Moving from France to DR

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Shipping -
contact Hispaniola Freight in Sto Domingo
Your husband's employer may ideas too

Housekeepers
Either live in or out
Live in would depend on your apartment/house...
Lots of them have rooms for staff

Residency
Again, husband's work may help with this
To get started - go to your local Dominican Embassy/Consulate to get advice
I have a lawyer for you - PM will be sent

Dog
Easy....
$10 US on the way in once you have rabies shots and health certificate
Search that here - lots of advice
Hispaniola will be receiving an email as soon as I have confirmation from this side. Does Santa Fe have offices in DR (I know I can google, just being a little lazy I suppose). The company will be paying - but alas I have to do the arranging from France.

Thank you for the lawyer contact, I received it and filed the details. I don't think we will need it - but you never know. My husband's company will do all the residency "stuff" ... there is just a little bit of bureaucracy at the moment (it's a complicated story) so while he will have his from the get go, mine may only be applied for in a few months - fingers crossed that the powers that be come to an agreement and my paperwork also gets filed from the get-go.

I will have the cash on hand to get the pooch into the country, her shots et al are all current. My vet will do the health certificate - thnks

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
2. It takes about 60 to 90 minutes to cross Santo Domingo from East to West in bad traffic. (From Charles de Gaulle / Las Americas to El 9 de Kennedy). About 30 minutes within the city center. About 45 minutes from DN to Santo Domingo Este or from DN to Santo Domingo Norte or from DN to Santo Domingo Oeste. The worst part of traffic is from Elevado 27 to 27 with Churchil (east to west) and Kennedy to Malecon (north to south), followed by Charles de Gaulle street in Santo Domingo Este between Las Americas in SD Este and Hermanas Mirabal in SD Norte. I find Santo Domingo Este and Norte and Distrito Nacional more congested than Santo Domingo Oeste.
Omigosh, I am going to have to get my google maps out! Thank you.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
4. Why go to Cuba? Visit Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia etc on your visa runs ...
Aah, well actually I would need to do visa runs to countries that allow me entry without a visa. I would need my DR residency before I could apply for visas to neighbouring countries from the DR. But you are right, I will need to look at all the countries around DR and have a list of "friendly" ones - there could be really great ones, not just Cuba (who only recently decided my passport wasn't so bad after all and thus allow us to enter sans- visa for a short visit)

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Adding to this, please don't take hot water (so heater) or plumbing for that granted. Ask/find out... I'd assume in better areas you can take that almost as granted, but I'd personally never assume... In our house, there was an on-demand gas heater that was out of order when we moved in, so we (or, our plumber) disconnected that, purchased our own electric water heater and made the appropriate connections... We will, of course, remove that when we move out...
Great to know, I will be the one turning taps on when doing house hunting!!

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Your best course of action is to go with a reputable moving company there in France, which is local. The clearing process is to be carried out by a local (DR) agent.

What’s important, is that your husband applied for the residency via work process, so all your home stuff is cleared with little to no duties.

That starts at his end there in France.

This would depend on where your husband job in SD will be located. Once you have this piece of information, there are plenty of options that can be formulated.

This country is located in a Caribbean island, shared between two nations. Everything is either boated or flown in and out.

Expect to pay higher rates for anything that’s imported and/or uses lots of import raw materials in the manufacturing.

There’s nothing prohibitively here, just a tad or higher more expensive.

DR follows US bed sizes, European shoe sizes.
Don’t ship any electronics, Best to buy them for US rated electrical service/plugs. it will be a hassle to keep hauling and using adapters for your EU electronics for long here. You can keep some important ones for your travels back to France. We buy them from the US and bring them with us most of the time.

The rest we buy here, more expensive but with warranties.

There’s no minimum stay away requirement.
You MUST not overstay your visa free stay, since you plan on applying for residence thereafter.

There are still flights to Cuba, but it’s a touch and go with gov there.

Yes, there are large sizes but not so much for shoes. Clothes need not be specialized for humidity. Just get what you like and don’t worry.
Another plus in the DR is that you can have your clothes custom tailored to your liking for cheap.

My niece is 6’ 1” and she finds what she shops for most of the time here. But since tailors are a Dime a dozen here…cheap!

It depends on type of rental. Furnished rentals have everything. Unfurnished rentals may or most likely may not. No curtains and basic lighting fixtures to customize with your tastes.
High end rentals usually come with fixtures in place.

To bring your pet is not too hard, just a bit more complicated now than before covid.

Yes to both. It’s more to your needs. But it’s highly recommended they don’t live-in.

Most homes come with water cistern/tanks solutions. Inverters are the norm on high end rentals, not so much for unfurnished rentals.
It’s necessary, more so during powerful storms which are seasonal here.

Best of luck!
Wow, thank you for the comprehensive reply.

Yes, my husband will definitely have his permits or at least have them in process - to avoid any import duties. His office will be between the Blue Mall and Novo Centro ... closer to Ave Abraham Lincoln. I have heard Piantini is upscale, but are there houses or gated estates? or is it apartments exclusively. I dont have a budget yet, which of course will be the fly in the ointment if it's too low for upscale areas, hence I would need to look at traffic and possibly move further out.

I will definitely not overstay - my Spanish is not good enough to get myself out of jail!!! but seriously, I will make sure to not fall foul of this. I was just wondering if I could hop somewhere friendly to my passport and back for say a weekend, vs needing to be out of the country for a week or whatever. If its just a weekend then it will make my life so much easier.

Custom tailoring at reasonable prices... aaaaah bliss ....

Looks like I need a high end rental, fingers crossed - alas, never guaranteed.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
If you are going to be legal residents here, then you start that process in your home country and enter with the proper "residency visa" from your local Dominican Embassy and proper documents to complete the process in the DR.

I hate Santo Domingo but I hope you enjoy it.
Hi there, yes - my husband's paperwork will be done prior to arrival... mine maybe not (but hopefully)

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
If you are going to be legal residents here, then you start that process in your home country and enter with the proper "residency visa" from your local Dominican Embassy and proper documents to complete the process in the DR.

I hate Santo Domingo but I hope you enjoy it.
I do hope I enjoy it.... I have never hated a place, but have to admit I have liked some a lot less than others.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
when I when to cuba a few years ago. the only way to go from the DR to cuba was to first fly to panama city .... then back across the carribean to havana...go figure......
This may still be the case, I merely looked at flights on Google which showed a direct option - but as with many places this could be entirely wrong. I imagine I will find this out once actually in DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect that requires the country of citizenship.... to start the process.
or
Do you think the country of residency ?

Never thought about it before....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I expect that requires the country of citizenship.... to start the process.
or
Do you think the country of residency ?

Never thought about it before....

REQUIREMENTS​

• Passport valid for a minimum of six (6) months.
• Residence Visa (RS).
• Birth certificate unexteded.
• Four (4) recent photographs, of the same set: two (2) front and two (2), right profile, size 2×2, white background
Certificate of No Criminal Record of your country of origin or of the country where you have resided in the last five (5) years.
• Marriage certificate, declaration of singleness or proof of living together, apostilled or legalized.
• Guarantee policy contracted with the insurance company authorized by the DGM (Dominicana de Seguros)
• Medical examinations, in one of the institutions authorized by the DGM.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hispaniola will be receiving an email as soon as I have confirmation from this side. Does Santa Fe have offices in DR (I know I can google, just being a little lazy I suppose). The company will be paying - but alas I have to do the arranging from France.

Thank you for the lawyer contact, I received it and filed the details. I don't think we will need it - but you never know. My husband's company will do all the residency "stuff" ... there is just a little bit of bureaucracy at the moment (it's a complicated story) so while he will have his from the get go, mine may only be applied for in a few months - fingers crossed that the powers that be come to an agreement and my paperwork also gets filed from the get-go.

I will have the cash on hand to get the pooch into the country, her shots et al are all current. My vet will do the health certificate - thnks
Normal good quality Queen and King sized beds are available in many stores and decent sheets are also easy to find.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow, thank you for the comprehensive reply.

Yes, my husband will definitely have his permits or at least have them in process - to avoid any import duties. His office will be between the Blue Mall and Novo Centro ... closer to Ave Abraham Lincoln. I have heard Piantini is upscale, but are there houses or gated estates? or is it apartments exclusively. I dont have a budget yet, which of course will be the fly in the ointment if it's too low for upscale areas, hence I would need to look at traffic and possibly move further out.

I will definitely not overstay - my Spanish is not good enough to get myself out of jail!!! but seriously, I will make sure to not fall foul of this. I was just wondering if I could hop somewhere friendly to my passport and back for say a weekend, vs needing to be out of the country for a week or whatever. If its just a weekend then it will make my life so much easier.

Custom tailoring at reasonable prices... aaaaah bliss ....

Looks like I need a high end rental, fingers crossed - alas, never guaranteed.
Normal good quality Queen and King sized beds are available in many stores and decent sheets are also easy to find. There are lots of tall Dominican women with big feet, but as my wife as found quality is harder to find than quantity.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Big feet? I missed that one.

There are very few men's shoes available in my size. They tend to stop at 44 and I need 45.
Not a "huge" problem for me, pun intended, since I order on line anyway because they are just not available here.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Normal good quality Queen and King sized beds are available in many stores and decent sheets are also easy to find. There are lots of tall Dominican women with big feet, but as my wife as found quality is harder to find than quantity.
Good to know that at least something can be found. In France its impossible, sales staff literally stare at your feet :) (In Singapore I had a sales lady call the other staff to come and look at my feet... )
Big feet? I missed that one.

There are very few men's shoes available in my size. They tend to stop at 44 and I need 45.
Not a "huge" problem for me, pun intended, since I order on line anyway because they are just not available here.
Oh my sons wear a 46 and 47 respecitively... they buy online exclusively, the struggle is real.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
This may still be the case, I merely looked at flights on Google which showed a direct option - but as with many places this could be entirely wrong. I imagine I will find this out once actually in DR
some times there is another option... a flight from santo domingo to havana..2 problems with this, its on a cuban airline. and the cost used to be more than double than flying on Copa to panama..........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good to know that at least something can be found. In France its impossible, sales staff literally stare at your feet :) (In Singapore I had a sales lady call the other staff to come and look at my feet... )

Oh my sons wear a 46 and 47 respecitively... they buy online exclusively, the struggle is real.
Haha, my sons are 46 and 47 as well and in Canada they have no problem, but here I don't know I only take a 41 so have no problems. I do know there are lots of women here with large feet though.