Moving from France to DR

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Thank you for the add. So here goes ... my husband is in the process of finalizing an offer to move to Santo Domingo and I have a few things I would like your input on. Apologies in advance for the long list, and I am sure nobody will be able to answer them all, but your opinions would be hugely appreciated.

1). Which shipping companies have actual representation in DR? So full offices there - I would be shipping a 20 footer and would prefer the same company both ends and not have agents, unless of course there is a company there who are really good agents to other shippers.

2) I will not be moving with kids this time around, but with a dog (toy poodle) - so don't need accommodation near schools HOWEVER I don't want to socially isolate ourselves by living in the "wrong" area. For example living in Ghana we found that there were 2 main areas ... of course, others were great too - but traffic was absolute hell and thus if you lived on the wrong side of a certain traffic circle you would sit for hours just to visit friends, who mostly lived in one of the other 2 main expat suburbs. Which areas would be most suitable and or upmarket - are there stand alone houses, or gated communities in these areas? I currently live in an apartment and would absolutely love to NEVER have to live in one again (unless no other options of course)

3). I see there is an IKEA and other international shops - would you rank them as outrageously expensive? Is there anything that is very difficult to get, or prohibitively expensive, that you would suggest I bring? I am sure linen may be a stumbling point - not sure if DR follows US bed sizes or other. I would obviously need a whole restock of my electronics with the voltage difference, do you buy them in DR or better to ship in via online shopping?

4). Now this one is a little tricky. It's a long boring story thanks to Covid, but I MIGHT have to do the visa run for a few months until I can apply for residency permits. Husband will have full permits from the get-go. My passport permits me to visit visa-free for 90 days, I would then need to leave and return and get the next 90 day stay. My question - are flights to Cuba taking place at the moment? Is it easy to get out and back to DR and is there a minimum stay-away requirement? I will not do anything illegal of course.

5). Perhaps a daft question, but do you get large-size clothing and shoes, I am just shy of 6foot tall. France (and Asia before) have very petite sizes with no shoes over an EU41 for women - and then rarely even that. I wear a 42 (US10, I think it is). I have the opportunity of buying in the UK or Netherlands, but would prefer not to as the clothing will no doubt not be made for DR humidity.

6). Does unfurnished housing come with white goods, curtains and overhead light fittings (France for eg. generally has no lighting in rooms except the kitchen and bathroom)?

7). Is it easy to import pets? We will have the necessary documentation from here, but do dogs clear easily at the airport (arriving in cabin) - or would money need to change hands to make the system move?

8). Is it common to have live-in housekeepers, or would helpers live off-premises generally?

9). I have read about power shortages as well as water supply interruptions. Do houses generally come with generators/inverters and water storage? Is it even necessary?

If you are still reading, thank you, I know this thread is rather long-winded and there may even be more questions later. I do hope our move is finalised soon and I am able to meet you in person in a few months to thank you.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hi OTRA and welcome.

#9 is the only thing I can answer. I live in the south, in Boca Chica. We rarely have outages. It has gotten much better this year alone. I do have an inverter and 4 backup batteries and do use them on occasion. Our outages are generally 15 minutes or less. About 3 weeks ago we lost power all day Saturday for 2 successive Saturdays for maintenance.

From my extremely limited understanding, it's not quite as good in the north. But those members can answer that better.

By the way, we're on a well, so city water is not an issue unless we lose power.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
3). I see there is an IKEA and other international shops - would you rank them as outrageously expensive? Is there anything that is very difficult to get, or prohibitively expensive, that you would suggest I bring? I am sure linen may be a stumbling point - not sure if DR follows US bed sizes or other. I would obviously need a whole restock of my electronics with the voltage difference, do you buy them in DR or better to ship in via online shopping?

Generally speaking, and IKEA included, things are much more expensive here. You can also see this by going to ikea.com.do and comparing prices with the exchange rate... Yes, there is a difference... There are things here where you cannot ensure quality unless you order it from abroad, which is what many people (we included) do a lot... With ordering from abroad, the shipping costs may be high, but you get what you pay for...

6). Does unfurnished housing come with white goods, curtains and overhead light fittings (France for eg. generally has no lighting in rooms except the kitchen and bathroom)?

We've rented a few properties in different parts of the country, and no, white appliances are not included, neither light fixtures aside from the plain connector in the roof. You can definitely live with those but the quality of lighting is not that great... Certainly no curtains etc. included...

9). I have read about power shortages as well as water supply interruptions. Do houses generally come with generators/inverters and water storage? Is it even necessary?

This depends on the property, I suppose.... If you're renting a house, it might or might not have a cistern or a tinaco or neither of those... What is quite common here is that any property descriptions are pretty vague and when you contact the owner/agent, it's better if ask quite a few questions and see the property yourself. Not one house we've rented has come with anything to secure continuous power (inverter/generator), but apartment complexes may have these... I believe there are no standards as such, so you need to make sure that what you rent is what you need in terms of power supply / water... For water supply, if at all possible, I would try to check with neighbors (not with agent/owner) how is the water supply...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Shipping -
contact Hispaniola Freight in Sto Domingo
Your husband's employer may ideas too

Housekeepers
Either live in or out
Live in would depend on your apartment/house...
Lots of them have rooms for staff

Residency
Again, husband's work may help with this
To get started - go to your local Dominican Embassy/Consulate to get advice
I have a lawyer for you - PM will be sent

Dog
Easy....
$10 US on the way in once you have rabies shots and health certificate
Search that here - lots of advice

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hi OTRA and welcome.

#9 is the only thing I can answer. I live in the south, in Boca Chica. We rarely have outages. It has gotten much better this year alone. I do have an inverter and 4 backup batteries and do use them on occasion. Our outages are generally 15 minutes or less. About 3 weeks ago we lost power all day Saturday for 2 successive Saturdays for maintenance.

From my extremely limited understanding, it's not quite as good in the north. But those members can answer that better.

By the way, we're on a well, so city water is not an issue unless we lose power.
Btw, you live in the east. The point of reference is the cordillera Central.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Hi OTRA and welcome.

In my opinion, power outages cannot really be differentiated in terms of North and South, but rather much much more location-specific... We live close to the city center in POP and we don't even have an inverter... We do have outages, but those are extremely seldom, perhaps max 3-4 times a month if even that... And unless the transformer explodes, they never last more than 5 minutes... Full-day outages we have not had during the years we've lived here...

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Feb 7, 2007
1. I think the only freight company that has offices in France and the DR would be UPS Logistics (sister to the express air UPS).
But you can use www.multimodal.fr which works with Neutral Logistics here in the DR, I know Neutral very well.

Reactions: Africaida
Feb 7, 2007
2. It takes about 60 to 90 minutes to cross Santo Domingo from East to West in bad traffic. (From Charles de Gaulle / Las Americas to El 9 de Kennedy). About 30 minutes within the city center. About 45 minutes from DN to Santo Domingo Este or from DN to Santo Domingo Norte or from DN to Santo Domingo Oeste. The worst part of traffic is from Elevado 27 to 27 with Churchil (east to west) and Kennedy to Malecon (north to south), followed by Charles de Gaulle street in Santo Domingo Este between Las Americas in SD Este and Hermanas Mirabal in SD Norte. I find Santo Domingo Este and Norte and Distrito Nacional more congested than Santo Domingo Oeste.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
6. No white appliances, no fixtures, no curtains in unfurnished housings.

Adding to this, please don't take hot water (so heater) or plumbing for that granted. Ask/find out... I'd assume in better areas you can take that almost as granted, but I'd personally never assume... In our house, there was an on-demand gas heater that was out of order when we moved in, so we (or, our plumber) disconnected that, purchased our own electric water heater and made the appropriate connections... We will, of course, remove that when we move out...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
1. I think the only freight company that has offices in France and the DR would be UPS Logistics (sister to the express air UPS).
But you can use www.multimodal.fr which works with Neutral Logistics here in the DR, I know Neutral very well.
There doesn't need to be direct connection the shipper in France and RD -

My shipment (40 ft container) left PA and was accepted and cleared here by Hispaniola Freight in STO DOM
Knowing now, I would start w/ them at this end to orchestrate the shipment.

Reactions: OnTheRoadAgain

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thank you for the add. So here goes ... my husband is in the process of finalizing an offer to move to Santo Domingo and I have a few things I would like your input on. Apologies in advance for the long list, and I am sure nobody will be able to answer them all, but your opinions would be hugely appreciated.

1). Which shipping companies have actual representation in DR? So full offices there - I would be shipping a 20 footer and would prefer the same company both ends and not have agents, unless of course there is a company there who are really good agents to other shippers.

Your best course of action is to go with a reputable moving company there in France, which is local. The clearing process is to be carried out by a local (DR) agent.

What’s important, is that your husband applied for the residency via work process, so all your home stuff is cleared with little to no duties.

That starts at his end there in France.

2) I will not be moving with kids this time around, but with a dog (toy poodle) - so don't need accommodation near schools HOWEVER I don't want to socially isolate ourselves by living in the "wrong" area. For example living in Ghana we found that there were 2 main areas ... of course, others were great too - but traffic was absolute hell and thus if you lived on the wrong side of a certain traffic circle you would sit for hours just to visit friends, who mostly lived in one of the other 2 main expat suburbs. Which areas would be most suitable and or upmarket - are there stand alone houses, or gated communities in these areas? I currently live in an apartment and would absolutely love to NEVER have to live in one again (unless no other options of course)

This would depend on where your husband job in SD will be located. Once you have this piece of information, there are plenty of options that can be formulated.

This country is located in a Caribbean island, shared between two nations. Everything is either boated or flown in and out.

Expect to pay higher rates for anything that’s imported and/or uses lots of import raw materials in the manufacturing.

There’s nothing prohibitively here, just a tad or higher more expensive.

DR follows US bed sizes, European shoe sizes.
Don’t ship any electronics, Best to buy them for US rated electrical service/plugs. it will be a hassle to keep hauling and using adapters for your EU electronics for long here. You can keep some important ones for your travels back to France. We buy them from the US and bring them with us most of the time.

The rest we buy here, more expensive but with warranties.

4). Now this one is a little tricky. It's a long boring story thanks to Covid, but I MIGHT have to do the visa run for a few months until I can apply for residency permits. Husband will have full permits from the get-go. My passport permits me to visit visa-free for 90 days, I would then need to leave and return and get the next 90 day stay. My question - are flights to Cuba taking place at the moment? Is it easy to get out and back to DR and is there a minimum stay-away requirement? I will not do anything illegal of course.

There’s no minimum stay away requirement.
You MUST not overstay your visa free stay, since you plan on applying for residence thereafter.

There are still flights to Cuba, but it’s a touch and go with gov there.

5). Perhaps a daft question, but do you get large-size clothing and shoes, I am just shy of 6foot tall. France (and Asia before) have very petite sizes with no shoes over an EU41 for women - and then rarely even that. I wear a 42 (US10, I think it is). I have the opportunity of buying in the UK or Netherlands, but would prefer not to as the clothing will no doubt not be made for DR humidity.

Yes, there are large sizes but not so much for shoes. Clothes need not be specialized for humidity. Just get what you like and don’t worry.
Another plus in the DR is that you can have your clothes custom tailored to your liking for cheap.

My niece is 6’ 1” and she finds what she shops for most of the time here. But since tailors are a Dime a dozen here…cheap!

It depends on type of rental. Furnished rentals have everything. Unfurnished rentals may or most likely may not. No curtains and basic lighting fixtures to customize with your tastes.
High end rentals usually come with fixtures in place.

7). Is it easy to import pets? We will have the necessary documentation from here, but do dogs clear easily at the airport (arriving in cabin) - or would money need to change hands to make the system move?

To bring your pet is not too hard, just a bit more complicated now than before covid.

8). Is it common to have live-in housekeepers, or would helpers live off-premises generally?

Yes to both. It’s more to your needs. But it’s highly recommended they don’t live-in.

Most homes come with water cistern/tanks solutions. Inverters are the norm on high end rentals, not so much for unfurnished rentals.
It’s necessary, more so during powerful storms which are seasonal here.

If you are still reading, thank you, I know this thread is rather long-winded and there may even be more questions later. I do hope our move is finalised soon and I am able to meet you in person in a few months to thank you.

Best of luck!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are going to be legal residents here, then you start that process in your home country and enter with the proper "residency visa" from your local Dominican Embassy and proper documents to complete the process in the DR.

I hate Santo Domingo but I hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: CristoRey

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
4. Why go to Cuba? Visit Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia etc on your visa runs ...
when I when to cuba a few years ago. the only way to go from the DR to cuba was to first fly to panama city .... then back across the carribean to havana...go figure......

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hi OTRA and welcome.

Thank you for your reply. A 15 minute outage and the occasional day off I will be able to live with - I've suffered way worse in other countries, so good to know.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Generally speaking, and IKEA included, things are much more expensive here. You can also see this by going to ikea.com.do and comparing prices with the exchange rate... Yes, there is a difference... There are things here where you cannot ensure quality unless you order it from abroad, which is what many people (we included) do a lot... With ordering from abroad, the shipping costs may be high, but you get what you pay for...

We've rented a few properties in different parts of the country, and no, white appliances are not included, neither light fixtures aside from the plain connector in the roof. You can definitely live with those but the quality of lighting is not that great... Certainly no curtains etc. included...

This depends on the property, I suppose.... If you're renting a house, it might or might not have a cistern or a tinaco or neither of those... What is quite common here is that any property descriptions are pretty vague and when you contact the owner/agent, it's better if ask quite a few questions and see the property yourself. Not one house we've rented has come with anything to secure continuous power (inverter/generator), but apartment complexes may have these... I believe there are no standards as such, so you need to make sure that what you rent is what you need in terms of power supply / water... For water supply, if at all possible, I would try to check with neighbors (not with agent/owner) how is the water supply...
This is great, thanks. Just having IKEA incase of emergency is comforting - I see the pricing is similar to France, so while it definitely hurts - sometimes good ole flat packs just make life easier.

Pity about the white goods, obviously most things I own with a plug will need to be sent off to charity ... as long as the electrical goods are available and of reasonable quality I think we will manage. Are there any "for sale" websites or FaceBook pages where expats leaving sell items?

Thanks for the heads up regarding water tankage etc, will keep a beady eye on what the neighbours have!