My Documents for Citizenship Were Accepted

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Well I will not be worried about the history/Spanish exam. I hear it is all about timing having all documents ready to submit together.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The exam I recently took had no oral part to it. I answered the questions directly in front of the examiner and had him grade it in front of me. Just the two of us in his office. He did not want to grade it with me in the room, but I told him I knew I had all of the correct answers so be obliged me.

The exam questions were ones that could be either answered in a sentence while a couple were multiple choice. There were a few example questions on the list I studied that were full paragraphs. If they had asked them, I would not have gotten them correct. So for me, yes it was easy because I really studied all the short answers. Not sure how soon those people will be working again for the swearing in. Some more businesses will be opening this coming week. And we are in the last couple of weeks for the curfew.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well I will not be worried about the history/Spanish exam. I hear it is all about timing having all documents ready to submit together.
That is indeed the challenge. Getting the documents and making sure they are current. So when you start, be sure you can finish before any might expire. I did the short lived documents last for that reason.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Thanks, it did go well. All the paperwork was accepted, I had my citizenship test last week and passed it. My swearing in as a DR citizen might be delayed by the CV-19 situation. Medina will make announcements tonight at 8 PM on CV-19 and what the government is going to do about it in the DR.
Congratulations Windy. Swearing in used to be the last Thursday of the month. Maybe they will start again in June. Citizenship is the best solution, this way you don't have to deal with Migracion anymore.... Thank God for that.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
Hello, everyone.

I hope everyone is well and Covid free.

I've been informed that the department will call each applicant that have been approved by the executive order. They will not be performing the swear-in to comply with the Covid-19 prevention measures mandated by our Ministry of Health.

Please stay safe.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
I am considering applying for citizenship. I got my residency in 2006 and its one of the better decisions I have made. Now it expires mid 2021 and I could either just renew another 4 years or apply for citizenship. I also think there is an option where you get like a more permanent residency of 10 years.

Hello, Mr. Boyter:

Yes, if you have had 10+ year as a permanent resident in the Dominican Republic you can opt for the Definitive one that lasts 10 years. Regarding the citizenship, please keep in mind that the requirements change every few years so it is better to check your options first.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hello, Mr. Boyter:

Yes, if you have had 10+ year as a permanent resident in the Dominican Republic you can opt for the Definitive one that lasts 10 years. Regarding the citizenship, please keep in mind that the requirements change every few years so it is better to check your options first.
Cynthia, Is the office open yet for swearing in new citizens? And is the office open that tests firearms for annual licenses?

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
Cynthia, Is the office open yet for swearing in new citizens? And is the office open that tests firearms for annual licenses?
Hello, Mr. Windeguy.

The swearing-in ceremony has been postponed until further notice. As of now, the are only giving away the certifications at the institution, if it's ready.

I believe the test is required as a firearm is a privilege granted by the State and for a person to have it, they must be clear-minded enough to handle the responsibility.

Please keep in mind that there is no second amendment in our Constitution. It is a privilege granted by the State to very few people.

If I don't reply fast enough, you can always contact me at my email ccompres@drlawyer.com

Reactions: aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My DR citizenship was approved and I received my documents on Monday in Santo Domingo at the MIP.

Because of CV19 there was no ceremony, they just handed me my certificates and an envelope with the paperwork to apply for my Dominican Birth Certificate (which was done the same day at the JCE in Santo Domingo) and instructions on how to get my DR citizens cedula and DR passport.

The birth certificate takes up to 2 months to process at the JCE, then I call and get a "code" from them with which I can then pick up that birth certificate up along with my DR cedula in Sosua - According to what I was told at the JCE office in Santo Domingo.

The DR passport is after I have my new cedula and may nor may not be possible to do in Puerto Plata.

I hope the change in government when all these workers will be changed won't mess up the final three steps.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My DR citizenship was approved and I received my documents on Monday in Santo Domingo at the MIP.

Because of CV19 there was no ceremony, they just handed me my certificates and an envelope with the paperwork to apply for my Dominican Birth Certificate (which was done the same day at the JCE in Santo Domingo) and instructions on how to get my DR citizens cedula and DR passport.

The birth certificate takes up to 2 months to process at the JCE, then I call and get a "code" from them with which I can then pick up that birth certificate up along with my DR cedula in Sosua - According to what I was told at the JCE office in Santo Domingo.

The DR passport is after I have my new cedula and may nor may not be possible to do in Puerto Plata.

I hope the change in government when all these workers will be changed won't mess up the final three steps.
Yes, you have to do your first passport in Santo Domingo. When you do make sure you have a copy of every document you submitted for citizenship, regardless of what documents they say you need.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, you have to do your first passport in Santo Domingo. When you do make sure you have a copy of every document you submitted for citizenship, regardless of what documents they say you need.
That might be a while if it has to be Santo Domingo. Understood on the copies and the incompetence involved.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Ups, just seen your PM.

I have the dr passport for the auto gate at the airports, it's an in and out in minutes without the need of filling any immigration forms.

Hi Bob.
Going through passport renewal and not that easy as I thought it would be after having dr passport for the last 6 years.

While online system showed me all submitted is ok and ready to make a cita, at the SDQ office they asked to have JCE upload all the document from 2014 again to their system and also get a MIP certification, what a rund around.

Did you renewed yours already?

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
This was actually my red face because it didn't stopped there.

Making a long story short:

So I did went from passport office to my JCE office which is in Plaza Naco
... there they told me that the main JCE office had not submitted them yet (after 6 years) and I needed to pick them up at the main JCE office
... but nothing was to be found with the number they give me from the first office, so they told me to go to the Registro Civil office
... got a number at this office to take it to the JCE Archive office where they then found all my files and made copies for me (could hardly read anything on the copies)
... with the copies back to my local JCE office at the Plaza Naco where they needed to scan and upload them to the Passport Office system.

Arrived back to the passport office just to hear that they can see the documents now and the only thing missing is the certification from the MIP, which is another process taking weeks and to request that paper you have to know in which news paper your naturalization had been announced.

Bottom line: Still have valid DR passport, Cedula, got legalized birth certificate within few hours and have all the originals of the naturalization on hand and it's still a hassle.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't see the sense in getting myself a passport

The Dominican line is short enough...no need for automated line
I rarely use SDQ... POP usually

and now - reading the hassle in getting it....
Well, I'd have my faithful lawyer do it.... so it would be easier
She has all the documents

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't see the sense in getting myself a passport

The Dominican line is short enough...no need for automated line
I rarely use SDQ... POP usually

and now - reading the hassle in getting it....
Well, I'd have my faithful lawyer do it.... so it would be easier
She has all the documents
She would have to have that very special envelope that only the Migracion department can open to issue a passport.
Something tells me you have to show up to have your picture taken unless your lawyer is your identical twin.

As for my getting the passport, time will tell. Perhaps they will hire IT people that can network computers by then.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ups, just seen your PM.

I have the dr passport for the auto gate at the airports, it's an in and out in minutes without the need of filling any immigration forms.

Hi Bob.
Going through passport renewal and not that easy as I thought it would be after having dr passport for the last 6 years.

While online system showed me all submitted is ok and ready to make a cita, at the SDQ office they asked to have JCE upload all the document from 2014 again to their system and also get a MIP certification, what a rund around.

Did you renewed yours already?
No, I just got it a couple of years ago. They did tell me that I could do my renewal in La Vega instead of Santo Domingo. I went through the same process you just describe to get my first one.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
She would have to have that very special envelope that only the Migracion department can open to issue a passport.
Something tells me you have to show up to have your picture taken unless your lawyer is your identical twin.

As for my getting the passport, time will tell. Perhaps they will hire IT people that can network computers by then.

Well they tell you that then only these people can open the envelope but it doesn't really matter, it's your original certification which goes together with a letter from you (your lawyer) to the JCE office and request a change of immigration status from resident to citizen.

Same day when I got naturalized we made the request letter and went to the JCE office, got there a special identification certificate right away and went to the passport office. Since it was in the afternoon already that day I picked up the passport next morning. So I actually got my passport in less than 24 hours after my naturalization while the new Cedula was ready about 5 weeks later.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
No, I just got it a couple of years ago. They did tell me that I could do my renewal in La Vega instead of Santo Domingo. I went through the same process you just describe to get my first one.

Yes they told me La Vega as well but then requested me to change the office to Santo Domingo, maybe because La Vega is closed or because of the additional paperwork I had to do now.

My lawyer told me that naturalization between 2014 - 2018 have this problems because of many fake passports during these years that's why they want all these papers uploaded again.

I'm in Jarabacoa so La Vega would have been much nicer of course.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes they told me La Vega as well but then requested me to change the office to Santo Domingo, maybe because La Vega is closed or because of the additional paperwork I had to do now.

My lawyer told me that naturalization between 2014 - 2018 have this problems because of many fake passports during these years that's why they want all these papers uploaded again.

I'm in Jarabacoa so La Vega would have been much nicer of course.
That really doesn't make any sense because yours was done correctly the first so that shouldn't have applied. The sweet young lawyer I talked to at the passport office was very nice though.