Moving to DR

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
marlie, we're not talking about puerta plata and the ex-pats that were fortunate to have enough money to leave their country and not get jobs.

it's a shame that people think that they can just move to the USA and get a job, which is essentially taking a job away from an american.........

the US embassy has been inundated lately with requests from people who want to move there and work in kitchens, laundramats, taxis etc.

if people took there heads out of the sand maybe they would see that the streets of the USA are not paved with gold............

the USA is an english speaking country, first and foremost, what is all this ESL, english as a second language, being taught in our schools, drivers license exams in spanish, press 1 if you want to continue in english,

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
On 28 February, United States President George Bush cleared the way for the implementation of the Dominican Republic-Central America-United States Free Trade Agreement with respect to the DR and for other purposes. A White House press release dated 1 March 2007 carries the decision. US Ambassador in the DR Hans Hertell is scheduled to make the announcement locally today.
The American Chamber of Commerce in the DR issued a statement calling the proclamation "a new start, a start with clearly defined rules of the game that will enable businesses to compete more effectively in a global economy; a start when investors will have more certainty and confidence when making long-term investments; a start in which Dominican consumers will have more options and lower prices; a start where increased transparency will contribute to the strengthening of institutions and the rule of law."

That is all fine and dandy - but where does it say that under this Free Trade Agreement that it is allowing all foreigners to come to the DR and work. It mentions investors, competition in the global economy and competetive pricing for Dominican consumers. It does not state that all foreign investors in the DR should only employ foreigners to work in their business. It is opening up avenues for more employment for Dominicans as more investors discover the DR.

You live in Canada - so you know that Canada is also in a free-trade agreement with the US and Mexico. It does not give us the right to move to the US and work. In fact, a Canadian can not work in the US unless it is a job that is in shortage, or that is a specialized position, and lastly, that no American can or will do! Don't bother arguing this fact with me, as I know personally. It is the same for a US citizen that wants to come to Canada to work.

The free trade agreement has nothing to do with providing any foreigner the right to work at a job that a Dominican is willing and capable of doing.

What hypocrisy. From what I understand, it's okay for other Dominicans to go elsewhere to work and it's ok. However, if someone comes to your country to work it not? Marlie, please shed some light on this for me please

Well, let us put it this way. Take that up with the government. I do not know the process in Canada in regards to a Dominican and how they gain employment. I am not sure that they don't go through the stringent process similar to say, a US citizen. In that case, the job has to be listed up to 6 months with the HRDC offices, and upon no Canadian applying or qualifying for the job, then is granted a work visa for either 6 months or 1 year. As the end of this term nears, the job must be posted once again by the employer for the time period, and the process repeats itself. Again, do not argue this fact, I have lived this experience personally.

What I am saying is I do not know if this applies to a Dominican immigrant. Someone else may be able to shed some light on this. The government of Canada and the US make the rules - I just abide by them.

I am not trying to go into a debate with you or amarocorp. I have expressed my opinion, and that is that. I do not care, and will not, continue to go round and round with you on this. I personally do not care what you do once you choose to do it. I do care, however, about the Dominicans and their plight.

Marlie

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
marlie, we're not talking about puerta plata and the ex-pats that were fortunate to have enough money to leave their country and not get jobs.

it's a shame that people think that they can just move to the USA and get a job, which is essentially taking a job away from an american.........

the US embassy has been inundated lately with requests from people who want to move there and work in kitchens, laundramats, taxis etc.

if people took there heads out of the sand maybe they would see that the streets of the USA are not paved with gold............

the USA is an english speaking country, first and foremost, what is all this ESL, english as a second language, being taught in our schools, drivers license exams in spanish, press 1 if you want to continue in english,

We are also not talking about the US here, if you have a problem with so many foreigners coming to the US to steal those jobs (that most Americans feel beneath them anyway or else they would be working in those jobs), take it to a US1 Forum - not here. This is a Dominican Republic based forum, to discuss what happens in the Dominican Republic.

Like I told the OP - if you have a problem with immigrants in the US and the fact that your country is becoming bilingual ( hey deal with it - us Canadians have had to put up with that all our lives! LOL) TAKE IT UP WITH YOUR GOVERNMENT!

I am done here.

Marlie