My chikungunya

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Juicing and vitamins will do nothing. Wr are lucky that something as simple and easy as repellant will prevent the illness. Half of my Dominican wifes gigantic family is in the hospital. They live near S.D. Got my Off with me all the time. I used to dislike using the spray but I am getting used to it.

Aug 6, 2006
Juicing and vitamins will do nothing. Wr are lucky that something as simple and easy as repellant will prevent the illness. Half of my Dominican wifes gigantic family is in the hospital. They live near S.D. Got my Off with me all the time. I used to dislike using the spray but I am getting used to it.[/QUOTE
===================================================
When they come home, get them to use it too. They may have no symptoms, but still be contagious that a mosquito that bites them might also pass this nasty virus on to you or someone else who has avoided infection.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Word on the street is that there are a lot of viruses around. Chikungunya take a while to be confirmed and a lot of people say they have it when it has not been confirmed. Now they are saying there is something in the rivers which is causing a virus. Who knows lol.

Matilda

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well, after a few horrible days in clinic, drips and scalples and people I don?t trust telling me a million different things I am out, ill but out. This big thing on my elbow blew up huge the other day, and every time I moved I was feeling my bllod circulate through the area, the pain got so intense I blacked out and woke up in clinic, arrived by ambulance. It turns out this was a very badly infected deep absess, and all of a sudden progressed rapidly and was on the brink of going septecemic. My arm is in a right mess, I?m pretty ill, on super duper antibiotics and told to stay indoors for 4 days
The doctor came to visit me on his own time and explained to me that this was most likely a mosquito, separate from the Chicki mostquito and getting my when my system is at its low. He also went on to tell me, thast he has seen this recently and people who did not make hospital and medication in time went on to lose limbs. So be careful out there kids, these little terrorists seem to be making a good bid for Dominican Domination, Alqueda shmalqueda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Well, after a few horrible days in clinic, drips and scalples and people I don?t trust telling me a million different things I am out, ill but out. This big thing on my elbow blew up huge the other day, and every time I moved I was feeling my bllod circulate through the area, the pain got so intense I blacked out and woke up in clinic, arrived by ambulance. It turns out this was a very badly infected deep absess, and all of a sudden progressed rapidly and was on the brink of going septecemic. My arm is in a right mess, I?m pretty ill, on super duper antibiotics and told to stay indoors for 4 days
The doctor came to visit me on his own time and explained to me that this was most likely a mosquito, separate from the Chicki mostquito and getting my when my system is at its low. He also went on to tell me, thast he has seen this recently and people who did not make hospital and medication in time went on to lose limbs. So be careful out there kids, these little terrorists seem to be making a good bid for Dominican Domination, Alqueda shmalqueda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful, Hug. What you describe sounds like me before I was hospitalized in Puerto Plata for a week with gangrene. It took a really long time to recover, and I now own a huge scar where the infected material was removed.

Get better!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The recommended treatment is Paracetemol 500 two tablets every 8 hours and masses of water and 7 UP and complete rest ..The pains in the joints of the legs and arms are lessened by the Paracetemol which can be purchased throughout the DR .The advice given in other countries which have this virus is NOT to take aspirin, although this is the standard pill for reducing fever

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
best treatment is with anti-inflammatory meds which Aspirin is not in the class. Tylenol, Motrin are all NSAIDS - non-specific anti-inflamatories which treats both fever and inflammation. I had symptoms about two weeks ago - went away after a few days but now back in the states and having symptoms again - sheesh.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
OMG HUG that sounds dreadful, please look after yourself. I know of two people in Veron (near PC) who got this dreadful malady and still have aches and pains a month or more later.

I hope they do find a vaccine because this will no doubt have an affect upon tourism (small probably) but still...

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I recommend everybody buy a nutribullet or juicer and start juicing, get some goodness into your system and build up your immunity to disease and illness.

oh yes I concur. The best way to avoid contamination is through raw uncooked food preferably cultivated with organic fertilizer and washed with dominican tap water. Come to think of it, I could stand to lose ten pounds. snark snark!

Yes I know how it is transmitted.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
HuG, thanks for taking the time to start this thread when you are so ill. As usual forum members have given you sound advice in supporting your overall wellness as your body battles this viral infection. This thread reminds me of Lyme Disease back in the 90's. I hope you have caring people around to help you. may I ask a question regarding the abscess? Did you pick up a secondary bacterial infection because your skin was broken and then you were exposed to a common bacteria? Are you being treated with an anti viral or something for skin infections like keflex?

I buy a can of spray when I am in a particular hotel that always seems to have mosquitos. big ones. They hover near the bottom of the room which I find unusual compared to gringo mosquitos. I assume that it is a nastier version of insecticide than is allowed here in the People's Republic Of Massachusetts.

I'll confess my "*ism". I am a species-ist. I value the human species above all others. I'm glad to live in a world with dow chemical, monsanto, lederle laboratories and glaxo-smith-kline. I believe we must live harmoniously in our environment, but I kill vermin without any concern for the karmic consequences.

get well soon.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
best treatment is with anti-inflammatory meds which Aspirin is not in the class. Tylenol, Motrin are all NSAIDS - non-specific anti-inflamatories which treats both fever and inflammation. I had symptoms about two weeks ago - went away after a few days but now back in the states and having symptoms again - sheesh.

i think that is non-steroidal.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
My wife's son had it. His Pediatrician at Centro Medico Uce sent him home with Ac--(Tylenol). Got better then worse for a couple days. Normal since. Wife got it soon after. Took Tylenol but her throat blew up. Couldn't swallow. Spent a week in the Clinic on an IV. Fine for a week now. Evil thing.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
MoFo,
No, my Docs told me that this was an alteria mosquito bite that hit me while my amune system was down from the chicki virus. There are aparently many new mosquito virus on the island that they are anly now just learning about. And I expect will be kept secret until they know a Little more. I feel as though something was laid in my skin as I have a 2cm hole in my arm pit, a 4 cm hole in my elbow, on the inside of my arse there is an opening hole that I can not touch it is so painful, so you can imagine the toilet is pretty uncomfortable. I am springing out with these things all over and tonight I found another lump right next to the one in my armpit which has grown doubl? in size since this morning.
It all seems to be happening so quickly as if something is at work in me.
But my arm exploded which I am happy as hell about, and losing my arm was the biggest worry up until now. But I sat that and I dread to thnk where this is going. Has already cost me a fortune financially as well as mentally, it?s tough when your system is not so strong, and these things occur. I?ve been very ill over recentish years and I have no doubt this is why I am being hit so hard.