My credit card has been cloned !!!!!!!!!!!!!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They did not specify but because of the merchants, it seems to be online purchase (Ticketmaster and Turkish Airlines).

You should call ticket master , do you need their # .

ay dios, what a day i am having.

inside joke .. sorry ....

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Be careful.

I had credit cards cloned twice that were US based and my money was returned. Once promptly and once it took several months.

My wife had a credit card through BanReservas. A DOMINICAN credit card. We were in the US when about $1,200 US worth of charges were made in the Santiago, DR area. When she went to pay her bill, we find out about the fraudulent charges and protested them. The results came back that the charges were VALID, despite us having no physical way to make those purchases. That card has been cancelled and we us no credit cards in the DR.

I had researched this topic and found that the main problem is not at the points of sale, but the cards are being cloned with information gleaned at the credit card clearing houses in the DR by unscrupulous workers.

Indeed-That is what I have been told recently as well that information can be obtained though the processing of the transactions. Can not confirm that. I've had about 2-3 cards that had to be cancelled over the last 5 years due to this cloning issue.

My last card, I only used ATM withdrawals here in DR and online purchases.

Possibilities are that they are getting the information through video cameras at the ATM's or information is being hacked from websites..where the card could be on file-more likely.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't want to sound like Paris Hilton, but how ?
Do you pay all your transactions in cash ? Do you withdraw money from the ATM ?

I am not comfortable with cash on me. Last time in LT, 2 neighboring villas got burglarized, the ladrones were looking for cash, since they left some electronics.

I am thinking about getting a prepaid card next time and transfer from my account as I go.

We haven't used a credit card in DR in years, but we have a dollar account. We deposit checks into it and withdraw as needed. A prepaid card sounds good too, but don't use it for a car rental because they will put a hold for thousands on it, and you won't have access to that money until car is returned and card released. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Use Paypal for internet purchases whenever possible. No one sees your card number.

No one sees my real credit card number when I use virtual credit card numbers. And the protection is more than even PayPal if something is not delivered to me because of my credit cards added benefits. I found this out when an iPhone was not delivered a couple of years back.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Had a Chase Visa cloned in POP.
30 gasoline charges in Miami.
I found out when I went to get the cat at the vet in Tampa and the card was refused.
No problem, Chase negated all of the charges.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The title said it all! After a trip in December/January, my visa debit card has been cloned.
3 fraudulent charges appeared 2 weeks after my return: 1 in the UK and 2 in Dubai totaling 3,000 USD :mad:

I have always used my card in the DR and never had any problems in DR over the years despite the warnings. I withdraw in banks and used it in 2 supermarkets and sometimes restaurants.

I will be more careful next time, I learned my lesson. I should be reimbursed soon, but still, BEWARE !

So what is it, een credit or a debit?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
your quote says 'debit'... visa debit to be exact.

It is a visa card linked to my checking account. So I can make purchases with it (I have to enter a PIN while in the US), as well as withdraw money from my account . Isn't how you call it ?

chase-total-checking.jpg

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/debit-cards.html#1

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I had a $6500 surprise in late Dec. Two computers in Ontario and 3500 foregien currency in NY. Visa covered it without hassle but I have never bought foreign currency on Visa before so even they where surprised it went through.  Near as I can tell a restaurant employee in Toronto cloned it then sat on it for 2 months before using it or selling it.
If they ever catch the ahole I would like to shove the computers so far down his throat he will be passing parts for months.  Then I want to shoot him.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I never use a debit card to make purchases or ATM withdrawals here in the DR or any other foreign country. It can be a headache and take a long time to get your money back if the card is cloned, plus many banks will not insure the first $50.

On the other hand, I have had my Visa credit card number stolen/cloned several times here in the DR(twice I think it was a car rental company)and also in Costa Rica. Absolutely no problem getting things straightened out quickly and charges removed with the credit card.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I never use a debit card to make purchases or ATM withdrawals here in the DR or any other foreign country. It can be a headache and take a long time to get your money back if the card is cloned, plus many banks will not insure the first $50.

On the other hand, I have had my Visa credit card number stolen/cloned several times here in the DR(twice I think it was a car rental company)and also in Costa Rica. Absolutely no problem getting things straightened out quickly and charges removed with the credit card.

The totality of the charges were reimbursed and it posted in my account today it took exactly 4 business days. It depends on the bank I guess.

I never use a credit card to withdraw money because cash advances have crazy rates and fees.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
The crazy thing is that it s a newish card with a chip, supposedly more secure.

It happened to me at an ocean resort. Since then, I never let my card leave my sight. One of the favorites is to take it from the table to run it and copy the information down. The next day they were renting a car in Brazil.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It happened to me at an ocean resort. Since then, I never let my card leave my sight. One of the favorites is to take it from the table to run it and copy the information down. The next day they were renting a car in Brazil.

In Brazil, they come with the little machine to your table when you pay with a card, I thought that was a great.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I am thinking about getting a prepaid card next time and transfer from my account as I go.

I highly recommend prepaid cards. I have been dealing with online transactions for years, and prepaid cards are my best friends. They are rather easy to get, there are a huge variety of funding options available, and yes, your funds are pretty safe, as you can only put there what you need to use. Any non-wanted transactions are obviously declined as there is no balance left. In many services you can also set your PIN yourself, so if you feel that the PIN has been compromised, you can just set up a new one yourself.

While in the DR, I also had a system where we were banking with two European accounts. The main one, and the one connected to a debit card. We only used cash within the DR, and just like 30 minutes prior to getting cash from the ATM, we transferred the exact amount from the main account to the debit card account and went to withdraw that.

We've had a "main account" with Banreservas, with the debit card attached to that, and it was just fine, as the bank was where we were, but when we were banking with a European bank while living in the DR, I was not willing to put the funds on the main account under any risk.

Twice in my life have I had money stolen from a card, and yes, those were in the DR, a European prepaid MasterCard, but with an ancient German system, where I did not see any transactions in real time, only a month later (we cancelled that card pretty quickly). Both times I tried to purchase something from Amazon, Amazon then told me that transaction cancelled, yet in the statement a month later, there were two 100 USD charges from Amazon.com. Never ever have I had any issues with ATMs anywhere in the globe.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Prepaid cards are great....... but for the dr, not so much.

Places like supermarkets will want to see a cedula ( or ID ), even with a chip/pin number, european style card. The prepaid cards often do not have your name on it.
That said, you can insist to use them ( my example was la sirena. ) but it was a little of a hassle.

As for the diffrence between credit and debit cards, it seems your guys definitions differ from 1 to another.

In  my case the debit card :  the payements are effectively gone through in 1 or 2 day opening days. U need money in the bank to use it ( or u have a preset amount, of how much u can go over, ie think negative balance ). They are very safe, and if a problem occurs, u will get your money back.

In my case the credit card : they send me an invoice every month or 2 ( depends on which card ), with the listings of purchases.
In 1 case, they directly take the money out of a bank account. In the other, I pay the invoice either with a debit card or a bank transfer.
It can be more tricky to get your money back, in case of a problem, as I am dealing with 2financial institutions, the credit company (say american express ) and my bank ( to pay amex's invoice ).
Whereas in the debit card case, you are dealing with only 1 financial institution, your bank ( even though your card says visa or mastercard, its still your bank that issues it ).

Jan 7, 2016
Had my Chase Visa scammed at a NEW HILTON Hotel in the U.S...went there for dinner at the restaurant, used the card to pay the tab (In Nashville, TN) and in less than 15 minutes when I was at home the phone rang and Chase wanted to know if I had just charged $800 in California! Needless to say, I hadn't, the card was cancelled and new number re-issued. This also happened in Bavaro at Super Pola when they first opened...processor in Santo Domingo cloned the card and it was being used at colmados all around SD...$1500 US charges in food and liquor. Never got charged a penny, but I was informed that they caught the perp at the processing center in SD and he's now serving time.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Prepaid cards are great....... but for the dr, not so much.

Places like supermarkets will want to see a cedula ( or ID ), even with a chip/pin number, european style card. The prepaid cards often do not have your name on it.
That said, you can insist to use them ( my example was la sirena. ) but it was a little of a hassle.

First of all, I have had and have prepaid cards from a number of companies, and I have never seen a card without my name on it. Doesn't mean that they don't exist of course, but I have yet to see one. The ones I have used, are exactly as a regular credit card would look like, BUT occasionally a small "prepaid" printed in the backside. No other difference to regular credit cards.

I used to work as a cashier in my first job in Europe, and yes, I would have wanted to see an ID as well if a person would have tried to pay with a card without any name printed on it.

Secondly, to be clear, I never use any cards in the DR other than withdrawing cash from an ATM. My way of using those has been to load them shortly prior to cash withdrawal with the exact amount, and then go get the cash. I've never paid any purchases in the DR with any card. Always cash.