Status
Not open for further replies.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
My personal fave with 7up.

Brugal-ExtraViejo1-500x346.jpg

Apr 10, 2014
It seems all too obvious that the Dominican lifestyle and alcohol go hand in hand. In New York I have a social drink every once in a while and if I do not have a drink for 3 or 4 months I do not miss it. When I do my pilgrimage to Santo Domingo for the month of January, I am pounding down 6 or 7 cuba libres every day. One of the main reasons I can not live down there. I have met too many expats who have become permanent bar stool fixtures and have drunk themselves to death. Not my way of enjoying retirement.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Everyone has drinking issue in DR, if you haven't or don't then you aren't really integrating properly.

I'm not sure I could live in DR without a drink problem, the feeling of accomplishment when I havent accomplished anything is what keeps me going.

And yet you wanted to meddle in the life of a Dominican mother who finally landed a job and is working to support the family from 16:00 to 02:00 AM
Consider sports,learning Spanish, Creole, Travel the island, volunteer. There are more activities than getting drunk.
Don't blame your lack of accomplishments on the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
from 'The Great Race'... Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis

'Who is this Texas Jack ????'

Da Dum, Da Dum.......

Push the button , Max...............

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
lol...
When I arrived back in Canada after more or less 20 years in the D.R. i finally managed to get myself one of those "family doctors" that are so in demand but so difficult to find.
As part of the standard working up of the file she asked me about my drinking habits.
The look on her face when I admitted the amount of alcohol I would drink in a normal day was priceless.
I realized that the time had come to embrace moderation in all its glory.
I'm a lot more prudent these days and I was happy to realize that mine was an addiction in name only. (AINO)
A pure habit.......
Broken with a concerted effort.
Now excuse me while I go and refresh my glass of vino tinto.
:cool:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
lol...
When I arrived back in Canada after more or less 20 years in the D.R. i finally managed to get myself one of those "family doctors" that are so in demand but so difficult to find.
As part of the standard working up of the file she asked me about my drinking habits.
The look on her face when I admitted the amount of alcohol I would drink in a normal day was priceless.
I realized that the time had come to embrace moderation in all its glory.
I'm a lot more prudent these days and I was happy to realize that mine was an addiction in name only. (AINO)
A pure habit.......
Broken with a concerted effort.
Now excuse me while I go and refresh my glass of vino tinto.
:cool:

I always 'fib' on a couple of questions...

The drinking one..... and the sex one......
I didn't used to... but I got tired of the followup questions

too intrusive..... 'How Many??'

Like the DoubleMint twins...... double your pleasure, double your fun......

when they tried to put me in the Journal..... I left the room

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Ya
know, that's funny 'cause before we moved here my wife was kind of a ball buster when it came to drinking. She used to have two and be done, and hound my ass if I drank half the bottle in one night (I quickly learned that it didn't matter which size bottle), but two months after moving here she's got the blender going at noon! This place does strange things to people.
You know the answer stop drinking, if you can't stop after 1-3 drinks!
If you don't the only direction you will go is down. What do you want to do with the rest of your life?
You got the power!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I always 'fib' on a couple of questions...

The drinking one..... and the sex one......
I didn't used to... but I got tired of the followup questions

too intrusive..... 'How Many??'

Like the DoubleMint twins...... double your pleasure, double your fun......

when they tried to put me in the Journal..... I left the room

I remember the first time I didn't tell a little "white lie" when the question of drugs came up.
No....absolutely not.
Well....aside from pot that is.
The Doctor looked at me, smiled and made a little notation on her notepad.
I thought to myself.......
"Free at last.
Good God Almighty,
Free at last."
With all due respect.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
answer to both...??

as much as I can tolerate.........

sort of like..... until I fall over....... not quite dead

He who fights and runs away - shall live to fight another day.......great race , again
Prof Fate.... the Magnificent....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As much as this is probably therapeutic to many of you, it'd better get DR related if it's staying open.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As much as this is probably therapeutic to many of you, it'd better get DR related if it's staying open.

this is RD residents talking to each other... how much more RD can you get ??

I guess we could open a window and yell to each other.....

whiter than white.... purer than pure... more RD than RD ???
RD... drunks, what to do about about it?

AA locations coming up soon .... attached to a Bible meeting

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
All I can say is watch that liver!!!!!

I have seen to many die of cirrhosis. I would drink 5 long island ices tea in NY and while in DR on vacation. Members of my family have died of it. I think cirrhosis of the liver happens to drinkers wherever they live. It does not discriminate.

Just take care of yourselves. Boredom should not be a reason to drink. IMO :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my two aunts are alcoholics, one is 70, the other 65 or so. the liver can last a long time in my family. i started drinking at 15, stopped at 22 or so. i had my share over that time. now i drink a lot less. and no company to get the buzz on.

Status
Not open for further replies.