MariaRubia