Moving to DR this year

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
That would depend on the state Bob. My Real Estate taxes include school tax. Not a really big amount in either Florida or Maryland where I have homes. Public School costs in both are almost nil as compared to the DR.

that isn't particularly expensive. If you were living in the states you would be paying school taxes, plus a variety of fees as well.

Snowmane72

Jan 4, 2017
@WRM: Even if you do decide to pay a premium for the better private schools in the DR, if your child decides to attend college in the US, then they will definitely be considered out-of-state and out-of-state tuition costs are insane. Just one more thing to consider down the road. (Of course the flip side to this is that your child's exposure to another culture might make them more desirable as an applicant to universities that value diversity.)

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I wish I could be so cavalier with the future of my family. But if you choose to put your kids into a failing education system, with poorly trained teachers and throw the dice with their future, good luck. The U.S offers incredible education opportunities for children like no other place in the world. The teachers are highly educated, many with Masters degrees. They are trained to identify strengths and weaknesses of children early on. There are thousands of college opportunities and college prep courses in grade school... Yea I know, no beach, no Dominos, no extreme poverty to expose them to so they can get a well rounded education.

Like no other place in the world? Really? The world is a lot bigger place than you think.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
@WRM: Even if you do decide to pay a premium for the better private schools in the DR, if your child decides to attend college in the US, then they will definitely be considered out-of-state and out-of-state tuition costs are insane. Just one more thing to consider down the road. (Of course the flip side to this is that your child's exposure to another culture might make them more desirable as an applicant to universities that value diversity.)

Our children were educated in the USA, Canadian citizens.
On application to college, they went into the foreigner file.

Easier accepting and they peg your currency for the entire 4 yrs.
Scholarship still applies.
My younger got a 50% free ride.

RD will be the same.

Our 'out of state ' status ( although living in the USA) actually helped us.

Go figure 

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
that isn't particularly expensive. If you were living in the states you would be paying school taxes, plus a variety of fees as well.

While not as expensive as some of the other private schools, the point was that the expenses add up. Not only the tuition but the other expenses as well. Back in the US school taxes are included with the property taxes which in my case were not high at all. I have other nieces and nephews in private schools (outside of Santo Domingo) and while the tuition is not bad, there are the added expenses of books, uniforms, etc...