Myth or not the DR's cost of living is cheaper than many cities around the world

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
You are saying exactly what I do. All Dominican Republic is about freedom (for men mostly). Yes, life here is substantially more expensive than in USA. Things like health, education, infrastructure and personal security - are practically non-existent.

But I will never trade Sosua back for USA. To return again to the ranks of millions of rats, ants, rich-looking slaves? To be harrased and scared 24 hour a day by tickets, fines, letigations,propaganda? To be arrested and to have your car impounded in a sting operation just for talking to a girl?

Yes, we have to pay almost twice here for everything than it would cost in NY.

Listen, man, but freedom is worth it. We live once only. You cannot bring your dollars with you to the grave.

I'm your same age and live and work in Santo Domingo. It's true that my standard of living is not the same as it was in the United States. I pay basically the same amount at the grocery store as I did in NY and way more at the gasoline pump. Next to rent, gas is my biggest monthly expense. When you take into account a lower salary than compared to the US, your standard of living goes down.

I really cannot complain as I am afforded some basic luxuries in life, but for the most part, I find it amazing how many Dominicans get by. The average salary in the country is around RD$8,000 per month. This is what I pay in gas monthly and many Dominicans have to live on this and support a family. They are miracle workers.

In regards to standard of living, yes, mt standard has gone down financially and materialistically. This doesn't bother me much though, if it did, I would be back in the US. I always felt like another rat in the race living in NYC, another ant in a line of thousands. That feeling is not so in the DR, and in that sense, my standard of living has gone up.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Yes and No

1. Compared to three years ago 'Presidente' (lousy beer) now is four times as much (calculated in US$). (This also goes for 'Bohemia Especial' which is a much better brew.)

2. A family foodstuff shopping basket (of good Western living standard) is much more expensive here than in Europe.
This was not the case a few years ago but now better be taken in consideration when moving here.

3. Land prices have soared to an unjustified level with prices of 130 US$/sqm and more (often with no decent infrastructure and title uncertainty).

4. Yes, the weather is pleasant, isn't it?
Take a stroll on a lonely beach or in the campo opn your own (risk)? :tired:

Janin

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
1. Compared to three years ago 'Presidente' (lousy beer) now is four times as much (calculated in US$). (This also goes for 'Bohemia Especial' which is a much better brew.)

2. A family foodstuff shopping basket (of good Western living standard) is much more expensive here than in Europe.
This was not the case a few years ago but now better be taken in consideration when moving here.

3. Land prices have soared to an unjustified level with prices of 130 US$/sqm and more (often with no decent infrastructure and title uncertainty).

4. Yes, the weather is pleasant, isn't it?
Take a stroll on a lonely beach or in the campo opn your own (risk)? :tired:

Janin

Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint and it is fine if you feel this way about the DR. In the end, there is good and bad to everything. I cannot speak for Europe, but just as living in the US has its good and bad, so does the DR.

Yes, there is crime, high cost of living, low education, a general disregard for the environment, and don't even get me started on driving. I can complain all I want, as I do sometimes, but I choose to stay...why? Why would a young American with a U.S. education choose to live and work in a 3rd world country while making less money?

Because I feel I can do so much more here. It's a feeling of "it's all been done in the US". I got so sick of sending out resumes after college and killing myself at the bottom of the heap, in a sea of thousands. I mean, I was even put on a waiting list to volunteer at the Human Society! Not in the DR.

I bring new ideas to the table here and a different mentality. I'm working on projects here that would have taken me years of labor and promotions in the US. And instead of putting me on the waiting list, the animal rights
organization I volunteer at put me in charge of their website.

I don't want to get off topic but everything has its good and bad. For me, the good outweighs the bad here in the DR, and that's why I choose to stay.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Why would some peolple prefer to live here rather than the US?

Let Malvina Reynolds do the talking:

1. Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
Little boxes, little boxes,
Little boxes, all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky-tacky

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And Your Point Is????

IT IS easY NTO LIVE IN THE dr AT "26",WITH "yOUTHFUL iDEALISM",AND NO fAMILY TO SUPPORT!!
There is an "American" living in Santiago, who has done what I would consider to be IMPOSSIBLE!
That is, "Marry a "Dominicana",live,work,and raise a "successful" family,here in the DR! But like most, "World Records",I doubt that his will ever be duplicated!
I know that I am VERY Seriuosly looking at the idea of moving my family to the USA! ONLY for my kids!
I see everyday,the lack of opportunities available for them if they remain here!
Those "Little Ticky Tackys BOXES" look pretty good to me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
If, like me , you retire here with a pension from the UK, life is way cheaper here than there. For starters I don?t have to pay ( all equivalents) US$ 1000 p.a. to the municipality just to live here, gasoline at RD$ 294 a gallon, pork at over US$4 a lb, cheapest cut, a Jeepetea at US$20,000 there, if you?re lucky, fly El Portillo - Santo Domingo here at US$90 , the equivalent jouney by train in the UK is half as much again, bananas of course, cigarettes RD$ 380 for 20, fruit apart from apples twice the price. VAT 69 whisky RD$630, beer RD$140 a pint OK the police are better but there are more thieves there etc. I speak for Las Terrenas outside the tourist area. Electricity much of a muchness. Road fund tax RD$19.600. I could go on but you get the message. Yes I did know that for many things the US is cheaper than the UK. I?m stopping here.

pcross

Oct 12, 2005
I think it all depends on how you want to live . . . I have been here in Puerto Plata just under three years and have found it can go either way.

You can definitely 'survive' for a very small amount of money in the DR if you live in a smaller apartment, adapt to the power outages, little hot water, etc. But if you want to live in a house or a nicer property with stable electricity, North American niceties, Air Conditioning and better security then the costs start creeping up.

If you wanted to eat basically and buy local foods, it is less expensive yes . . . But if you want to buy North American products like Kellogs Special K, Ragu Spaghetti Sauce, Velvetee Processed Cheese, Charmin toilet paper, etc. you will end up spending more money then in Canada on your groceries. I sometimes lose track but the other day I realized I bought a box of cereal for $12 . . . lol

One huge difference I find is the low cost of eating out at restaurants. They don't jack up the cost of alcohol and food in many bars and restaurants like they do in Canada. (generally) If you go out in Canada to a bar, you end up paying 3 to 4 times more than you would have if you bought a bottle at the liquor store.

It is obviously possible to survive on a small amount of money as most local workers here earn less than $300US a month, but it may not be the way that many European and North American people want to live so that is something to consider before moving . . .

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Many that live and post on the board here are retired or semi-retired, as opposed to the likes of me, AZB, tjmurray etc. I guess we come from a slightly different angle, despite our youth.

It's not all about the cost of living, you need to throw lifestyle into the mix as well.

I have lived and worked in Brazil, Australia, USA, Japan, UK etc and my lifestyle here far exceeds any of the above countries. Lifestyle is priceless and at the end of the day and far out ranks if I can afford to buy 2lbs of tomatoes.

The DR is stress free for me, I can do almost whatever I want, when I want.
Business is good, I enjoy working, it's more of a hobby.
The opportunity and business potential here is wonderful, lots of growth potential.
The woman are amazing and the people generally very easy going and fun.
My materialistic side has been wiped out. I could go on and on...

When you factor in lifestyle, it's cheap to live in the DR. The level of lifestyle attainable here would cost you truck loads of cash in many other countries around the world.

I have lived the rat race and the only people in it are rats :)

faer

Jan 6, 2005
as Uruguayo said, an expat tend to expend more, due to fact of being abroad and as way to enjoy his "temporary leave" of his country.
In my case, I lived in DR for nearly 2 years. Took me 2 months to find the correct appartment, because the first 3 week I tried to find something like my home here in Chile and in the budget. Impossible, there's nothing like my 4 y.old home (220 sgr mtr home in 650 sqr mtr lot) in a condo for $800 in sto domingo. so my budget rised 50% to rent a very nice appartment in Serralles, well, had to do in order to get the wife and kids into the country, no way in moving them into a home without the same comodities back home.
Basic food isn't that expensive, but it's not cheap. But bringing beer as item to be compared, here in Chile I can buy a Heineken six pack for $4.6, and a good local beer for $3.8. As an example, small and exclusive brewed beers are booming here, and get to pay nearly $1.4 per a 355 cc bottle, but fot something very rare and with incredible taste. I remmember paying nearly $1 for a small presidente, thats expensive.
Meat, ufff...thats an issue for me, a declared carnivorous southamerican. Only imported beef was up to the task in the DR, and that was way to expensive. Here in Chile I bought last week a 7.7 kilos box of Choice export Sirloin for $75.6, that's less than 10 buck per kilo, and for something top quality, you can get it cheaper at the butcher. I know in argentina meat is cheaper, but they are heavyweights in the meat eating chain.
Nevertheless, the time spent in DR, the friends I made, the places I got to know are like mastercard said, PRICELESS. BUT always taking into consideration that I was an expat, with somekind of a defined timeframe. Lots of thing should have to be different (in terms of lifestyle and expense allocation) if I ever decide to relocate and live in the DR.

good luck, merry christmas and have a nice 2008...

francisco

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Lifestyle is priceless and at the end of the day and far out ranks if I can afford to buy 2lbs of tomatoes.

Fully agree Robert, I am 35 and literally choose to live here (in SD) because of the lifestyle, freedom, proximity to the US for a quick 1st world refresh if needed etc. In terms of job/work I am in the lucky position where I could move anywhere, off to California, Beijing or Patagonia tomorrow if I wanted to (Visa issues aside).

I moved to the DR 3 years ago to give you an idea of the time frame, shortly after the Dollar went from R$ 50 to steady R$ 30, when a mid-class apartment in SD was R$ 2.5 mill opposed to R$ 6+ mill today, a huge ripe avocado on the street was R$10, not hard & small for R$ 30 and so on. Over the past 3 years the costs have somewhat exploded from my observations. Some Dominicans making their mangu from powder mix instead of Platanos saddens me. On the other hand, when you google "DR expat" or similar, unfortunately a lot of outdated info and prices are still floating out there (not on DR1 :)

So far so good, its just money afterall. The counterweight lifestyle, freedom etc is still there for me, but has unfortunately been under attack too. Things like no drinking after 12-2AM, firework ban, Amet all over SD etc. may not affect me much personally, but they don't sit well in my overall lifestyle/freedom picture. I too try to look past the negatives but the rate of change is very quick in the DR so it is hard not to notice.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Damnit, I AM SOLD!!!!!!!!!

The DR is stress free for me, I can do almost whatever I want, when I want.
Business is good, I enjoy working, it's more of a hobby.
The opportunity and business potential here is wonderful, lots of growth potential.
The woman are amazing and the people generally very easy going and fun.
My materialistic side has been wiped out. I could go on and on...

When you factor in lifestyle, it's cheap to live in the DR. The level of lifestyle attainable here would cost you truck loads of cash in many other countries around the world.

I have lived the rat race and the only people in it are rats :)

I am packing up and moving to the DR (preferably Santiago), let the countdown begin 428 Days To Go!!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Come, But NEVER Get Married!

Or even have a "Long Term Relationship" (More that 15 days!) !
The guys who are the "Happiest",are the ones who play-the-field! And the "FIELD" here is HUGE,and ever changing!!
ENJOY!
Cris Colon,.."Do As I SAY,NOT As I DO!!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Or even have a "Long Term Relationship" (More that 15 days!) !
The guys who are the "Happiest",are the ones who play-the-field! And the "FIELD" here is HUGE,and ever changing!!
ENJOY!
Cris Colon,.."Do As I SAY,NOT As I DO!!!!"

Hahahaha, AZB said the same thing.

I've dated a Santiaguera, and she is a SUPER NAG and her entire family was on her side on EVERYTHING!!!!!! She is real BOSSY type and when she starts nagging forget it, she is staying on you, until you are down for the count, hahahaha. And Jealousy? I got caught "LEERING" at a cutie walking by and she rode me for the rest of the evening. They start off sweet, but once they got you, you're done. Don't even get me started!!

Ricardo
"Single To Mingle"
427 Days To Go!!!!!!!

Sep 19, 2005
Hahahaha, AZB said the same thing.

I've dated a Santiaguera, and she is a SUPER NAG and her entire family was on her side on EVERYTHING!!!!!! She is real BOSSY type and when she starts nagging forget it, she is staying on you, until you are down for the count, hahahaha. And Jealousy? I got caught "LEERING" at a cutie walking by and she rode me for the rest of the evening. They start off sweet, but once they got you, you're done. Don't even get me started!!

Ricardo
"Single To Mingle"
427 Days To Go!!!!!!!

richard it is all about making the wise choice.........choose wisely GRASSHOPPER.

I dont have any of the issues you speak of.....my biggest issues is the whordes of guys hammering to know her no matter where she goes...

her mother is fantastic...just gives and never asks for anything..sides with her me or neither...because she is human...and sometimes I am wr wr wr wr wr...oh never mind that word.

the biggest issue with her family is I try to get them things or gifts and they dont take care of them...they NEVER ask for anything.....but they never take care of anything either.

ha ha ha.....but they are gratefull, but indifferent..if that makes sense.

maybe just maybe I am lucky...

bad bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Men Stay The Same After Marriage, Women CHANGE!

Before marriage,they like "Cool Guys" who like to party,drink,dance,and have sex all night long!
After marriage,they don't want us to do those things anymore!
Go Figure??????????????????
Cris Colon
A "Special Note" to a "DR1er" who was at the Christmas Party,"Don't Do It!!!"
Now don't blame me!!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
LUCKy YOu!!!!

richard it is all about making the wise choice.........choose wisely GRASSHOPPER.

I dont have any of the issues you speak of.....my biggest issues is the whordes of guys hammering to know her no matter where she goes...

You did'nt think I wanted or tried to make the right choice:ermm:, you think it's easy for a gringo to get a fair shake in this country?? choose wisely??? HaH!! The minute I chose, It was too late!! They seeee you cumming. You think you are getting over but they got you!!!

Dominican women are cut from a different cloth, It's really clear why posters who live here like AZB, ccccc, Robert, Hilllbilly, etc.., point of view about living and dating in the D.R., is generally point on. I see why the posters say "if you don't live here"

I am dating a real santiaguera, with her own condo in gurabo, a jeepeta, career, and active passport with travels to aruba, europe, venezuela and argentina. And boy is she a handful!!!!!
Hahahahaha, Bob you are lucky dude, one in a hundred!!!

Ricardo
426 Days To Go!!!!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006

Question: is this a good thing that a woman is like that - allows guys to talk to her? I used to be this way - smile, talk and nice to everyone. My father and ex HATED it. Men in my culture think that if a woman actually allows men to talk to her and responds to them - she is kind of like ..... loose. A girl can carry herself so that NO ONE will show any interest in her or make a move even if they have this interest. Just out of respect for her. It would be interesting to know what people here think ....

P.S. I don't intend to hijack this thread, please delete this post if it is not relevant.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
I also am sorry to let my posts stray from the OP

but to reply....
I dont like it....but as she points out and I have to agree...she isnt doing anything wrong if people seek her out. She doesnt converse with them.

It is part of her life to get whistles and cat calls when she walks by. Once she told me about a guy that rode his suped up motorcycle along side her while she walked and tried to get her to go for a ride or talk or what ever.. she just kept walking and telling him her quick one word answers.

I asked her if that was rare....she said.."come on BOB, that happens several times a week"..when she was going into Santiago for school everyday

BUT SHE IS A 21 year old woman...she cant stay in a closet.....if people think someone is loose you cant stop that.

Is a woman supposed to stay behind closed doors her whole life because she is affraid what people will say... thus making her a prisoner of their life expectations.....

believe me I am the jealous type.....but I am a realist as well.

I have to be comfortable with my woman. thats where the DEMAND on her ends....

I dont care if any of the detractors are or not...people can think what they want....as long as i dont have to listen to them yap about my woman....things are fine....

bad bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Colombia is still more cheaper than DR and the quality of life in many cities is very high. Food is cheaper and lights 24/7 and not to mention, good roads.
Colombia wins.
AZB