Myth or not the DR's cost of living is cheaper than many cities around the world

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Alright. I totally see TJ's, and Robert's point obout lifestyle. Trust me, I held out for several years in Uruguay, working my way from $300 to $400 a month, and also making stuff on the side. I loved it there, the way of life, the pace, the people, the food, the culture, it was great. I also felt the same way that "everything has been done" back home, and there was a chance to do things differently. Unfortunately reality struck, I took a vacation back to Canada slightly before the Argentinian crisis, and ended up staying. Looking at opportunity, there was far more in Canada than I could have in Uruguay - especially given the economic turmoil at the time.

Now bringing this back to the DR, same thing goes. I initially went on a 3 month contract, I was making about 80 000 a month, and I also had savings. Believe me I was living it up big time, and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Once that contract and the money ended however, perspective changed. I was offered stuff at about 30 000 a month in call centres - how was I going to go for a 50 000 pay cut? Even calculating what I could do with 30 000, things didn't add up. So I decided to go back to Canada where I can make 30 000 a week, working less hours.

I hardly know any young people that make more than $30 000 a month. I know one guy that makes 40 000, another that makes 50 000, and my GF makes about 80 - 100gs - but it's a very demanding job that requires around 70hrs a week.

Anyhow, I have no doubt that some people can make it. I don't know how long Robert has been in the DR, but I'm sure he does well enough with the network he has made over the years. TJ, if you are doing something you truly believe in, that's great, a paycut is a not a bad thing if you enjoy the place you are at, and are happy.

As far as things go with me, as I look out the window to see snowbanks as high as my shoulders, and freeze my ass off everytime I go for a smoke - where do you think I'd rather be? But when I think of the idea of buying a house, starting a familly, having time to enjoy myself and take vacations, my reality is that I don't see that happening very EASILY in the DR - not that it's impossible, it's just improbable.

As far as this thread goes, I think I was misenterpreted as complaining that the DR is expensive, I don't think it is, I just don't think it's cheap per se, and I don't have a problem with that. I was just stating that some people expect it to be cheaper than it is, and feel ripped off when they find out it isn't - that I don't agree with.

Anyhow, as I said I'd rather be there. Now if someone can explain how I can do that, and still have the other things I want in life, it's welcomed - I don't need 80 000 a month, but something better than 30 000 would be great.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
*joking*

Plus in Colombia, young gringos have the opportunity of joining the lucrative narco-trafficking trade!

I knew it was going to come up.
if you ever go to colombia, you will see that 98% of colombians have nothing to do with drugs. There are no drugs to be seen anywhere unless you look for them. I didn't see anyone even talking to anyone in a threatening tone of voice.
Its just an average country with your average ordinary problems. If you go into dangerous areas and deal with shady people there, then I guess colombia is a very dangerous country to live in. Thanks god so many gringo think colombia is a drug dealers paradise where people get kidnapped left and right. So gringos, please stay in sosua and leave colombia to us.
AZB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'd like you all to get closer to the topic. The topic is not Colombia .. although compare cost of living as much as you want. A few posts are now deleted because they have zero DR content.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Gas here costs $4.50 a galloon!

Presidente, on average costs $9.50 a six pack. Average (50 pesos a beer x 6) About the same as what Heineken costs in the US. And comparing the quality of ****adente and Heieken is joke!

Why do I mention this- gas and beer are probably two of my biggest expenses!

Gas costs around $8 per gallon in some cities in Europe, 4.50 is a bargain!

Presidente is on the same level as Heineken, if not better. Ask a dutchman, they don't even drink it there!

Kalik (brewed by Heineken), the national beer of The Bahamas is $45 per case, or $40 wholesale.

Ever had a beer in Tokyo in a hotel bar? $13

Sep 19, 2005
if you AVERAGE in all of dominican society.....sure as a third worldcountry loaded with people living on the verge if not fully in POVERTY...it would seem that it is cheaper to live in the DR than any city on some list of the worlds most exspensive places to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT if you want to live a middle class life...WHOS ever description !!!!

then Id say that the DR is exspensive

but if you want to live like most natives , then yes it is cheaper

bob