Moving to DR

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
OP = Original Post or Poster

You mentioned teaching English... do you have a degree in education? If so, you should look into the school at Cap Cana. I have no idea of the salary, but I'd bet it would be the best you'll find in that area.

Also...other than the El Cortecito area of Bavaro/Punta Cana... there's not much to do there besides going to the beach...and the new mall. Oh, they do have a big bowling alley there...lol But as far as restaurants, bars, clubs, etc, it's not the place to be.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Your reply would suffice if I asked what you thought about Non-Dominicans working in the Dominican Republic and the unemployment rate... There was no need to waste your time here. However, if you started this thread I would be happy to comment on your point.

Thank you for your response and no, I don't consider it a waste of time. Just providing some contextual background in which to set your question. You asked for basic information about moving to and living in the DR. You indicated you would be looking for work. I would have thought that info about unemployment levels here was relevant to this question and the ease or difficulty you might experience in finding a job. If the moderator considers it irrelevant I am happy to accept her opinion. Otherwise, when any of us post on a public forum we have to expect a range of reponses, not all of which may be what we want to hear. :)

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
Thank you for your response and no, I don't consider it a waste of time. Just providing some contextual background in which to set your question. You asked for basic information about moving to and living in the DR. You indicated you would be looking for work. I would have thought that info about unemployment levels here was relevant to this question and the ease or difficulty you might experience in finding a job. If the moderator considers it irrelevant I am happy to accept her opinion. Otherwise, when any of us post on a public forum we have to expect a range of reponses, not all of which may be what we want to hear. :)

Correction, it was a waste of my time to read that particular reply. I have no doubt that you are well-informed about the DR, and would be able to provide wonderful ideas, feedback, expertise etc. Nonetheless, it?s not what you said; it?s how it was said. It came across as an insult. If you were to re-visit your response, I?m certain you could identify with my point. I am amazed that you believe a ?Foreigner? can take something away from a Dominican. Furthermore, If anyone, Dominican or not, has the qualification that an Organization/Company is looking for, I strongly disagree a ?Foreigner? can take that away. I am aware that I have choices, choices which allow me to go about any country I want. It?s unfortunate that the DR (and my country of birth) does not have the same advantages, but who do you blame for that. It can be very stifling living in North America at times, being able to breathe for 1 year w/o having to worry about money is what I am hoping for. Be content that a ?Foreigner? is making the choice out of thousands of countries to be around Dominicans. In addition to the above-said, please note that I understand the concept of a public forum and the importance of being open-minded. Again, it?s how it was said. If you can, please disregard my previous response and replace it with the aforementioned. Cheers

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
OP = Original Post or Poster

You mentioned teaching English... do you have a degree in education? If so, you should look into the school at Cap Cana. I have no idea of the salary, but I'd bet it would be the best you'll find in that area.

Also...other than the El Cortecito area of Bavaro/Punta Cana... there's not much to do there besides going to the beach...and the new mall. Oh, they do have a big bowling alley there...lol But as far as restaurants, bars, clubs, etc, it's not the place to be.

Thanks for clarifying... I will certainly look into that School? I'm currently working on my degree. I?m assuming that Bavaro is primarily for vacationing and would be rather expensie to live?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
DON't COME!!!! You Are Not "Cut Out" For LIFE IN THE DR!!!

Your "ATTITUDE" $ucks!!! Your
"I Know More Than You!" response to the responses that are not up to your standards proves that! You will need friends here ! You are not the kind of "ExPAT" that will enjoy the "Give and Take" lifestyle here!

You should not come!:mad:

Mean People $UCK!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
Your "ATTITUDE" $ucks!!! Your
"I Know More Than You!" response to the responses that are not up to your standards proves that! You will need friends here ! You are not the kind of "ExPAT" that will enjoy the "Give and Take" lifestyle here!

You should not come!:mad:

Mean People $UCK!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

Wow... I'm not asking for permission to enter your country, I have my passport for that. I wanted opinions from other DR's. FYI, I have friends in the DR and they love me. Hey, you are just one person I won't have as a "friend" no big deal. Give and take lifestyle? That's everywhere.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Correction, it was a waste of my time to read that particular reply.
What a strange comment to make. IF it was a waste of your time to READ the post, why on EARTH further waste your time by replying to it?? Seems an odd sort of behaviour!

Just to clarify something to you, this forum is NOT about YOU - it is about the MANY posters that visit here, & whereas a response may not suit YOU, it may be suitable & give information to others. You are not being forced to read ANY reply - you chose to read the above. You CHOSE to "Waste your time"!

I have no doubt that you are well-informed about the DR, and would be able to provide wonderful ideas, feedback, expertise etc.
Lambada IS & Lambada DOES. Check her 2000 odd other posts & see for yourself!

Nonetheless, it?s not what you said; it?s how it was said. It came across as an insult. If you were to re-visit your response, I?m certain you could identify with my point.
Your are easily insulted then. My observation to that is that the DR may not be the answer to your dreams - even for just a YEAR.

I am amazed that you believe a ?Foreigner? can take something away from a Dominican. Furthermore, If anyone, Dominican or not, has the qualification that an Organization/Company is looking for, I strongly disagree a ?Foreigner? can take that away.
Then you are too young, too immature or just too unaware in the practices of life M'Dear. This happens ALL the time & all over the world. The difference here is that there are not enough 'other' jobs for Dominicans to apply for - THAT was the whole point of Lambada's post.

I am aware that I have choices, choices which allow me to go about any country I want. It?s unfortunate that the DR (and my country of birth) does not have the same advantages, but who do you blame for that.
Please consider the option of continuing the exercising of your choices! I am sure the DR will not be offended (nor insulted!).:D

It can be very stifling living in North America at times, being able to breathe for 1 year w/o having to worry about money is what I am hoping for. Be content that a ?Foreigner? is making the choice out of thousands of countries to be around Dominicans.
You are considering coming here for just one year? To get away from a stifling life in the North America? You are not committing yourself to the country you wish to be employed in? And you don't consider that your taking a job for just that one year is usurping the job opportunity for life of a suitably qualified Dominican?? Now who is being insulting?:rolleyes:

In addition to the above-said, please note that I understand the concept of a public forum and the importance of being open-minded. Again, it?s how it was said.
Or maybe it hit a nerve you didn't want to acknowledge?? It couldn't be that YOU misinterpreted something or that your conscience got pricked could it? ................. Nahhhhhhh, couldn't be YOUR fault!!

This is a very rare occurrence & therefor should be noted in the annuals of the DR1 archives - so please everyone, make the best of it .......:) :) :rambo: .............. with regard to this poster I agree with Criss CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC. ~ Grahame

Last edited:

crm

May 5, 2004
sorry ... when you think of how many free zone jobs were once based in the states and all the money made in the american economy that comes over and is spent here I have no problem at all with some foreigners coming and taking a job. Who cares in the big scheme of things ?? For every foreigner that comes and takes a Dominicans job in this country there are 10 jobs moved over from the states and given to Dominicans. Please stop your self righteous diatribe. Most Dominicans who want to work are working. Too bad so many just want to run a colmado from their house, or run a chimi stand etc ...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
For every foreigner that comes and takes a Dominicans job in this country there are 10 jobs moved over from the states and given to Dominicans.

Wow! I would recount and recheck that statistic if I were you!

To the op, why not simply come to the DR for a year, take it easy and don't bother with working?

kirkland1222

Mar 9, 2005
I don't think the op can afford to live without working for 1 yr. Isn't it the responsibility of the employer to find the most qualified worker? If the op is not that person what makes everyone think he/she will get said job over a Dominican? If he/she is more qualified to teach than the rest of the applicant pool, then if I were a Dominican father sending my son/daughter to that particular school, I would want the best teacher available. Wouldn't that benefit the general population in the long run rather than one job taken by a foreigner for one year? I also believe that education is best when received by all different points of view rather than one. I have had many foreign instructors throughtout my studies and feel more well-rounded as a result. Dominicans should feel lucky to experience the same.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Very confusing!

I am aware that I have choices, choices which allow me to go about any country I want. It?s unfortunate that the DR (and my country of birth) does not have the same advantages, but who do you blame for that.

The way I read this, you make it sound like you were born in the DR-were you? Or am I reading this wrong.

The next confusing point is that you stated that you visited Punta Cana once, have you been anywhere else in the DR or was this the only trip. I mentioned this in an earlier post when I had quoted a post of yours from the travel section, and you did not correct me, so I am assuming that this was your only trip to the DR, am I right on this point?

FYI, I have friends in the DR and they love me.

I would think if your friends love you so much, they would be more than willing to answer all of your questions and help you find a job, so therefore you really do not need us, so you?

Your reply would suffice if I asked what you thought about Non-Dominicans working in the Dominican Republic and the unemployment rate... There was no need to waste your time here. However, if you started this thread I would be happy to comment on your point.

:cross-eye With what knowledge would you comment on this point? Since you are the one asking about the job situation in the DR, I would think that you would not have the information at hand to comment!

As you may realize, you have pretty much insulted one of the most respected members of DR1, when all she was trying to do is share her vast wealth of knowledge that she has accumulated over the last 14+ years of living here!!

Like CC said - with an attitude like you have towards the posters that write what you do not want to hear, how do you expect people to jump in and help you.

Do us all a favour - please at least treat the Dominicans with respect when you arrive in their country. Although you see it as your right to be able to move to the DR and live, it is actually a priveledge to be allowed to live in their country!

Marlie

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
And may I add.....

What is this all about that you just posted in the Sankie Forum?

Power to the Sankies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently joined this site to basically do research. Mainly,because I want to spend about a year in DR to just relax and have fun and not have to think about 9 months of cold LOL. To this date, I had no idea what a Sankie was, but got the jist of it by reading. To be honest, I say go Sankies. It's a dog-eat-dog world and my philosophy is, you do what you must to get by. Now,If you are stupid enough to go on vacation and leave with the stress of sending money or worrying about "he loves me or not" then I suggest you seek help. I'm no shrink but it's common sense. I am pleading with all the sanktified (if that's the term )to stop leaving a bad taste in the mouths of others. I do not feel sorry for any of you. Sankies, just don't forget to pray at night.

Not only did you upset some people who have been taken and are asking for our guidance, but ....

you stated that you are going to go to the Dr to just relax and have fun?

So, have you changed your mind about getting a job teaching English

Thanks, I was thinking I can teach English. I just want to take a yr off N America live as "local" as possible, with an income of course

Marlie:pirate:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Most Dominicans who want to work are working.
Would that that were true. That's another bit of information which needs checking. A good place to start would be yesterday's DR1 News, 3. Free zone closures affect all. Or today's papers:
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

El Nacional, la voz de todos

Puerto Plata Digital

And apart from papers, there is real life experience. People who had worked in clerical jobs in local ZF now knocking on doors of upmarket Dominican areas asking if there is any work available as gardener or patio cleaner...... I know there will always be people who live here and those who do not who feel it is none of their concern. They are entitled to their view even though it is one I do not share. But do not underestimate the issue of the growing numbers of unemployed - there are ramifications of this which will affect all who live here. The Government may have woken up to this, at long last, but it is possibly too little too late.

And yes kirkland1222, I would in theory agree about the best person for the job. It's just that I have yet to be convinced that the OP displays those characteristics. :)

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
To the op, why not simply come to the DR for a year, take it easy and don't bother with working?[/QUOTE]

That's an idea. However, I love teaching it makes me feel that I am contributing to someone else's dreams. I would not be doing myself any justice by spending a year doing nothing. I considered volunteering but my trip is to adapt and live the way others around me would. If not, I would be bored. Thank you for responding constructively

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
The way I read this, you make it sound like you were born in the DR-were you? Or am I reading this wrong.

No I was not born in the DR

The next confusing point is that you stated that you visited Punta Cana once, have you been anywhere else in the DR or was this the only trip.

Only trip

I would think if your friends love you so much, they would be more than willing to answer all of your questions and help you find a job, so therefore you really do not need us, so you?

As I stated, I wanted other opinions from other DR's

:cross-eye With what knowledge would you comment on this point? Since you are the one asking about the job situation in the DR, I would think that you would not have the information at hand to comment!

My input would be related to the topic- Foreigners "taking" jobs from locals

As you may realize, you have pretty much insulted one of the most respected members of DR1,

It's was certainly not my intent

Like CC said - with an attitude like you have towards the posters that write what you do not want to hear, how do you expect people to jump in and help you.

I beleive that option is left up to the respondent

treat the Dominicans with respect when you arrive in their country.

I did and will continue to do so. My attitide is always mirrored

Although you see it as your right to be able to move to the DR and live, it is actually a priveledge to be allowed to live in their country!

My sentiments exactly, hence the reason I want to re-visit

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
at present Dominicanos are the largest ethnic group in the city of New York, my estimate 900,000 + X # illegal, more dominicans than italians or irish or puerto ricans.............talk about taking away jobs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dominicans wrote the book.............and they are not all janitors jobs. dominicans now control the limo biz in NY, my buddy, dominican, owns the parking lot next to Yankee Stadium. and what about all those poor boys from kansas that can't play pro baseball anymore because someone from another country (RD) stole a few more bases and got that job?.....2.2 million avg starting salary.......................whew! and you want to begrudge a guy an english teaching job? and besides, this country could use all the english it can get......

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
at present Dominicanos are the largest ethnic group in the city of New York, my estimate 900,000 + X # illegal, more dominicans than italians or irish or puerto ricans.............talk about taking away jobs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

We are not talking about New York and the Dominicans that were fortunate enough to get a visa, leave the country and get jobs.

whew! and you want to begrudge a guy an english teaching job?

No one person is begrudging this person an English teaching job, it was just stated that it is a shame that people think they can just move to this country and get a job, which in essense, is taking a job away from a Dominican.

The board has been inundated lately with requests from people who want to move to the DR and work in bars, resorts, law offices etc. It is a scary thought that so many people are wanting to move here to work without any forthought to what it takes away from the host country and its people.

If people actually took their head out of the sand while either vacationing or living in the DR, and took a look around them, they will notice the desperation for work, and the increasing poverty around them.

and besides, this country could use all the english it can get......

Why in the world would you say that.... the DR is a Spanish speaking country, first and foremost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlie

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
at present Dominicanos are the largest ethnic group in the city of New York, my estimate 900,000 + X # illegal, more dominicans than italians or irish or puerto ricans.............talk about taking away jobs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dominicans wrote the book.............and they are not all janitors jobs. dominicans now control the limo biz in NY, my buddy, dominican, owns the parking lot next to Yankee Stadium. and what about all those poor boys from kansas that can't play pro baseball anymore because someone from another country (RD) stole a few more bases and got that job?.....2.2 million avg starting salary.......................whew! and you want to begrudge a guy an english teaching job? and besides, this country could use all the english it can get......

There is so much wrong with this post, I really do not know where to start.

I guess its not the job that is a problem, it is the motivation behind the job search and the op's attitude toward long standing posters on this board. Op, you're a newby. You're welcome, but pay a little attention and be sure that the people that answered your post, know a few things more than you in the DR.

To the op, if you want to do something good, go and volunteer or search the employment forum. A few English teaching jobs are on there currently.

For the rest, according to amparocorp, all is well with the world, the DR, and the Dominicans.:rolleyes:

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
On 28 February, United States President George Bush cleared the way for the implementation of the Dominican Republic-Central America-United States Free Trade Agreement with respect to the DR and for other purposes. A White House press release dated 1 March 2007 carries the decision. US Ambassador in the DR Hans Hertell is scheduled to make the announcement locally today.
The American Chamber of Commerce in the DR issued a statement calling the proclamation "a new start, a start with clearly defined rules of the game that will enable businesses to compete more effectively in a global economy; a start when investors will have more certainty and confidence when making long-term investments; a start in which Dominican consumers will have more options and lower prices; a start where increased transparency will contribute to the strengthening of institutions and the rule of law."

Brooklyn-Chanel

Feb 18, 2007
What hypocrisy. From what I understand, it's okay for other Dominicans to go elsewhere to work and it's ok. However, if someone comes to your country to work it not? Marlie, please shed some light on this for me please

Last edited: