My DR strategy. What'cha think?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Well, if you handle yourself in DR the way you handled this thread... you'll be just fine! Good luck.

Talldrink,

Yeah, there's a lot to be said about being confident - so long as you have a legitimate reason for that swagger. But consider our friend John's argument for preparedness, to wit:

1. He asked about bringing a gun.
2. He doesn't speak the language.
3. He's never been to the country.
4. He's got no idea where one town is from the other.
5. He thinks he's going to find some altruistic soul to "guide" him through DR.
6. No. 5 notwithstanding, he doesn't plan on interacting with people until he gets a "feel" for the place - difficult at best, assuming you speak spanish - which he doesn't.

Another poster talked romantically about how some folks just go to sea, and see where the tide takes them. His plan is tantamount to attempting a transatlantic crossing in a dinghy with no lessons in seamanship.

He might well make it (just keep heading east), and I sincerely hope he has a great experience, but my point in a nutshell is that he'd stand a better shot by being more prepared.

Ricardo,

You should see her picture. Her username is most befitting (good lawd)....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Talldrink,

Yeah, there's a lot to be said about being confident - so long as you have a legitimate reason for that swagger. But consider our friend John's argument for preparedness, to wit:

1. He asked about bringing a gun.
2. He doesn't speak the language.
3. He's never been to the country.
4. He's got no idea where one town is from the other.
5. He thinks he's going to find some altruistic soul to "guide" him through DR.
6. No. 5 notwithstanding, he doesn't plan on interacting with people until he gets a "feel" for the place - difficult at best, assuming you speak spanish - which he doesn't.

Another poster talked romantically about how some folks just go to sea, and see where the tide takes them. His plan is tantamount to attempting a transatlantic crossing in a dinghy with no lessons in seamanship.

He might well make it (just keep heading east), and I sincerely hope he has a great experience, but my point in a nutshell is that he'd stand a better shot by being more prepared.

Ricardo,

You should see her picture. Her username is most befitting (good lawd)....
Funny how your perception of his OP is so different from mine.
1) He asks about guns and wisely takes the advice given, to forego getting one.
2) Seems to me he mentioned taking courses and being somewhat proficient.
I have taken spanish for 4 years in high school so I do not speak it fluently but I will master it swiftly upon arrival.
3) Not having come here is the reason he's asking the questions, which is a lot smarter than not asking.
He has already demonstrated a willingness to research DR1 for good info, as well accepting good advice, given to him.
4) He may not know where one town is from another, but nobody does until they get here, and I bet you that this dude is smart enough to read a map.
5) He didn't say he thought he would find this altruistic soul you speak of. He asked what we thought of the plan, which we explained to him might not be that great, and he seems to have accepted that as well.

If I didn't know better, I would guess that you were his ex-wife, the way you're ragging on him.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Dang it, Marco,

You take all the fun out of my arguments! Given your experience in DR, if you said the sun rose in the west, I might have my misgivings - but I'd still move my plants to the west end of the house to catch the morning sun.:glasses:

Ok, fine, he's a fluent, non-gun toting adventurer who will do just dandy living in a non-tourist area, especially after having spent 40 hours looking through the threads.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dang it, Marco,

You take all the fun out of my arguments! Given your experience in DR, if you said the sun rose in the west, I might have my misgivings - but I'd still move my plants to the west end of the house to catch the morning sun.:glasses:

Ok, fine, he's a fluent, non-gun toting adventurer who will do just dandy living in a non-tourist area, especially after having spent 40 hours looking through the threads.
How well he does remains to be seen, but he's got the advantage of being a lot more prepared than I was, when I moved here.
Of course, that was before the days of DR1, but I was unprepared in many ways.
I truly only knew 10 or 15 words in Spanish that I learned from John Wayne movies, and I had no idea that the cops were corrupt.
So the net result is this.
Attitude counts for everything.
Someone who comes here unprepared with a good attitude, will probably do better than someone who is very prepared and has a bad attitude.
The best scenario, would be to be both prepared and have a good attitude.
The OP is doing what he can to be prepared, and he seems to have a decent attitude, so I like his chances.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Mr Clark please Im me when you get here I show you a couple places in Santiago where we can Play Basketball.
Please don't get the wrong impressions about us (Dominicanos) Everyone is welcome here. Your attitude will be your best weapon here,Baltimore KY Az, Ny PA well anywhere. You have probably done more in your live that most of the ople that give negative opinions.
remember that a successful DR trip is 100% base on your expectations.
We have the Beach, Cities, culture, More Black than Whites many men of your hight(I am 6 4 310 LB).
Man I like your atitude you must be a sales person...............
So when you hit POP remember that e lChopo from Santiago Albin
Please come and enjoy our Country is our pleasure. We have welcome everyone in this Site one more wont kill us just makes us stronger.
Ah by the way their are some issues with Race here but its a bit complicated Is more of a Domincans/HAitians thing. I dont belong to the upper class so don't know how they view me as a Dominican York Tall Loud Black men. pero E pa lante que vamos so come!!!!!!1

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Berzin, if you're looking for bball games in PP, go to the bakery run by Benji Duncan (Doooncan) between Malecon & 12 de Julio and ask for his eldest son, the phys ed instructor at the Air Force base. There is a court just round the corner from the bakery where the older lads teach the younger boys. Get involved with that & you'll have no problems finding your games.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Looks like we found a spot in Puerto Plata, John!!!

If you beat me to it let me know how the "run" is over there!!!

Last edited:

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
What's up everyone? The OP is in the house and again, I appreciate the comments, direction and additional votes of confidence (Talldrink, Rocky).

Good news. My modified plan is working thus far as I have met (online) several persons who can get me to some courts in the DR at various cities (Berzin, khamari, chola1978). I have one person who has contacted me per conversational Spanish, though she's from Puerto Rico (quick...please...someone let me know if the two Spanish types, DR/PR, will pose a problem with my DR Spanish ie. idiomatic phrases, word choice). And I've also made contact with several persons who would gladly sit down over drink or online, chit chat and field my questions (planner, J D Sauser, dymmach, and others). Based on what Hillbilly said from day one, I should be able to network from these initial contacts.

Seeing that this is a community and all, I would think that these persons listed are considerate and kind hearted but if you know otherwise...let me know. No need for me to get jacked for a lack of knowledge.

For the naysayers I'll humbly utilize this quote courtesy of Dr. Gillan my econ. instructor:

"He who knows not, and knows not, that he knows not is a fool. Shun him.
But he who knows not and KNOWS, that he knows not, has a chance. He must seek knowledge."

I like that. Always have. I know there are things about the DR that I do not know but I believe that the persons on this board do know those things and are willing to share. Success is inevitable for John D. Clark. Thanks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have YET To Make Up My Mind!

Mr. Clark has a grand total of 10 posts on DR1. Some have him a "Saint",and some a "Sinner".
I take a "Wait-And-See" attitude.
After Mr. Clark has 20 or 30 more posts we will know him a little better.
On the "Internet",I take everyone as "Guilty" until they prove their "Innocents"!

My advice to Mr. Clark is to come with a 2 way ticket,and a lot of money!
You will most likely need both!

Cris Colon

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
John,

I only know Hillbilly by reputation, but word is he's one of the best people to know - anywhere, much less DR. "Rocky's" an amazing guy, you'll like him a lot. Talldrink's also very nice, but she lives in the states.

I haven't met the others, but nobody, including me, has a vested interest in seeing you fail. Quite the opposite, really. If you have a good experience, hopefully you'll tell other like-minded educated entrepreneurs, and they'll want to come and perhaps one day invest in the island. A good thing.

My apologies if I came across as negative. I was trying to encourage you to be realistic. But as others have said, you should be fine, which is my sincere hope.

Perhaps our paths will cross somewhere down there (in which case, I'll be more than happy to take some of your money at the BB courts). Meantime, best of luck.

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
Hey CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:

I'm definitely coming with a two way ticket and enough money to get me to my deal after the next deal. I'm also importing friends and family members weekends to weeks at a time so that I don't have to make so many trips back to the states. I figure if I can make them feel like they just went to a resort through food, fun and activities, they will continue to visit me. Everyone is excited about the prospect.

DRob, I appreciate post. I readily admit that I don't have every detail addressed but I figure CCCCCCCCCCCC's recommendation of "alot of money" will help with those finer points. If not. Back to the states or another island.

Now as far as you taking my money on the BB court, I would gladly just give you the money for a cold drink to quench your impending thirst after dealing with a brotha like me. The ILLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEESSSSST CRRRROOOOOSSSOVER, calling glass and pulling nothing but strings....if you know what I mean....ha ha ha ha. Later.