Nationwide strike????

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
You know what?

Good.

If that's what it takes to get these people out of their collective comas and pay attention for a day or two, then good!

Folks, there is no fuel shortage. There is no propane shortage. Electricity's a bit more complicated but there is really no shortage there either. All of this could all be cured in a day with a stroke of the Bald Hippo's Presidential pen.

How would you like it if your business was selling plastic-corked champagne which you bought directly from the U.S. You have all you want available to sell. But all the other stores buy their plastic-corked champagne at a subsidized discount from a government plastic corked champagne wharehouse. When the government defaults on it's payments to the plastic-corked champagne producers overseas it must ration what's left to the stores that sell the subsidized stuff. But that doesn't include you, right? WRONG. The government now says YOUR store can only sell as much champagne as the other stores are getting from the government - EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T BUT FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND HAVE AS MUCH AVAILABLE TO SELL AS YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT TO BUY!

Sound fair? NO. Sound like a shortage? NO! But that's exactly what has happened first with electricity, then with propane, and now with gasoline and diesel. The government is BLOCKING companies with propane and petroleum products available to sell, from selling them. They are creating an artificial shortage!

Dominicans WAKE UP! This is NOT the fault of hurricanes, terrorists, the election snafus in Florida, the war in Iraq, yada yada, yada. It's the PRD ladrones trying to cover their tracks.

Don't be fooled! It is time for these crooks to go!

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I stay out of politics because I only know what is going on from what I read here. From all I have read I think it may turn out something like this:
US dollars will be seized and turned into pesos. All of a sudden between that and the May election all problems will be solved. No shortage of electricity, gasoline, or propane. It will sound like he has done a great thing in order to turn the country around and he'll get back in to rob his people for another 4 years.

Where the heck is GOLO ? TW the people need you!!

Edited to add
Tom you added what I was thinking as I was writing it.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Talked with baby's mom today who is from San Jose (Santiago province) because I was concerned. For Wednesday and Thursday "hypothetically" says she "might" know people/family, who will be participating in a protest/strike in the Santiago province and told me not to worry but again I use the word hypothetically as could be a dream I had. I echo the advice given by others, if you are staying in the DR as a tourist stick by your hotel/resort area and don't go traipsing about the country in your rental car for the next couple of days.
dale7

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
My store will be open for business tomorrow, I would love to support the strike but am losing my @ss trying to support all the holidays. I don't expect to sell much, but at least I'll get some organisation done. - That or make some serious headway on one of the many computer games I play during the slow days.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Tyres?

Chris said:
Does anyone know what the word is on the street about the protest? Are people preparing to burn tyres, or is everyone going to stay home and drink beer?
Who's 'Tyres'? A Taino-Dominican supermodel?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Strikes in Santo Domingo mean supermarkets cash in. Supermarkets this afternoon were packed. People traditionally stock up and family and friend gatherings are planned. Private schools told students to take the days off -- which confirms this one has widespread popular support. Even my younger's son's conservative school director, who doesn't even take off long weekend days when they fall on a working day, wrote to us parents that she was supporting this one. As of 7 pm, the news on the local radio was that the military were doing raids on vehicles searching for weapons. And that more than 25,000 military would be parading the streets. While the organizers of the strike do not have much credit nor a reputation as the spokesmen for anyone, there is a lot of popular support for the strike as a way of telling the government that "yatabueno" -- it's enough.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Dolores said:
As of 7 pm, the news on the local radio was that the military were doing raids on vehicles searching for weapons.
Confirm that here. There's been a roadblock at the entrance to El Choco on the main highway between Sosua and Cabarete most of the day, inspecting for firearms, machetes, etc.

Xanadu Ranch signing off now. No gasoline, no diesel, hell hardly any candles left. I am going out in the dark to see if I can train the ducks to run in a treadmill to generate electricity.

Tom (aka XR)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Huelga Watch...

Sorry if someone else already started one of these. Just a quick posting place for the Huelga. It'll probably pass quietly but people are always wondering where the "Hot Spots" are. If you see or hear something, post here. If I am out of line posting this.....just vaporize me and spare me the lectures :)

Monday Night 12:00PM, all is quiet.

Scandall

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Came to work at 6:30 this AM. Streets of Santo Domingo quiet!

At least where I live,Arroyo Hondo.Military presence on major inter-sections!Vendors busy starting to prepare "Street Treats"! All is well! Cris Colon

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From where we live (south end of Arroyo Hondo) we could hear a lot of noise last night. Explosions and emergency vehicle sirens. When I saw the newspaper this morning it made sense: we are near enough the Quisqueya baseball stadium to have heard the celebrations after last night's game.

Chiri

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I live pretty far from the stadium, but there were people partying in the streets all last night. Fireworks, horns blowing etc etc etc. Huelga wise all is quiet so far.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Everything is quiet so far this morning, but last night was a madhouse in Santiago, everyone was shopping like it was world war 3. We went to buy groceries to last through the strike, and the larger grocery stores were so full of people you couldn't even get close in a car. We went to a smaller one, which was also crammed full of people and couldn't even find basics there like bread and bacon.

My wife insisted on having bread and bacon, so I made her drop me off at home and go get it by herself, took her 3 hours, most of that time looking for a parking spot and then waiting in line for bread at Nacional, the number she took was 666 (no joke, now I KNOW she's evil) and they were attending number 248, so you can imagine she spent a long time in line.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sosua area

Went out this morning to pick our waitress up in Montellano, as there is very little public transport, if at all.
Everything looks "tranquilo" and there are military and police are all over the place.
Marco.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Eerily quiet this morning......

I drove from Santo Domingo to San Pedro de Macoris around 6:45am. Streets were surreally empty. I made the whole trip in 40 min that normally takes at least 1 hour. There were clusters of police/military officers in parts of Boca Chica and downtown San Pedro. No sight of burning tires yet.

People who need public transportation between towns might have trouble catching them as guaguas were scarce. Lots of people were trying to flag down whatever vehicle that came in to sight.

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
itabo/haina - military around, but all quiet.
about 50% of our factory workers have turned up - buses arrived less than half-full.
pretty much as expected really.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
huelga?

Not much support for the "huelga" here in Las Terrenas.
We don?t leave base but my scout told me that 1 (one) tyre was burnt in front of the mayor?s house at night.
People here traditionally do not participate in a nationwide strike, maybe because they have realized that it would not promote tourism.