National blackout?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nals

It simply never, ever, ever occurred to me that YOU who are SUCH a defender of the DR

who always is saying how perfect and wonderful everything is here

what advances the country has made

how great things are here

how glorious life is here

would actually be living in the USA

I was taken aback

STUNNED really

All this time I thought you were in the government, talking with cabinet ministers, using your advanced degree to help guide us along a to a better future

and now I learn that you are up there

in my home country

just cheering us along

and seeing the bright side

and saying good things about us

i am just disappointed, I guess

a little disillusioned

there is probably no Santa Claus either

but I am holding onto the Easter Bunny:bunny:
Awe.... you do have a sense of humor afterall! ;)

Do you know what's the best aspect of life?

Not everyone have the same time line. While some people have most of their life behind them - and with that possibility comes along whatever mark they could have had anywhere on earth is also behind them, regardless how big or negligible it was -, others have it ahead of them.

While some people's value in education, self worth, etc. are behind them, others are right in the midst of it.

While some people are getting ready for their last leg of their journey, others are just starting.

And with that, I revert to my previous comment:

...according to your fallacious reasoning, we must all conclude that SantiagoDR [or any US expat] knows nothing of what its like to live in the US since he lives in the DR. In fact, everything he says about the US is false due to his circumstances.

Nevermind anything else about him (his origin, where he has spent most of his life, where 90% of his family lives, how often in a year he may travel to his country and keep in touch with family members, acquaintances in the old country, where he invest his money, where he still owns properties, for how long each trip lasts, who he may know in such country, etc. etc. etc.).

That and the luxury of time makes the biggest difference in everything.

-NALs

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
SantiagoDR

I can proudly say I have walked around, across and through out the D.R. cities of Sosua(Both sides), Puerto Plata, La Vega, Sabana Iglesia and Santiago. Plus walked parts of Rio San Juan, Cabarete, SFM, Janico, San Jose de LaMartas, Samana, Santo Domingo, Moca, Mao, La Romana, Boca Chica, Altamira, Dajabon, Esperanza, Navarrete, Jarabacoa and a few others.

.... and seen what it's like in this country from the peoples point of view.

How about you NALs!

While some people's value in education, self worth, etc. are behind them, others are right in the midst of it.

While some people are getting ready for their last leg of their journey, others are just starting.
You are really rambling now. Past Life? Future Life?
Save some of that stuff you are smoking for the golden years.

So, you don't believe in learning from your elders?
History and experience means nothing to you?

That sounds about right, live for today, the hell with yesterday and tomorrow!

And a Happy 28 to you NAL's

You have gone completely OFF-TOPIC and are now attacking the posters.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This thread is not about Nals, Santiago DR or mountainannie - it's about blackouts, so please keep to topic.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The local blackouts have been much less today in my area of Santiago.
They do however seem to have a problem keeping the voltage steady.

Now we are on a very stable transformer, only 4 houses on it, plenty of available power.
Much better than the 85 volts when I first moved here!!!!!! ;)

Yet the voltage varies through out the day and night between about 110 to 127 volts. The 110 is okay, but 127 is not what I prefer for my standard 110-120 volt appliances and light bulbs.

The voltage ranges of 110/220 or 115/230 are usually the standard.
EdeNorte has been running as high as 127/254 volts lately.

Guess that's why some light bulbs at the store specify 130 volts.
Those electronic fluorescent bulbs are probably getting a shorter life span.

Still trying to figure out how my outside security lights burned out, since I run 2 bulbs of the same wattage in series for a lower light level and I thought a longer life span.

SantiagoDR
I survived the NAL's syndrone - 2009

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The local blackouts have been much less today in my area of Santiago.
They do however seem to have a problem keeping the voltage steady.

Now we are on a very stable transformer, only 4 houses on it, plenty of available power.
Much better than the 85 volts when I first moved here!!!!!! ;)

Yet the voltage varies through out the day and night between about 110 to 127 volts. The 110 is okay, but 127 is not what I prefer for my standard 110-120 volt appliances and light bulbs.

The voltage ranges of 110/220 or 115/230 are usually the standard.
EdeNorte has been running as high as 127/254 volts lately.

Guess that's why some light bulbs at the store specify 130 volts.
Those electronic fluorescent bulbs are probably getting a shorter life span.

Still trying to figure out how my outside security lights burned out, since I run 2 bulbs of the same wattage in series for a lower light level and I thought a longer life span.

SantiagoDR
I survived the NAL's syndrone - 2009
I have a meter plugged into a socket. My inverter flips at 85v, my UPS flips at 100v. The UPS has been singing for a few days now constantly, on-off-on-off.

My meter reads voltage jumps from 90 to 105v every couple of seconds.

In fact, my inverter has been reading a "short circuit" and sometimes doesn't flip to battery, when there are no short circuits in the system.

Weird.

Life in Paradise, I suppose...:cheeky:

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
update

you will all love this...
been waiting for my new factura from edeste,and received it today...now my bill has been around 1000 pesos for over 4 years...
today it was 17,464.57

went to office on independencia,waited my obligatory 45 min...officer I talked to said....mama mia...and gave me a reclamation form...they will be out to check my meter on monday
quite a raise!!!!!

and that is with all the blackouts...
bob

the electric company came a few days ago,checked my meter and left...saying there was a problem.

got a new factura yesterday for 0.0 pesos....now I am really worried...one for over 17,000 pesos,now one for 0.0

will go to pay the 0.0 on monday and see what transpires then...
what a country
bob

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
the electric company came a few days ago,checked my meter and left...saying there was a problem.

got a new factura yesterday for 0.0 pesos....now I am really worried...one for over 17,000 pesos,now one for 0.0

what a country
bob

And then you wonder why they call DR "El Pais de las Maravillas". That's a good story to share over a few beers in a meeting.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

what a country
bob
Funny you should mention that. They came out and changed our meter. Our bill has been fine. Goes up when more folks are here, goes down when it's just us...as it should.

They said they "recalculated" the usage since the meter was "bad". And gave us a bill for an additional $RD3700. Oh, really? Our usage has been in accordance with the number of folks staying at Camp Moto, and the meter is bad?

We went to the Edenorte office and spoke to the mgr, who told us it was "probably not correct", he'd look into it and let us know, don't worry.

:cheeky:

Life in Paradise...